• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

I'm visiting Cornwall for a couple of days this week and I was hoping to find the Ring-billed gull at the Hayle Estuary. Does it show better at low tide or high tide or is its presence independent of the tide?

Also are there any areas anyone would particularly recommend for Chough at the moment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

RB Gull: If you look out from the Hayle Estuary causeway bridge (a small river flows out into the estuary) then you have a good chance for the gull. it can be the closest of all the gulls.

Chough: Shouldn't have too much problem if, say, sea-watching at Pendeen or Porthgwarra, or if walking the coast path around those areas.

Please post any news you have to [email protected] and check out our news page, http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

tony mills

I'm visiting Cornwall for a couple of days this week and I was hoping to find the Ring-billed gull at the Hayle Estuary. Does it show better at low tide or high tide or is its presence independent of the tide?

Also are there any areas anyone would particularly recommend for Chough at the moment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

RB Gull: If you look out from the Hayle Estuary causeway bridge (a small river flows out into the estuary) then you have a good chance for the gull. it can be the closest of all the gulls.

Chough: Shouldn't have too much problem if, say, sea-watching at Pendeen or Porthgwarra, or if walking the coast path around those areas.

Please post any news you have to [email protected] and check out our news page, http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

tony mills

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll make sure I forward any sightings to that email address.

Ian

I am staying in hayle at the moment but dont know the area at all. Would anybody be able to direct me to the cause way bridge . Im staying just by the bluff inn. Thanks in advance.

Head out of Hayle towards Penzance. Just as you exit the town there's a factory warehouse on the righthand side and then the expanse of the estuary appears. Carry on for about 200m around the edge of the estuary, this is the causeway. Ryan's Field is on the left with a hide at the far end. Then there is a small river that flows out into the estuary under the road, this is where the causeway bridge is. If you carry on the road heads away from the estuary and uphill to the A30 roundabout. If you get to the roundabout you've gone too far.

hope that helps.

For local bird news check out www.cbwps.org.uk and go to the recent sightings which is updated at the end of each day.

cheers,
tony mills

Best to park at Ryans Field RSPB and then walk past the hide down to the estuary. Go through the gate and cross the dual carriageway. Look over the wall and you will be standing on the "road bridge". Roger

Good morning
I am a Norfolk based birder, booked on my pelagic from the Scillys early August. Since my bird list is 99% Norfolk & Suffolk I was wonder what I could find if I extended my stay a day or two. What are my chances of finding chough or cirl Bunting?

Thanks in advance ��

On mainland Cornwall you'll find Chough quite easy anywhere along the coast from Porthgwarra to Pendeen, best spots are likely to be Kenidjack to Bottalack. For Cirl Bunts you'll need to go upcountry to the Roseland Peninsula.
cheers,
tony

Tony must be a real Penwith stalwart to call the Roseland peninsula 'upcountry'. It must be at least twenty miles !!

Steve

Cornwall Birding Thread

Evening all, seems like an eternity since I was on Birdforum and looks like the Cornwall Birding thread has taken a bit of a break! Last thread was over 12 months ago!! Gonna try and rectify that seeing as it is Cornwall Birdings 10th Anniversary at the end of May this year. It all started with this thread on the 14th February 2007 and the website started proper on 14th June 2007. Since then we have gone from strength to strength and now boast between 20 and 30,000 hits per month. Im hoping to put some regular sightings and other Cornwall Birding stuff on the thread, so feel free to start adding your own sightings again.

cheers,

Paul

Todays Sightings so far in Cornwall 27/01/2017

Penzance – Pacific Diver off Jubilee Pool at 0900hrs. Also Common Scoter (10+), Ringed Plover (48), Sanderling (80+), Purple Sandpiper (12), Eider (drk) and Med Gull.

Sancreed – Cattle Egret (3) in fields at Sellan Farm viewed from car park at Drift reservoir. Also Mandarin (2), Great Crested Grebe (3) and Wigeon (15+) at Drift Reservoir.

Mousehole – Eastern Black Redstart still on rocks between Rockpool cafe and harbour car park, showing well. Also Grey Wagtail (2), and Rock Pipit (2)

More at www.cornwall-birding.co.uk

Penzance Pacific Diver etc...

The Diver was quite difficult at times this morning. It wasn't particularly distant but the swell and wind made viewing quite difficult and the bird was constantly diving. Same went for the small flock of Common Scoter. Waders at Jubilee pool were much more obliging tho. Never seen so many sanderling condensed into that small beach just over the sea wall! Good views of the 12 or so Purple Sandpipers too.
And the Eastern Black Redstart showed well again at Mousehole!

Bit Blowy Down West

Very windy with a few heavy showers today and more to come over the next 24hrs by the looks of things. Todays news so far from Cornwall Birding website:

Saltash Cattle Egret (3) at Kingsmill Lake, viewed from Hide at China Fleet Club (Thanks C.Buckland)

Freathy Cattle Egret (2) still in horse paddock at Radford Lane between Stone Farm and Withnoe Barton this afternoon

BudeCattle Egret (5) on rugby pitch this morning (Thanks R.Maye)

PenzanceYellow-legged Gull (ad) at Larrigan Rocks. Also Med Gull (4) (Thanks G.Hobin)

Monthly Round-up in Cornwall - January 2017

New Years Day saw the Pacific Diver, Eastern Black Redstart and Hudsonian Whimbrel still in their respective wintering quarters in Mounts Bay and the now resident Spoonbill remained at Hayle. A Ring-billed Gull was on the Gannel Estuary and the Penpol Creek Cattle Egret Roost numbered seventeen individuals. There were a further three still at Sellan Farm, Sancreed and three at Bude. A Yellow-browed Warbler was at Swanvale, Falmouth and a Yellow-legged Gull and Caspian Gull were at Marazion. Two Black-necked Grebes were at Drift Reservoir and the Carrick Roads held a further six birds along with eight Red-breasted Mergansers and and Velvet Scoter. READ MORE..........

Todays Reports so far from Cornwall

Perranuthnoe – Hudsonian Whimbrel (ad) still at Trenow Cove mid morning. Pacific Diver (ad) offshore mid morning. Also Black-throated Diver (33) and Great Northern Diver (5)

Millbrook – Cattle Egret (2) in horse paddock off Radford Lane at Stone Farm at 1025hrs

Hayle – Ring-billed Gull (2w) still on Hayle Estuary RSPB early afternoon then flew over A30. Spoonbill still on estuary at Copperhouse Creek. No sign of Green-winged Teal.

For more updates see HERE

Sunday 5th February Cornwall Bird Sightings

Saltash – Cattle Egret (2) off Radford Lane in horse paddock at Stone Farm at 1400hrs

St Erth – Cattle Egret still in fields off Trenoweth Lane late afternoon

Bude – Cattle Egret (2) at Bude Marshes (CBWPS)

Helston – Iceland Gull (2) at Helston Boating Lake today

Newquay – Ring-billed Gull still on Gannel Estuary at midday, also Iceland Gull. Iceland Gull (juv) still at Porth Reservoir this afternoon

See more.......

Wednesday 8th February 2017 - Cornwall Sightings

Perranuthnoe – Hudsonian Whimbrel again in Boat Cove today

Saltash – American Wigeon again at Kingsmill Lake. Also Spotted Redshank, (Thanks C.Buckland)

St Erth – Cattle Egret in field off Trenoweth Lane showing well this afternoon.

Devoran – Cattle Egret (3) and Little Egret (21) in roost this evening. (CBWPS)

Bude – Great White Egret at Bude Marshes at 1420hrs then flew east.

Read More..........

St Erth Cattle Egret

The Cattle Egret is still showing well this morning. From the main A30 take Station Hill towards St Erth, past the railway station on your left, under the bridge, past the entrance to the recycling plant, round the right hand bend past the farm on your left and the bird is in the second field on your left which runs up to the housing estate.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back