• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide to Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

martinrobinson

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this has been posted already.
I decided to buy a 4500 today after discovering like so many that my 5700 was not going to be up to the job. So i took a trip to Wilkinsons in Preston as the weather was so bad. I'd noticed that they supply a free guide to digiscoping which was produced in association with Andy Bright.

Anyway i bought the camera. Attached it to my Swarovski STS80 with the adaptor I'd won on ebay earlier this week. The guide was excellent as a quick setup reference. It provides a great list of camera settings which can be used as a starting point for those new to the hobby. I soon had some interesting shots of the bird feeder in the garden ( through a closed window covered in rain drops ).

If you send a stamped addressed A5 envelope to the Preston branch of Wilkinson cameras, they will send back the guide.

Hope the rain stops tomorrow so i can go try the kit out on the long eared owls at Marton Mere.

Hi Martin,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum and the growing ranks of digiscopers :t:

So it was you who outbid me on the Swaro adapter :C

Thanks for the tip on Andy's guide. Plenty of his info on here too in the digiscopng forums and with the benefit of the man himself responding to queries.

See you around.

Hello Martin, and welcome to the Forum. There are quite a few of us just embarking on the digiscoping path - I hope Wilkinsons will be able and willing to cope if they are flooded with requests! :eek!:

Thanks for telling us about it.

Thank you Paul Hackett

Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry I outbid you on the Swaro adaptor ( well not really ).

I've always been keen on photograhy but am fairly new to birding. My interest in digiscoping was recently accelerated when i visited my local haunt ( Marton Mere ) to check out the Long Eared Owls roosting there.

I bumped into Paul Hackett who was taking pictures. I got chatting with him and he was so helpful and friendly. I told him I had a digital camera and was keen to try digiscoping. He put my compactflash card into his camera and took some pictures for me. He also let me take some pictures myself with his gear, while giving me advice. He then attached another persons camcorder to his gear and filmed the owls for him.

His enthusiasm for the subject was contagious. He pointed me in the direction of Birdforum so that i could get information on using my 5700. Anyway after reading other peoples views i ended up getting a new 4500 today. So i guess my current bank balance is all his fault.

Anyway I'd just like to thank him publicly for his help. I've got some great shots of the owls now and will be going back tomorrow so that i can try and repeat the experience myself ( weather permitting ).

Hi Martin, welcome to birdforum.net. Glad you found the booklet to be of use, pity I'm not on any royalties but as it's only a rehash of my articles in Birdwatch magazine, I can't really complain at getting paid twice for the same material :) Still wondering why a Canon 10d shot ended up on the front cover... made up for some of the ropey repro inside.
You couldn't have done any better than to bump into Paul ...his enthusiasm and helpfulness is amazing, a great ambassador for digiscoping.
Regards,
Andy

Hi,Martin,welcome to BF.Yes the booklet you mentioned was actually advertised in the BirdWatching Mag this month.So if it is okay,may just send for it.
Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back