• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Some good birds this morning, different ones to a certain degree.

Did the moth trap, then we (myself and Will) did the two reservoirs.

Argal;

Common Sandpiper 1
Treecreeper 1
Nuthatch 1
Firecrest 1

Treecreeper, apparently a major rarity in the extreme south west, although possibly overlooked, at the south end. The Firecrest in bushes bordering the res. Skylarks (8+) and Song Thrushes (2 over plus others around), Curlew 38, GCG 2 Chiffchaff 2 etc.

College;

Wildfowl building up, slowly ...

Tufted Duck 7
Pochard 2 (first of season)
Teal 4
Wigeon 15
GCG 1

One of the Wigeon was an interesting bird; very grey headed, but with greyish flanks; presumably an American Wigeon/Wigeon hybrid type or even something else. Possibly could merit further study (was too distant for photos, was also present on sunday). c. 80 Herring Gulls on the water etc

No hirundines, although I had c. 20 Swallow over Treverva yesterday afternoon.

Yellow-browed warbler calling near Tremough Campus about 10:00am today. Was in gardens along Treliever Rd just near where it goes under the railway bridge.

Argal and College reservoirs today;

Argal -

Greenshank 1
Redwing 50+
Firecrest 1 confiding individual, down to 5 feet
Great Crested Grebe 1
Black-headed Gull 64
Herring Gull 123

College -

Highlights of
Pochard 11+
Little Grebe 6,

other waterfowl built up a little since my previous visit.

Hi,

I will be staying with family in Constantine this coming weekend. Would be interested in knowing where at Argal to look for Firecrest.

Thanks

Hi Alan

The Firecrest was on the western side next to the path. Looking on this map -

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SW763327

just below the printed '90' on the contour line, where the path curves around and dips through a little scrubby tree cover. It was in the ivy next to the path -they like these evergreen type bushes (like holly too). No guarantee it'll be there exactly or at all - the willows might be good too.

It's pretty muddy (but might/should get away without wellies, possibly? - College does need them really though), and presumably you know you can park at the roadside at the southern or northern end if you don't want to pay. There's a chance I might be up for a walk around the reservoirs on the day too, send me a pm if you like.

Anyway, good luck.

Hey Dan great thread
Being a native of Falmouth living in Somerset its great so hear whats happening - keep up the good work pal
:)

Darren

Hey Dan great thread
Being a native of Falmouth living in Somerset its great so hear whats happening - keep up the good work pal
:)

Darren

Cheers ;) Funnily enough I'm a former resident of Somerset, now resident in Falmouth - almost was a native, went to school etc in the sprawling metropolis that is Wincanton ... not reknowned as the best birding spot in the uk lol ...

~10 Curlew feeding on the Football pitch near the Firestation in Falmouth at around mid day.

27 yesterday afternoon. They're definitely back ...

Redwings in town too, and a reasonable flock (50+) Fieldfare flying over the road south of Stithians today.

3 Firecrests ringed at College Reservoir this morning, as well a one very pale tristis type Chiffchaff... photo in ID section.

one squealing Water Rail heard also

3 Firecrests ringed at College Reservoir this morning, as well a one very pale tristis type Chiffchaff... photo in ID section.

one squealing Water Rail heard also

Have commented as to why, on balance, I think this is an intergrade - but having seen it in the hand you are probably in a better position to judge than I am.

I had pure tristis at Carminowe (heard and seen) along with a Yellow-browed today and yesterday. Also very unusually high numbers of Lapland Buntings in the fields north of Loe Bar. A thorough scour of the area revealed at least 10, but they were difficult to count as they were quite mobile and in fact, there may have been as many as 20!!

Last edited:
College and Argal this afternoon;

Argal Reservoir;

Mallard 6
Great Crested Grebe 1
BH Gull 5+
Cormorant 2
Treecreeper 1
Firecrest 2
Goldcrest 1
Fieldfare c.10
Redwing c.10
Curlew 40 over
Peregrine 1 over with prey item
Woodpigeon 100+
Bullfinch 3
(Starling flock of several thousand distantly to the south)
etc etc

College Reservoir

Mute Swan 6
Canada Goose 29
Wigeon 138
Mallard 6
Tufted duck 39
Pochard 11
Goldeneye 1 (eclipse male)
Gadwall 1 (m)
Grey Heron 2
Little grebe 6
Coot 115
Moorhen 7+
Water Rail 2
GBB Gull 3

Goldcrest 2
Chiffchaff 1 ('Northern' - pale and strong super)

Edit: no birds appeared to be wearing any 'bling' ;)

Last edited:
A few Bramblings and a female Black Redstart on Tremough Campus yesterday

Nice. Is Tremough open/accessible to the general public - I'd guess it must be, at least unofficially?? And there must be Lapland Buntings in the immediate area - Rosemullion must had least have had some pass through ...

Nice. Is Tremough open/accessible to the general public - I'd guess it must be, at least unofficially?? And there must be Lapland Buntings in the immediate area - Rosemullion must had least have had some pass through ...

Yes it is, but in truth it's not a particularly enjoyable birding experience due to the number of people walking around. One of Stu Bearhop's students has put a load of feeders out for a project, which seems to be attracting bling. Still reckon if the valley below Tremough was birded more regularly it would turn some good stuff up. Common Yellowthroat springs to mind, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Worth checking any stubble fields for laps me thinks. 22 reported from the fields where I had 10+ on the weekend.

BTW - you probably know, but treecreepers are pretty rare birds in West Cornwall and always worth careful scrutiny to eliminate the short-toed variety. Will and I had one last winter, but certainly worth submitting.

Last edited:
nice male Black Redstart between Gyllyngvase and Pendennis this afternoon. A friend has seen several in the area over the past few days. Med Gull and Black-throated Diver in the bay too.

Ilya: Dan and I had a Treecreeper back on the 13th of October at Argal, maybe they are resident in the area?

The resrvoirs today;

Argal Reservoir;

Goosander 1 male
Goldeneye 2 'brownhead'
Teal 2
Mallard 1
Tufted duck 1
Coot 2
Moorhen 1
Great Crested Grebe 1
Little Grebe 1
Cormorant 5
BH Gull 20+
GBBGull 1

Treecreeper (sp!) 1
Goldcrest 2
Chiffchaff 2
Reed Bunting 1
Snipe 1
Mistle Thrush 1

plus various regular non-waterfowl species, including 2 each of Sparrowhawk and Buzzard, no winter thrushes.

College Reservoir;

Wigeon 211
Gadwall 9+
Little Grebe 4+
Pochard 6
Mute Swan 6
Teal 160+
Coot 135
Tufted Duck 45
GBBGul 1 ad
Herring Gull 15+
BH Gull 10+
Mallard 4
Moorhen 6+
Water Rail 1
Cormorant 5+
Grey Heron 3

Raven 2
Woodcock 1
Buzzard 2 in presumed territorial dispute

On the playing field on Trescobeas road (by Fire Station), 2 very cold looking Curlew.

Last edited:
This morning on the Pendennis to Swanpool circuit (with an additional stop in Penryn) myself and Will had a good mornings birding ...

Pendennis peninsula was fairly well devoid of interesting birds, with single Goldcrest, maybe a dozen Redwing and the ubiquitous Woodpigeons, some Greenfinches etc ... however the point was a lot better, a veritable wader-fest to be honest;

Whimbrel 2
Purple Sandpiper 4
Knot 2
Dunlin 1
Redshank 1
Oystercatcher several in the vicinity

2 or 3 adult Med Gulls too. There were some distant divers in the roads, but they were just too distant to identify positively. A smart male Black Redstart on Gyllyngvase beach flew up and over the road into the private gardens there, with a couple of Stonechat nearby.

Swanpool Cemetery was very quiet (single Mistle thrush the highlight), Swanpool itself was half frozen and hence most of the birds were more visible than normal. Highlights were;

Pochard 1
Wigeon 2
Teal 4
Kingfisher 1
Water Rail 7+ (4 of which were seen)
Firecrest 1
Goldcrest 1

In addition to the hundreds of waterfowl and gulls comprising mainly Coot, Tufted Duck, Black-headed and Herring Gulls. Little Grebes in single figures. Swanpool beach had maybe 10 Rock and 2 Meadow Pipits.

Penryn river held yet more waders;

Greenshank 3
Turnstone 6+
Bar-tailed Godwit 1
Knot 1
Dunlin 2
Curlew 9+
Redshank 12+

With 3+ Little Egret and 3 more Wigeon.

St Gluvias churchyard was quiet.

Just been down to Falmouth for a couple of nights and had the usual pasty while looking out at the sea from Swanpool beach car park. On Sunday (at about 3 pm) saw a female Tufted Duck, a Guillemot and a Common Scoter on the sea.
Yesterday, the Common Scoter was diving just off the beach! The Tufted Duck was still out in the bay, and a Grebe of some sort seen through the bins but couldn't subsequently find it when I got the scope up!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back