• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Davidstow Airfield Access (1 Viewer)

Jack Dawe

It seems that light aircraft flyers who use this disused airfield are making a determined effort to discourage birders from driving on the runways. When I was there recently one of them was driving round, talking to car owners, warning them they had no right of access and asking them to park on the perimeter and walk around the grass. The chap was polite, but was evidently unhappy about paying £1,000 a year to use the place only to be prevented from flying by cars driving around. I can quite understand his point of view, but the site is so widely used (not just by birders) that it's going to be difficult to enforce. It's also a bit sad for us birders. We're never going to see the birds so well on foot.

This message has also been posted on the CBWPS website and by RBA. The former warns that failure to comply could lead to access being withdrawn altogether. All this got me wondering. Who actually owns this airfield? Google suggests that two flying clubs use it - The Davistow Flying Club and the Moorland Flying Club, but I can't find any further info. Who would enforce any withdrawal of access and could they do so successfully?

It's a good question, I too can find no info re ownership of the land. In the last 9 years when I have been visiting regularly I have seen 5 aircraft using this site. There are more ponies grazing the site than cars using it, and as for sheep, the animal hazard must be worse than the drivers. I don't believe they have the power or the personnel to enforce a total ban, let alone the resources to fence and gate it. Surely, on flying days, a schedule could be displayed, there must be an answer, flying is so irregular.

I think the issue the chap had with cars is that they are unpredictable and are apt to do U-turns that take up most of the runway width, which would be a big risk to a landing aircraft. Sheep would almost certainly scarper in time. The horses might be more of a risk, although I don't think I've ever seen them actually loitering on the runways. I have also seen the place mentioned online as a potential landing place for aircraft in an emergency. Anyway, how are the flyers going to get their message across to all the learner drivers and other locals who use the site? When I was there last there was a kid riding a trike all over the place, followed by her parents in a car.

I have not often seen aircraft in use there either and I totally agree that some sort of mutual arrangement ought to be perfectly feasible.

This from the current Cornwall Birdwatching and Preservation Society website:

"Please note that Davidstow Airfield is an active airfield and we have been reminded that there is NO freedom to roam here and that cars must NOT drive onto the airfield at all. We have been advised that we can WALK onto the grassy areas, but not the runways. Cars should be parked alongside the road. Failure to comply could lead to access being withdrawn altogether."

I ask again: Exactly who owns this site and who has the right to grant or deny access?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back