• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camel Estuary, Cornwall (2 Viewers)

camelbirder

While birding today, a friend said that it would be a good idea to start a thread, on Bird Forum, about the bird sightings and birding in general around the Camel Estuary, so lets get started.

An early morning visit to, the CBWPS Reserve, Walmsley Sanctuary produced some very good birding with a male Garganey, Wood Sandpiper and Little Ringed Plover all on show, a supporting cast of Wigeon, Gadwall, two Shoveler, Greenshank, Yellow Wagtail and lots of Mallards made the visit worth it.

The water level is fairly high at the moment after the large showers we have had over the last few days.

At lunchtime I visited Clapper Marshes, which by contrast, (to Walmsley), was almost devoid of life with only the Canada Geese in attendance and a family party of Mute Swans, a brood of 6.

Well thats a start, lets see if we can keep this thread going, and enlighten the birding public about this special part of Cornwall.

Good Birding,

Derek

Last edited:
I spent last Saturday and this Tuesday afternoons in the hide at Walmsley. After I had been in the hide a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon a Cattle Egret suddenly appeared and was actually getting its feet wet feeding by the flag stones. I didn't see it on Tuesday though.
On Tuesday there were 17 Whimbrel and a Common Sandpiper in front of the hide at Burniere Point.
Hope this thread is kept going as I will be down again next month. Roger

17th May 2008

This afternoon at Walmsley Sanc. the male Garganey was still present as well as the Little Ringed Plover. A few more waders had arrived today with 31 Dunlin, 1 Ringed plover, 2 Greenshank, a Ruff, a single Common Sandpiper and a Lapwing present.
Wildfowl numbers were the same as yesterday with the exception of two new Gadwall, a pair, which had joined the first year, "resident", male.
A Spotted Flycatcher was on the wire fence near the old hide.

A total of 50 species were seen in very enjoyable couple of hours.

Last edited:
A visit this morning to Clapper Marshes and the adjoining bit of the river Camel produced the amazing total of eight Canada Goose broods, containing 43 goslings, a single Mallard brood plus one Mute Swan brood of six, at one point 11 Common Buzzards circled overhead possibly attracted by the goslings, or the odd wild Rabbit flock that appears to contain white,black and fawn indaviduals in addition to the wild type.The only other birds noted being a Green Woodpecker and a singing male Blackcap.

Hi Colin,

Amazing total of eight Canada Goose broods, containing 43 goslings,

This total added to the Walmsley sanc. birds makes a total of 12 broods totaling a minimum of 60 goslings, no wonder they are doing so well.

I also visited Clapper Marshes this morning, the only interesting sighting was of a single Curlew.

WeBs Count 18th May 2008

A walk along the Camel Trail today, while doing the WeBs count, produced a few surprises, a singing Lesser Whitethroat at Dennis Hill, a flyover Yellow Wagtail at Old Town Cove, a Cuckoo at Cant Hill, (although one was reported there in the week), and the biggest shock a GREY PARTRIDGE at Tregonce.

Grey Partridge are few and far between now with only a handful of records in the whole county, although the Camel Estuary is probably the stronghold, this is my first of the year.

The rest of the count was probably of what was expected for the time of year with, 28 Little Egret, 14 Grey Heron, 35 Mute Swan, (plus a brood of eight cygnets), 52 Shelduck, (most of the estuary's birds are inland breeding), 24 Mallard, 51 Oystercatcher, 32 Dunlin, 16 Whimbrel, 30 Curlew, one Common sandpiper, eight Lesser Black-back's, 392 Herring Gull and 39 Great Black-back's.

Chiffchaff and Blackcap were numerous along the Trail, but only one Willow Warbler was heard and no Whitethroat.

A quick look at Clapper Marsh this morning produced nothing of any great interest with single Little Egret, two Grey Heron, two Moorhen, 14 Mallard, (and three broods), eight Canada Geese, (and two broods), and a single Sedge Warbler.

Up to seven Buzzard were counted circling over the marsh, are these birds really drawn here because of the goslings, (like Colin suggests), or is there another reason.

A morning walk from Pentire Farm to the Rumps produced 2 Common Buzzard, 3 Spotted Flycatchers, 3 Northern Wheatear, 6 Common Whitethroat a singing Grasshopper Warbler, Blackcap and Corn Bunting. The Corn Bunting was colour ringed, and probably a dispersing bird from Trevose Head.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 293
I called in to Walmsley Tower hide mid morning and found not a single wader! but still Garganey, Wigeon, Gadwall and Shoveler plus one Coot chick, the first for me this year. Sand Martin, Swift, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Blackcap, Spotted Flycatcher all showing.

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 278
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 303
Hi Colin,
On your visit to The Rumps, did you see any Puffins? All reports are that they have arrived back in greatly reduced numbers.

Great photo's by the way.

Derek.

Hi Derek,

No Puffin on view! just small groups of Razorbill, Guillemot, Shag, Cormorant and Kittiwake. Up to ten Common Swift over cliffs and a Grey Heron flying out to sea, a pair of Northern Wheatear look set to breed plus Rock & Meadow Pipit. ( This shot of a male Wheatear just missed the grade)

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 326
The Corn Bunting was colour ringed said:
It would be interesting to know if this bird has indeed come from Trevose Head or if it was caught on Pentire, have you emailed Clare?

Its sad about the Puffins, I wonder what the problem is, they appeared to be ok last year. I was told last week that the breeding gull population has increased, if this is so, I wonder if this is the reason.

Good Birding,

Derek;)

The R.S.P.B has informed me that the colour ringed Corn Bunting was ringed at Porthcothan on the 14th of June, and was the heaviest chick of a brood of 4.

20th May 2008

Unforunately I did not do any birding on or around the Camel today, (the lure of Red-footed Falcon at Boscastle used up all the available time), but Birdguides have reported the male Garganey is again at Walmsley this afternoon.

Walmsley at 18:00. A few waders showing 1 Wood Sandpiper, 2 Ringed Plover and 8 Dunlin, male Wigeon still with 2 pairs of Gadwall, Spotted Flycatcher at the gate.

Derek, I think it worth a mention, that the female Red-footed Falcon was seen today right over the Source of the Camel!

Derek, I think it worth a mention, that the female Red-footed Falcon was seen today right over the Source of the Camel!

Yes its worth a mention, its a pity its not closer to the estuary and a lot easier to see,

Did not manage any birding on the patch yesterday due to work, (its a hard life), but did drive past Clappr Marsh at 5 o'clock. Here the field opposite was being ploughed and over 200 Herring Gulls were feeding behind it.

A Barn owl was just outside the area at St Jidgey, yesterday morning.

An early morning visit to Clapper Marshes yielded very little with a flyover Ringed Plover being the best bird. There are now a few horses on the marsh, so they may start churning up the mud and make it more appetising for waders.

At Dinham Flats this morning a few waders were on show with single Greenshank, Grey Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit. Four Dunlin, six Whimbrel, 11 Curlew and seven Oystercatcher were also present.
Six Little Egret, a Grey Heron, 28 Mute Swan, 29 Shelduck,136 Herring Gull and two Black-headed Gull made up the bulk of the rest.

A Fox was watched walk around the base of Tregenna Hill.

Attachments

• Fox Cest 22-5-8.jpg
    Fox Cest 22-5-8.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Heron Cest 22-5-8.jpg
    Heron Cest 22-5-8.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 270
Yes!and I'm sure the female has been around all the time, and hopefully sitting on eggs, the fact that the 1st summer male has been displaying constantly to a female Mallard means very little (look at some human behaviour) but this time it looks like a failed attempt.The 2nd pair are new arrivals.

displaying constantly to a female Mallard means very little (look at some human behaviour)

Chance would be a good thing. But we can all dream.

This morning a Yellowhammer was singing outside my house, (this is very unusual), and 25 House Martins were overhead.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back