• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (2 Viewers)

Took another trip out to Mawnan to walk Rosemullion Head round to Mawnan Church.

30 Housemartin
10 Swallow
10 Swift
10 House Sparrow
Goldfinch
fem Bullfinch
Pheasant
Fulmar
Chiffchaff

Little Egret on beach with resting Common Sandpiper and curiously a Shelduck cruising round heading for the Helford

Thinking about it..that was probably a Dunlin resting up :smoke:

Apologies for not updating on here as often as I should, my laptop is broken at the moment.

3rd June

Seawatching a little from Swanpool and Pennance Point:

5 GNDs (2 sum plums), 1 distant diver sp., 34 Manxies west, 2 Oyks and a couple Guilles. Also in the area, 2 Rock Pipits chasing each other around below Pennance Point, c.50 Linnets in the surrounding fields. 10 Fulmar are back on the cliffs which was encouraging to see after their brief absence and a pair of Whitethroats were busy collecting food near the golf course.

The highlight was in fact a pod of c.10 Common Dolphins which came speeding through the bay leaping and clearing the water entirely at times as they travelled westwards. These were soon followed by a smaller pod of c.5 individuals!! See rubbish photo of the back end of one re-entering the water with its tail pointing at 45 degrees to the left.

Attachments

• June 2014 (2).JPG
    June 2014 (2).JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 50
Been mothing almost daily at numerous sites so haven't had much chance for birding (or sleeping for that matter). Moth highlights from the last week or so have included my first ever Elephant Hawkmoth at Pennance Point! Also been trapping at Mabe Primary School (whilst helping out with their BioBlitz), Mylor and of course, my back garden. Catches involved, Scorched Wing, Buff Arches, Spectacle, Buff Ermine, Eyed Hawkmoth, Poplar Hawkmoth, Large Yellow Underwing, Buff-tip, Brimstone Moth, Scalloped Hazel, Pale Tussock, Peppered Moth, Ingrailed Clay, Green Arches, Light Emerald, Willow Beauty, Grey Dagger, Lychnis and loads loads more.

Squeezed in a small amount of birding on the 5th June:

Spent most of my time watching the Fulmars on the cliff face. Very surprised when 24+ Sanderling flew west along the shoreline before disappearing around Pennance Point (may well have been resting on Swanpool Point before being flushed my the mass of people venturing over all the headlands and bays). Also 3 GNDs and a distant unIDed diver sp. (didn't have my scope with me that day though so may well have been more).

6th June:

2 GNDs (1 sum plum), 4 Manxies east, 13 Fulmar on cliffs, 3 Sarnies.

7th June:

moth trapping at Pennance Point also joined by 4 Foxes venturing around the golf course.

9th June:

Headed to the Lizard for the day. Got absolutely crippling views of Marsh Frits (a lifer)!! Also saw plenty of Small Pearl-bordered Frits and 1 Cuckoo (+ another heard "singing")

12th June:

My friend had the wise idea to bring me on a 13km hike at midnight returning in the early hours of the morning! Heard 5 Tawny Owls (2 juvs, 2 females and a male). Was in fact grateful to him in the end though as I also saw my first ever LIVE Badger!!

Swanpool to Maenporth today 0930-1045
8 Fulmar
Skylark
3 male Blackcap
4 Whitethroat
5 Chiffys
2 Greenfinch
fem Kestrel
2 Buzzard
10 Swallow
Linnet
Goldfinch

Last edited:
Been mothing almost daily at numerous sites so haven't had much chance for birding (or sleeping for that matter). Moth highlights from the last week or so have included my first ever Elephant Hawkmoth at Pennance Point! Also been trapping at Mabe Primary School (whilst helping out with their BioBlitz), Mylor and of course, my back garden. Catches involved, Scorched Wing, Buff Arches, Spectacle, Buff Ermine, Eyed Hawkmoth, Poplar Hawkmoth, Large Yellow Underwing, Buff-tip, Brimstone Moth, Scalloped Hazel, Pale Tussock, Peppered Moth, Ingrailed Clay, Green Arches, Light Emerald, Willow Beauty, Grey Dagger, Lychnis and loads loads more.

Squeezed in a small amount of birding on the 5th June:

Spent most of my time watching the Fulmars on the cliff face. Very surprised when 24+ Sanderling flew west along the shoreline before disappearing around Pennance Point (may well have been resting on Swanpool Point before being flushed my the mass of people venturing over all the headlands and bays). Also 3 GNDs and a distant unIDed diver sp. (didn't have my scope with me that day though so may well have been more).

6th June:

2 GNDs (1 sum plum), 4 Manxies east, 13 Fulmar on cliffs, 3 Sarnies.

7th June:

moth trapping at Pennance Point also joined by 4 Foxes venturing around the golf course.

9th June:

Headed to the Lizard for the day. Got absolutely crippling views of Marsh Frits (a lifer)!! Also saw plenty of Small Pearl-bordered Frits and 1 Cuckoo (+ another heard "singing")

12th June:

My friend had the wise idea to bring me on a 13km hike at midnight returning in the early hours of the morning! Heard 5 Tawny Owls (2 juvs, 2 females and a male). Was in fact grateful to him in the end though as I also saw my first ever LIVE Badger!!

RE Badgers:- There have been several dead one's on the A30 around Scorrier to Blackwater in the last few weeks. I was told by someone that several badger setts have been disturbed unintentionally by the ongoing work at Wheal Busy where a business park has been under construction for quite a while.

I do not know if this is true but there is a definite increas in dead badgers on the A30 in this area. ;-(

AK Wildlife Cruise 19/06/14 1100-1500hrs
East to Nare Head and the Dodman

100 Gulliemot and 50 Razorbill mostly on Gull Rock
50 Shag
30 Cormorant
30 GBB gull
15 Manxies
Oystercatcher
3 Swallows off Gull Rock and Portloe
Male Peregrine at St Anthony
20 Barrel jellyfish

Out birding locally for the first time in quite a while - a short seawatch and brief look at the coast with Samuel.

Pendennis Point -

Several hundred Manx Shearwater, passing west at 2+ mile range or milling distantly.
Good numbers of Gannet
1 Kittiwake
2 Sandwich Tern
2 Med Gull (ad or near-ad) St Mawes
10 BH Gull in Carrick Roads
2 Rock Pipit feeding 1 newly fledged juv
Whitethroat
Chiffchaff
Swallows prob nesting Little Dennis?

Guillemot and poss Puffin in Falmouth Bay

Castle Beach -

6 Med Gull (3 ad, 1 2nd sum, 1 1st sum)
2 BH Gull
1 Oystercatcher

Swanpool -

3 Little Grebe
5 Tufted Duck
2 Reed Warbler
etc
Various broods incl 4 Cygnets

Gorrangorras

4 Mute Swan
2 Little Egret
9 BH Gull

The patch neglect continues ...

Managed a quick look at the Penryn River at Gorrangorras this afternoon during a heavy shower - so stayed in the car and scoped it briefly.

13 Mute Swan
1 Little Egret
2 Herring Gull
4 Redshank

Somewhat surprised to disturb a young Slow Worm this afternoon in the middle of Falmouth whilst doing some gardening. Probably shouldn't have been surprised, but it's been ages since I've seen one.

Back in Falmouth again after yet another trip home to Herts.

Seems Dan is slacking a little with the updates (even when he's not on holiday 8-P ) so hopefully I'll keep the ball rolling despite a severe lack of internet at the moment.

Yesterday's seawatch from Pendennis Point early evening:

Manxies started at a rate of c.5/minute but picked up quickly as the evening wore on until a couple hundred were milling around offshore.

At least half a douzen Med Gull of various ages were kicking about the area and 3 small fully dark wader sp. flew west. A couple Shag's bobbing around offshore too and c.58 Common Scoter flew through westwards.

Most bizarre was a Roe Deer attempting a sea swim!!! :eek!: :brains: First saw it heading off out to sea from St Anthony's Head where it was promptly followed by a sailing boat who annoyingly forced it further and further from the land until it was c.200m offshore. Thankfully, the deer turned around and headed back to land. It disappeared behind a large rocky outcrop about a dozen metres from land where I lost it to view. All I can hope is that it didn't take refuge in one of the sea caves as they were soon submerged by the rising tide.

The smudged line above the left hand person's head is the flock of Common Scoter!

Attachments

• DSC06547_004.JPG
    DSC06547_004.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC06544.JPG
    DSC06544.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC06545.JPG
    DSC06545.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 43
Falmouth and Penryn residents!

I'm currently studying the diversity of macro moths in and around the Falmouth and Penryn area for my dissertation. I'm looking for any local residents who would be willing for me to put a moth trap in a back garden overnight for me to assess the change in diversity through urban to rural fringes of the town. I'm keen to hear from anyone no matter how big or small your garden is as it all constitutes important data,

Many thanks, Samuel

Please feel free to contact me on [email protected] or 07504486609

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fpfalmouth/11320614._Fal_moth__study_needs_your_help/

Back in Falmouth again after yet another trip home to Herts.

Seems Dan is slacking a little with the updates (even when he's not on holiday so hopefully I'll keep the ball rolling despite a severe lack of internet at the moment.

Most bizarre was a Roe Deer attempting a sea swim!!! :eek!:

Bizarre indeed!!! Wow! Think I may have trouble getting that one back, on a seawatch at least. Nice one, apart from the harassment of course.

(My highlights the last few days a few Black Kites heading south, a family of Golden Orioles kicking about, that kind of thing ... down here to work of course, although did also enjoy a dip in the pool with a dozen frogs and a grass snake.)

Should be back on patch myself come tuesday ...

Been mothing almost 24/7 and absolutely exhausted with barely any internet so not much chance to report the odd bird I see whilst walking around patch.

Med Gulls did increase in number with 21+ of Swanpool Point this afternoon and a Common Sand was calling in the bay in the early hours of the morning before going to sit on the bank of Swanpool by the minigolf course (only my second wader sp. I've seen on the pool!)

Curlews were moving over south over Pennance Point at 1 and 2am on the 21st and wader numbers at Gorrangorras have been picking up with a couple Curlew, Redshank, 1 Greenshank and a Common Sand.

Glad your time in France was enjoyable Dan, if only your post related to Falmouth birding ;)

Yep, so back last night and out this morning ... 7:30 onwards ...

Pendennis Point
was quiet, distant manxies and gannets west.

Castle Beach -

Grey Heron, Oystercatcher and Kingfisher -first I've seen actually on the coast for ages.

Swanpool Point -

52 Med Gulls - my highest local count, including c.25% juvs
60 BH Gull
5 Herring Gull
1 Grey Heron
1 Curlew
2 Oystercatcher
4 Redshank including 1 juv
JSL, who reported he'd seen 2 Whimbrel fly back towards Pendennis.

c.10 Bottlenose Dolphins out in the bay

Met Samuel who was moth trapping nearby, by then it was getting warm so didn't make it as far as Swanpool itself.

Falmouth and Penryn residents!

I'm currently studying the diversity of macro moths in and around the Falmouth and Penryn area for my dissertation. I'm looking for any local residents who would be willing for me to put a moth trap in a back garden overnight for me to assess the change in diversity through urban to rural fringes of the town. I'm keen to hear from anyone no matter how big or small your garden is as it all constitutes important data,

Many thanks, Samuel

Please feel free to contact me on [email protected] or 07504486609

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fpfalmouth/11320614._Fal_moth__study_needs_your_help/

Samuel,
Put one in my backyard. It's in town (Berkeley Cottages) so only a yard with potted plants, Ivy, etc.

Yep, so back last night and out this morning ... 7:30 onwards ...

Pendennis Point
was quiet, distant manxies and gannets west.

Castle Beach -

Grey Heron, Oystercatcher and Kingfisher -first I've seen actually on the coast for ages.

Swanpool Point -

52 Med Gulls - my highest local count, including c.25% juvs
60 BH Gull
5 Herring Gull
1 Grey Heron
1 Curlew
2 Oystercatcher
4 Redshank including 1 juv
JSL, who reported he'd seen 2 Whimbrel fly back towards Pendennis.

c.10 Bottlenose Dolphins out in the bay

Met Samuel who was moth trapping nearby, by then it was getting warm so didn't make it as far as Swanpool itself.

Yesterday 1700hrs
Interestingly, saw a pair of Curlew (?Whimbrel) circling very high up above Kimberley Park, calling (2 piping notes) for 10 mins.
Also Heron flying across towards Penryn River.

Yesterday (weds 23rd) -

Little Egret, c.20 Med Gulls and c.60 BH Gulls at Swanpool Point. Also 29 Med Gulls flying past around high tide at Gorrangorras on the Penryn River.

Today Thurs 24th July -

Swanpool Point -

15 Med Gull (5 juv), including colour-ringed bird Green 5T8
22 BH Gull
1 Sandwich Tern
1 Redshank
1 Oystercatcher
2 Curlew
3 Whimbrel

Offshore a small cetacean breaching twice, but not seen betweentimes - only thing that fits would seem to be a young Long-finned Pilot Whale. Coming out of the water and landing 'sideways', all dark and with a long flexible flipper.

Swanpool
- singing Reed Warbler at N end.

Last edited:
Earlier on today around high tide (8am) -

Gorrangorras -

33 Redshank
1 Common Sandpiper
5 Curlew
1 Whumbrel
7 Mute Swan
20+ BH Gull
1 Kingfisher
1 Linnet
1 Stoat running

Swanpool Point -

13 Med Gulls

The previous day (Sat 26th) - Spotted Flycatcher at Kestle Barton on the Lizard, and on the 24th (forgot to mention at the time), 5 ad Fulmar with 2 young visible on the cliffs at Swanpool.

Last edited:
Samuel reports 2 Common Sandpipers at Argal Res this morning. Have to admit not having been there for ages, but yesterday looked like the water levels are down a bit, although not much exposed mud - more short grass. But here's hoping ...

Clouded Yellow and Golden-ringed Dragonfly up near Treverva yesterday.

Last edited:
Out at 8am this morning -

Pendennis Point -

c.15 Med Gulls resting/feeding out in the bay and entrance to Carrick Roads
1 Arctic Tern "
2 Sandwich Tern (ad and imm) "
distant Manxies and Gannet streaming west distantly
1 Whimbrel past

Castle Beach -

13 Med Gulls
5 Oystercatcher
1 Grey Heron

Gorrangorras, Penryn River
- high tide

3 Common Sandpiper
2 Mute Swan

Then headed up to College Res, where Samuel had been moth trapping and earlier caught a Blomer's Rivulet moth in Mabe - a rdb/possible immigrant species. Recorded annually near Penzance in recent years, and one was also caught in Penryn earlier in July, a nice Cornish rarity though.

College Res -

Common Sandpiper (heard - SPerfect)
Treecreeper (h - SP)
2 ad GCGrebe + 2 young
2 Mute Swan
3 Grey Heron
30+ Herring Gull
2 young Moorhen

Argal Res -

5 ad GCGrebe +2 young
c.10 BH Gull
Grey Heron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back