Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

AOU 2018 Checklist proposals

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 18:57   #76
DMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
We might if we cared what names Europen field guides use but we don’t so you have nothing to fear. . .. That said, how anyone could prefer a vanilla name like “diver” to “loon” with its evocation of crazy calls in the northern wilderness is beyond me!
Probably because for most of us on this side of the Pond, 99.9% of the divers we see are distant (and silent) blobs in a scope!
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 19:33   #77
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
Probably because for most of us on this side of the Pond, 99.9% of the divers we see are distant (and silent) blobs in a scope!
I've only ever heard a calling Diver once and it was in Russia.

A
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 19:56   #78
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW View Post
A fair point and a strong reason not to standardize common names but let each region stick to its own.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Tuesday 22nd May 2018 at 20:33.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 19:59   #79
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I've only ever heard a calling Diver once and it was in Russia.
Really? And you call yourself a world birder!

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 20:20   #80
Farnboro John

Quote:
We might if we cared what names Europen field guides use but we don’t so you have nothing to fear. . .. That said, how anyone could prefer a vanilla name like “diver” to “loon” with its evocation of crazy calls in the northern wilderness is beyond me!
Because once you've announced "Great Northern", the milder ring of "Diver" doesn't matter, whereas "Common Loon" should be in an asylum.

Either way it's a corking sound, hugely evocative of wilderness. It's just that mostly in British waters they are silent. First ones I heard were sharing Portland Harbour with a Brunnich's Guillemot, if you know what that is on the West side of the Atlantic.....

John
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 20:31   #81
DMW

Quote:
A fair point and a strong reason not to standardize common names but let each reason stick to its own.
Fully agree! I'm a firm believer that common names should be exactly that - names that are in common usage - and when in the US, I'm more than happy to use such abominations as Horned Lark, Black-bellied Plover and Thick-billed Murre
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 23:43   #82
awiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Because once you've announced "Great Northern", the milder ring of "Diver" doesn't matter, whereas "Common Loon" should be in an asylum.

Either way it's a corking sound, hugely evocative of wilderness. It's just that mostly in British waters they are silent. First ones I heard were sharing Portland Harbour with a Brunnich's Guillemot, if you know what that is on the West side of the Atlantic.....

John
"Great Northern", ah yes. Considering it's not the largest (Yellow-billed Loon/White-billed Diver is bigger) and that in North America (where 99% of them live) it's effectively the southernmost of the "divers", that's an objectively terrible name.

(There's plenty of terrible names in the US too... but I can't see making "Great Northern Diver" a point of pride.)
Old Yesterday, 08:33   #83
andyadcock

Quote:
Really? And you call yourself a world birder!

Let me know when you find one in Africa, Tropical Asia or the Tropical Americas!

I had my first calling Black-throated on a camping trip to the Arctic just last year.

A
Old Yesterday, 08:37   #84
Swannery Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post

Note Zimmers comment on C livia, he seems to not understand that the species in the UK at least, has very few 'tickable' populations and none are in cities!

A
I don't understand why self sustaining populations of feral Rock Doves are often considered 'untickeable' but populations of Common Pheasant and Red-legged Partridge that are also topped up by thousands of releases annually are gleefully 'ticked'. What's that about?

Steve.
Old Yesterday, 12:34   #85
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
"Great Northern", ah yes. Considering it's not the largest (Yellow-billed Loon/White-billed Diver is bigger) and that in North America (where 99% of them live) it's effectively the southernmost of the "divers", that's an objectively terrible name.

(There's plenty of terrible names in the US too... but I can't see making "Great Northern Diver" a point of pride.)
Several years ago a guy told me that the biggest loon/diver ever measured on Heligoland was a black-throated

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 14:25   #86
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swannery Steve View Post
I don't understand why self sustaining populations of feral Rock Doves are often considered 'untickeable' but populations of Common Pheasant and Red-legged Partridge that are also topped up by thousands of releases annually are gleefully 'ticked'. What's that about?

Steve.
Which populations, why are they feral?
Are the Bempton birds of captive origin, the ones in the Hebrides aren't are they, I thought they were genuine, remnant populations?

Feral Pigeon is on no list anywhere either AFAIK?

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Yesterday at 16:53.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: