• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help please (1 Viewer)

Pauly2times

Hi , I live in Cornwall, near boscastle and today this bird hit the glass balcony. I put him in a box and made him comfy and put him in a dark corner to recover. Anyway after 2-3 hours I took him outside and opened the box. It was amazing he flew straight away perfectly, no damage to wings etc.
He flew around the house twice in a circle and then flew off. I was so happy.

Can anyone please identify him / her

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 124
I believe it to be a Sparrowhawk and you did the best possible thing after a window strike. Glad to hear he flew off ;)

Hi there Pauly and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Thank you foggin, much appreciated. We see a lot of great wildlife here as we are on the uk coastline staring into the Atlantic. The other birds of prey here are common buzzards and kestrels I am told.
Fantastic bird who got a get out of jail free card today, really happy

As I'm coming from the other side of the pond, I'm gonna move your thread to the Bird I D section of the Forum where you'll get more info.

I've subscribed you to this thread so you'll get notifications when someone posts a reply.

Yes, most probably a juvenile male. This type of heart-or arrowshaped markings on the breast - with a tendency to streaking instead of barring - is much more common in juvenile males than in females.

Peter

Hi , I live in Cornwall, near boscastle and today this bird hit the glass balcony. I put him in a box and made him comfy and put him in a dark corner to recover. Anyway after 2-3 hours I took him outside and opened the box. It was amazing he flew straight away perfectly, no damage to wings etc.
He flew around the house twice in a circle and then flew off. I was so happy.

Can anyone please identify him / her

Thanks

Very well done for helping this youngster... Birds of Prey need all the help they can get. Your reward for helping is you'll never forget it ;)

BTW, I'm hoping you wasn't injured? those Talons and the Bill are incredibly sharp/

Might be a good idea to put some stickers on the balcony glass to stop any more birds flying into it! Well done on the rescue work.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back