• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digiscope question (1 Viewer)

I have a nikon d200, and would like to buy a scope to accommodate it, I have no idea what type to buy, or if it is possible, as I am totally new to this digiscoping game, in fact I didn't know anything about it until recently.
I am supposing that if I can use my d200 connected to a scope I would have to use a 50mm lens on the camera rather than a zoom of any kind?. I guess I need some kind soul to have some patience with me and point me in the right direction.

Dave

Hi Dave. I think it can be done. Which scope do you have in mind? You might look for an adapter that is capable of holding your camera in the right position behind the eyepiece.

Dave,
There are some good threads here about digiscoping with a DSLR.
Although it could work it would be difficult to achieve focus as the scope is approx. f11 lens. Digiscoping is easier with a small digicam and balances better on the scope.
Smaller sensors don't need as much light as the larger ones.
Neil.

Dave,

As Neil writes.

For photography using a DSLR you better look at refractor scopes (commonly referred to as "telescopes"), something around 600 mm focal length. There is a separate sub-forum where this is discussed in detail.

Hi Dave,

Any good refractor from Tele Vue, Sky Watcher, Vixen, Explore Scientific, Meade and Celestron will work with a DSLR.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back