• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie taxonomy (1 Viewer)

Kryukov A.P., Spiridonova L.N., Mori S., Arkhipov V.Y., Red'kin Y.A., Goroshko O.A., Lobkov E.G. & Haring E., 2017. Deep phylogeographic breaks in magpie Pica pica across the Holarctic: concordance with bioacoustics and phenotypes. Zool. Sci. Early view

Abstract

We examined sequences of the mitochondrial control region in magpies (Pica pica) from the entire distribution range and found deep genetic splits into four major lineages: (1) group West (Europe-Siberia), (2) group East (southern Far East), (3) P. p. mauritanica (North Africa), and (4) P. p. hudsonia (North America). These lineages show a geographic pattern corresponding to known subspecies or subspecies groups. Genetic variation within the widely distributed group West is low and neutrality tests supported a recent expansion scenario. The haplotypes from Kamchatka, representing a separated sublineage with clear affinity to the European-Siberian group, are almost identical, implying a recent bottleneck. Group East contained two subclades without clear geographic pattern, presumably due to admixing of populations that had diverged in Pleistocene refuges. The homogeneity of the Kyushu population supports historical reports of introduction of the species from Korea. In contrast, the high variation in the recently established Hokkaido population might be supported by ongoing invasion from several populations of the Far Eastern mainland. Bioacoustic data based on chatter call differentiate groups of subspecies and reflect phylogeographic patterns, i.e., mitochondrial lineages. Furthermore, we report the fast spreading of P. p. jankowskii towards the west along the upper Amur River, and a slower shifting of P. p. leucoptera in the opposite direction thus yielding a new contact zone. Overall, our data support a scenario of divergence in geographic isolation, but the ongoing expansion of distribution ranges may lead to major changes in phylogeographic patterns.

Here

TiF Update May 31, 2017

Pica Magpies: After reading Kryukov et al. (2017) and examining the treatment in the HBW-Checklist (del Hoyo and Collar, 2016). I have implemented the following splits. The Oriental Magpie, Pica bottanensis, has been split into Himalayan Magpie, Pica bottanensis (monotypic), and Oriental Magpie, Pica serica. Moreover, the Eurasian Magpie, Pica pica, has been split into Maghreb Magpie, Pica mauritanica (monotypic), Asir Magpie, Pica asirensis (monotypic), and Eurasian Magpie, Pica pica (all other subspecies).

Song, G., Zhang, R., Alström, P., Irestedt, M., Cai, T., Qu, Y., Ericson, P. G. P., Fjeldså, J. and Lei, F. (2017), Complete taxon sampling of the avian genus Pica (magpies) reveals ancient relictual populations and synchronous Late-Pleistocene demographic expansion across the Northern Hemisphere. J Avian Biol. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/jav.01612

Abstract:

Previous studies have suggested that bird populations in East Asia were less affected by Pleistocene climatic fluctuations than those in Europe and North America. However, this is mainly based on comparisons among species. It would be more relevant to analyse geographical populations of widespread species or species complexes. We analyzed two mitochondrial genes and two nuclear introns for all taxa of Pica to investigate 1) which Earth history factors have shaped the lineage divergence, and 2) whether different geographical populations were differently affected by the Pleistocene climatic changes. Our mitochondrial tree recovered three widespread lineages, 1) in East Asia, 2) across North Eurasia, and 3) in North America, respectively, with three isolated lineages in Northwest Africa, Arabia and the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, respectively. Divergences among lineages took place 1.4–3.1 million years ago. The Northwest African population was sister to the others, which formed two main clades. In one of these, Arabia was sister to Qinghai-Tibet, and these formed the sister clade to the East Asia clade. The other main clade comprised the North American and North Eurasian clades. There was no or very slight structure within these six geographical clades, including a lack of differentiation between the two North American species Black-billed Magpie P. hudsonia and Yellow-billed Magpie P. nutalli. Demographic expansion was recorded in the three most widespread lineages after 0.06 Ma. Asymmetric gene flow was recorded in the North Eurasian clade from southwestern Europe eastward, whereas the East Asian clade was rooted in south central China. Our results indicate that the fragmentation of the six clades of Pica was related to climatic cooling and aridification during periods of the Pliocene–Pleistocene. Populations on both sides of the Eurasian continent were similarly influenced by the Pleistocene climate changes and expanded concomitantly with the expansion of steppes. Based on results we also propose a revised taxonomy recognising seven species of Pica.

Taxonomic recommendation :

Pica pica (Linnaeus, 1758) sensu stricto (comprising the six subspecies in the North Eurasian clade)
P. mauritanica Malherbe, 1845 (monotypic)
P. asirensis Bates, 1936
P. bottanensis Delessert, 1840 (monotypic)
P. serica Gould, 1845 (with subspecies P. s. serica and P. s. anderssoni Lönnberg, 1923)
P. hudsonia (Sabine, 1823)
P. nutalli (Audubon, 1837).

Pica Magpies

Song, G., Zhang, R., Alström, P., Irestedt, M., Cai, T., Qu, Y., Ericson, P. G. P., Fjeldså, J. and Lei, F. (2017), Complete taxon sampling of the avian genus Pica (magpies) reveals ancient relictual populations and synchronous Late-Pleistocene demographic expansion across the Northern Hemisphere. J Avian Biol. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/jav.01612

IOC Updates Diary Dec 4

Post proposed splits (4) of Eurasian magpies on Updates/PS

What do we know about the Taiwanese birds? They weren't sampled in this study. Are there any morphological or vocal differences with mainland birds?

What do we know about the Taiwanese birds? They weren't sampled in this study. Are there any morphological or vocal differences with mainland birds?
There were two Taiwanese birds in the mtDNA data set of Kryukov et al. 2017 (now [here]). They fell in the serica group.

Is there a range map of Pica sp(p). with the (sub-) species outlined anywhere?

edit: nvm, Im stupid. It's in the Kryukov et al. paper.

Last edited:
IOC Updates Diary May 18

Accept revision of Eurasian species complex, including 4 splits [Pica mauritanica, P. asirensis, P. bottanensis, P. serica]

Split from Eurasian Magpie follows revision of Pica pica species complex (Lee et al. 2003, Song et al. 2017, HBW).

Got very poor internet here in the field camp. Can anyone tell me the range of serica, specifically where it begins and bottanensis and pica subspecies begin?

I have a "Eurasian Magpie" record from Hanas Lake, n Xinjiang, China. Would someone with access to the literature please advise me of the likely taxa now thsat there have been some splits? I'm thinking bactriana.

Cheers
Steve

I have a "Eurasian Magpie" record from Hanas Lake, n Xinjiang, China. Would someone with access to the literature please advise me of the likely taxa now thsat there have been some splits? I'm thinking bactriana.

Cheers
Steve

Who's split it Steve, not the IOC, bactriana is still just a race of Eurasian Magpie.

A

Got very poor internet here in the field camp. Can anyone tell me the range of serica, specifically where it begins and bottanensis and pica subspecies begin?
HBW alive (which doesn't split the species yet; but oddly enough, they do split off Southern Nutcracker, which IOC doesn't) says:
P. p. pica (Linnaeus, 1758) – from British Is and S Scandinavia E to E Europe, S to Mediterranean, including most islands.
P. p. melanotos A. E. Brehm, 1857 – Iberian Peninsula.
P. p. bactriana Bonaparte, 1850 – Siberia E to L Baikal, S to Caucasus, Iraq, Iran, C Asia and Pakistan.
P. p. leucoptera Gould, 1862 – S Transbaikalia (Russia), Mongolia and NE China (Inner Mongolia and NW Heilongjiang).
P. p. camtschatica Stejneger, 1884 – N Sea of Okhotsk, Kamchatka and Anadyrland (in Russian Far East).
P. p. anderssoni Lönnberg, 1923 – SE Russia (Ussuriland), extreme NE China and Korea.
P. p. bottanensis Delessert, 1840 – WC China (Qinghai and W Sichuan S to S & E Xizang) and C Bhutan.
P. p. serica Gould, 1845 – E & S China, Taiwan, Hainan, N Myanmar, N Laos and N Vietnam.

Also found this map on wikipedia (allegedly based on HBW). I assume that hemileucoptera, leucoptera, and bactriana remain within Pica pica.

Last edited:
Who's split it Steve, not the IOC, bactriana is still just a race of Eurasian Magpie.

A

I didn't say bactriana had been split from Pica pica. I asked what the Pica taxon was in Xinjiang and suggested it might be bactriana. If it is bactriana then I don't get an armchair tick. If it is one of the other taxa then I might.

Hanas / Kanas Lake area Magpie may be P. p. bactriana? But the type area is Afghanistan/ eastern Persia, according to Bonaparte.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/141467#page/597/mode/1up .
Kandahar exactly. Collected there in 1849 by Captain Thomas Hutton (1806–1875).
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48206#page/131/mode/1up . That’s a long way away from Hanas.
Bonaparte says …”et uropygii fascia candida minime cinerascute! Blyth says “Afghanistan race is distinguished by its duller glosses, and by the band above the tail being white instead of ashy. Do you remember a white band?
To note Bonaparte was right Kandahar became part of the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom (250 BC-125 BC), and continued that way for two hundred years under the later Indo-Greek Kingdom (180 BC – 10 CE)

Last edited:
I didn't say bactriana had been split from Pica pica. I asked what the Pica taxon was in Xinjiang and suggested it might be bactriana. If it is bactriana then I don't get an armchair tick. If it is one of the other taxa then I might.

You speak of 'some splits', to what do you refer, there are no Magpie splits on the IOC list anyway, even the very distinct mauritanica is still lumped.

There are ten races including the nominate, listed on the IOC.

A

Last edited:
Who's split it Steve, not the IOC, bactriana is still just a race of Eurasian Magpie. A

In the accepted, but yet to be prepared for publication paper by Song et al 2017 (Publication probably 2018), is this taxonomic suggestion:

"In summary, we advocate the following revised taxonomy: Pica pica
(Linnaeus, 1758) sensu stricto (comprising the six subspecies** in the North Eurasian clade); P. mauritanica Malherbe, 1845 (monotypic); P. asirensis Bates, 1936; P. bottanensis Delessert, 1840 (monotypic); P. serica Gould, 1845 (with subspecies P. s. serica and P. s. anderssoni**** Lönnberg, 1923); P. hudsonia (Sabine, 1823); and P. nutalli (Audubon, 1837)."

I've attached two low-resolution maps from Song et al which might inform.

**fennorum, pica, melanotos, bactriana, leucoptera, camtschatica
****Described as jankowskii In Kryukov et al 2017.

References
Kryukov, AP, LN Spiridonova, S Mori, VYu Arkhipov, YA Red'kin, OA Goroshko, EG Lobkov and E Haring. 2017. Deep phylogeographic breaks in magpie Pica pica across the Holarctic: concordance with bioacoustics and phenotypes. Zool. Sci. 2017 doi: 10.2108/zs160119

Song, G, R Zhang, P Alström, M Irestedt, T Cai, Y Qu, PGP Ericson, J Fjeldså, and F Lei. 2017. Complete taxon sampling of the avian genus Pica (magpies) reveals ancient relictual populations and synchronous Late-Pleistocene demographic expansion across the Northern Hemisphere. J. Avian Biol. MS. doi:10.1111/jav.01612

Attachments

• Magpie sampling sites & taxa.jpg
    Magpie sampling sites & taxa.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Magpie Asymmetric Gene Flow.jpg
    Magpie Asymmetric Gene Flow.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 122
So regarding the OP, pica or bottanensis look most likely?

Any proposed common names for the splits, perhaps 'Northern' for the nominate group?

A

Last edited:
You speak of 'some splits', to what do you refer, there are no Magpie splits on the IOC list anyway, even the very distinct mauritanica is still lumped.
They have accepted the splits, actually, as reported by Peter [here]. (Even if this is not reflected in the lists yet.)

I've attached two low-resolution maps from Song et al which might inform.
The map in Kryukov et al 2017 ([here], p. 186 of the paper) is much clearer, I believe.
I think magpies at Hanas Lake (the northernmost point of China W of Mongolia) should be either bactriana or, if this is not subsumed in the former, hemileucoptera. Kryukov et al. keep them separate; synonymization is the more widespread treatment these days.

They have accepted the splits, actually, as reported by Peter [here]. (Even if this is not reflected in the lists yet.)

The map in Kryukov et al 2017 ([here], p. 186 of the paper) is much clearer, I believe.
I think magpies at Hanas Lake (the northernmost point of China W of Mongolia) should be either bactriana or, if this is not subsumed in the former, hemileucoptera. Kryukov et al. keep them separate; synonymization is the more widespread treatment these days.

Thanks,
very informative, one new one for me, like many mauretanica which is found in Morocco amongst other places.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back