• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Wot Dan, not heading to Shetland?:eek!:

I'm no twitcher ... although it would certainly be nice. Would it surprise you to hear that there are at least 3 lifers kicking around in Cornwall for me right now?! :eek!:

Anyway - success. Didn't see the Bittern, but a quick glance at Argal with the Common Tern handily flying right towards me ... ;)

Then on to the main course and probably the first wader, let alone shorebird I've probably seen at the reservoirs this season (not been out much) - the juv Pectoral Sandpiper showing nicely . Thanks to Greg Adams for finding it this afternoon and alerting me into the bargain. It spent most of its time hunting around the legs of the Canada Geese on the spit at the north end of the island - I have lots of photos of Canada Geese legs in case anyone is interested - but it did come down to the waters edge briefly too. Very nice!

Patch mega and probably the first yank shorebird at the site in a number of years (certainly the last 5+).

Attachments

• 100_9418-crop1.jpg
    100_9418-crop1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 24
Obviously the Canada Geese ... don't think John's been to Shetland yet.

And why are you causing trouble on the internet? - should you not be somewhere else yourself ... ?? ;)

Off to Spain tomorrow.... Leaving all these rarities to the twitching brigade!

I see the Pelican has finished it's Devon holiday, and headed back to Cornwall.. Good to have it on my 'seen from the house' list.

For those of you that occasionally venture away from Falmouth and into the wilderness south of Helston, you may be interested that Brian Cave's A Lizard Bird Diary is now available from Amazon. While not all will agree with Brian's rather unorthodox style to releasing rarities news, and the book itself contains a few surprises (e.g. a photo of a Roller perched on wires on Lizard Downs), this shouldn't detract from the main focus of the book. It's a wonderful account of all the species, common or rare, that he's seen on the Lizard, and offers great insight into patterns of migration and long-term changes, no doubt indicative of those happening to birds elsewhere. It makes for fascinating reading, and I thoroughly recommend getting a copy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back