• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hayle estuary (2 Viewers)

Haddock

Recently moved from Newquay to Illogan highway,wondering what size lenses are needed?would a 300 2.8 with a 2 xconverter be large enough.many thanks,Andy.

You been to Tehidy woods yet ?

Hayle estuary is large but has access or viewing all the way around and Ryans field is more compact.

Sods law says what you want will be in the middle.

When the Green wing teal, American wigeon, Long billed dowitcher were there they were easy photographed with gear like yours as they favoured either Lelant station or the road bridge.

The Avocet was always in the middle and the Glaucous I've seen were distant.

Being tidal being there at the right time helps - the birds will move up towards the Quay house pub.

Don't forget Copperhouse creek - Lesser yellowlegs last year and Carnsew pond (part of the Estuary) Pacific & White billed divers.

I use 1000mm and at times that is pitiful.

I was with a chap recently who had a P600 (2000mm) and that was quite effective.

On the way - Hayle harbour has two regular Kingfishers - look at the ladders on the quay side.

Millpond (ask a local where old Philps shop is) has a Water rail.

Spoonbills alternate between the rear of Tempest's works - on the right entering the Causeway and Ryans field - on the left while on the Causeway.

Peregrine comes for lunch sometimes - watch the Lapwings take off.

hayle estuary

hello chris,yes i have been in tehidy(to many screaming kids!)saw a king fisher there but couldnt get a shot.also been out perigrine chasing,between porth towan and portreath.i have just purchased a secondhand 400 f4 so i will try that with some tc,s.many thanks for getting back to me.haddock.

NEWS – Non-Estuarine Waterbird Survey.

This winter the BTO will be running the third Non-Estuarine Water bird Survey (NEWS). This periodic survey focuses on the non-estuarine shoreline, which is not so well covered by the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS). These rocky shores, along which extensive beds of seaweed may be exposed at low tide, or sandy beaches with extensive strandlines, can support substantial invertebrate populations. These are favoured habitats for a number of waders over-wintering in the UK. The Purple Sandpiper and the majority of overwintering Turnstone occur in this habitat, while substantial proportions (between 10% and 50%) of Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Curlew, Oystercatcher and Redshank also overwinter along the open coast.
If you are interested in contributing to this important survey all that is required is that you commit to visit one or more count stretches, each on a single occasion, over the low-tide period, on a day of your choice, between 1st December and 31st January. This will involve walking a stretch of coast and recording the birds you encounter as you go. Count stretches are typically 2km long, some a bit shorter, some a bit longer. It is essential that all waders and waterbirds using the intertidal zone are recorded, but we would hope that most volunteers would also count all waterbirds on the sea to a distance where they would be visible to the naked eye, and all those using landward habitat immediately adjacent to the shore. As well as recording birds, we also ask you to record mammals and information on the strandline. Additional visits are also welcomed. You can select a stretch for surveying online at http://www.bto.org/webs-news and find out more information about the survey.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back