• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fox! (1 Viewer)

Liebchen

Hi all

Absolutely amazing! Today for the first time I have seen a fox in my garden in broad daylight! It was running from one side to the other stopping to look at us looking at it and then jumped our 5ft high fence with the ease of a cat. :bounce:

I was that excited my heart was racing. Wow I'm just amazed as we're not really living anywhere countrysideish or anything like that. Neither is there a large park near here just lots and lots of houses with gardens. I suppose it must be one of those urban foxes people talk about.

I'm still surprised how much birds and wildlife we are getting around here. I had 20 goldies, 10 greenfinches, sparrows, lots of collared doves, woodpigeon, bluetits, coaltits and blackbirds today. A couple of redwings and fieldfare over the past few days have also visited. Not to forget the robin, dunnock, mistle thrushes, the occasional great tit and very occasional chaffinch. The goldies and greenfinches where coming in big flocks together with the starlings all day.

A squirrel which comes for peanuts everyday has build a nest in the old magpie nest in the holly tree. We can see it from the upstairs window and it looks so cute when it is looking out of the entrance hole. There is also another one which usually gets chased off very sharpish. No room for a trespasser stealing peanuts. |:d|

Isn't it wonderful how much life there is on one's back garden. :t:

Happy birdies, Liebchen

Britner said:
Hi Liebchen,

Sorry if i disapoint you, but ive seen the same fox out in the day many times, and even more often at night, I even have two coming in my garden on ocasion, and I've been told that more than two have also been.

Back to your fox, I surgest you leave food out at night to encourage it to come on a regular basis, prehaps you may get the family visiting.

ant

ps, the atachment is of one of the foxes that i get in my garden.

Hi Ant

No you haven't disappointed me. |;| I thought foxes mostly come out at night rather than day so that's why I was surprised.

You are lucky to have them in your garden and that is a lovely picture.

Maybe my fox will come back one day. What food do you leave out?

Liebchen

Liebchen said:

Hi again,

In regards to food, I normally leave out the leftovers from my dinner, or, if theres no food out, it gets eggs, chicken, turkey, or some other meat, it also likes butterd toast and has ate vegtables in the past. best thing to do would be to leave out a veriaty of foods, and see what it likes best.

Ant

Liebchen said:
Hi Ant

You are lucky to have them in your garden and that is a lovely picture.

Liebchen

Hello Liebchen and Ant

You are both very lucky to have visiting Fox's. I would love to see that. Photo is great, he appears to be looking straight at me!

Bridie

Liebchen said:

Liebchen

You could try dog food or any meats (not reconstituted meat products). I have seen them tackle pizza and kebabs in the city centre in Leeds. Biscuits can be attractive.
Main thing is to keep the food as fresh as you can, replace every night at the same time, remove in morning. With luck you will find that the fox/es will learn to come for the food about the time you place it out giving you chance to see them. :t:

Keith Dickinson said:
With luck you will find that the fox/es will learn to come for the food about the time you place it out giving you chance to see them. :t:

Hi Keith,

My foxes come even if theres no food out, infact, one, which has not come for a while, used to stay for ages untill some food was put out, it even used to put its front paws on the outside sill of the french doors and look in.

ant

That is a seriously cheeky fox ;) We've not had them in the garden for a year or two. At our previous house there was very rarely a night when they were'nt about. They were a bit of pest with the dustbins at that house, here we have the large wheelie bins which the foxes have difficulty overturning.
Still see the occassional one on the streets when I set off for work, and can hear vixens calling in the night. At the local rugby club a vixen brought up a litter of 3 cubs last summer, we used to see them frolicking on the pitch in the evening, it was joy to watch. Hopefully she'll be back next summer.

Britner said:
Hi Keith,

My foxes come even if theres no food out, infact, one, which has not come for a while, used to stay for ages untill some food was put out, it even used to put its front paws on the outside sill of the french doors and look in.

ant

Hello all,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but leaving scraps out still encourages rats, and then the rats end up being punished.

I am sorry if I am seem like I am speaking out of turn but rats would love the types of things left out for foxes and hedgehogs and then when rats appear, especially at this time of year when they are coming in from the fields (if you are rural) they are looking for extra food.

Why is it okay to put out food for foxes, etc, then the minute a rat appears it is condemned?

It is encouraging rats into your garden. Rats are there anyway but by feeding scraps to other wildlife you have to accept you will encourage others.

Best wishes.

Lapwing.

Hi everyone

Thanks for your advice.

I also share your views Lapwing about rats. That's one of the reasons why I haven't put food out at night for the hedgehog or otherwise because I'm worried about attracting rats ( also my dog will eat it on her nightly visits to the toilet. Poor thing is getting on a bit and the old blatter isn't the same anymore). I clean under the feeders regularly and will not let much seed build up either because I don't want rats. If any of my neighbours would see a rat they would freak and I can forget about feeding the birds so I'm very careful. No rats and I don't have to go about getting rid of them in some horrible way. Just a shame the foxes and hedgehogs must miss out. |:(|

Liebchen

Liebchen said:
Hi everyone

Thanks for your advice.

I also share your views Lapwing about rats. That's one of the reasons why I haven't put food out at night for the hedgehog or otherwise because I'm worried about attracting rats ( also my dog will eat it on her nightly visits to the toilet. Poor thing is getting on a bit and the old blatter isn't the same anymore). I clean under the feeders regularly and will not let much seed build up either because I don't want rats. If any of my neighbours would see a rat they would freak and I can forget about feeding the birds so I'm very careful. No rats and I don't have to go about getting rid of them in some horrible way. Just a shame the foxes and hedgehogs must miss out. |:(|

Liebchen

Hi Liebchen,

I have been feeding the foxes in my area for years, and have as far as im aware, never had a rat around. If you leave food out, and you start getting rats, simply stop leaving food out and wait for the fox to come.

ant

Hi Marion and everyone,
What a wonderful sight that must have been for you no wonder you're thrilled!
I once saw a fox in broad daylight in the middle of July (I was just coming in after sports day at the local school) and it was just trotting down the road seemingly without a care in the world! Cars were even having to slow down to avoid it!!!!
In those days we didn't have the wheelie bins which I think have lead to a lot of foxes not being able to raid them as they did the old dustbins!
Like any true wild thing a pleasure to see though.....makes your day doesn't it?
I hope you see him again.
Best wishes,

Yay, foxes !!!! They're quite common in some urban areas, though unfortunately not in mine. :-C It's often much easier to see them in cities than it is in the countryside, though for me it is usually the other way round. How I wish I had them coming into my garden !!
P.S. Ant your fox looks very well fed !! :eat:

Ivor_Frog said:
P.S. Ant your fox looks very well fed !! :eat:

Thanks Ivor,
Quite a few people who have been round to my house who have never seen a fox before, let alone as close as they come in my garden, are often amazed when one turns up.

ant

Britner said:
Thanks Ivor,
Quite a few people who have been round to my house who have never seen a fox before, let alone as close as they come in my garden, are often amazed when one turns up.

ant

I bet they are ! Although sometimes you show non-wildlife-watchers something like that and they're completely uninterested |8|| You're extremely lucky to have them visiting. Like I said I wish I had foxes in my garden ! Although I am lucky to get badgers visiting my holiday house, they are like your fox that comes and waits for food except they are a little more shy and hang about in the bushes ! I don't put out much food though, just a little so I can watch them for a short while before they go off on their nightly foraging.

Ivor_Frog said:
Although sometimes you show non-wildlife-watchers something like that and they're completely uninterested |8||

Thats true, although they sometimes exaggerate and say, "I had 15 somethings or others in my garden the other day." or along those lines, just to try to make you jelous.

Britner said:
Thats true, although they sometimes exaggerate and say, "I had 15 somethings or others in my garden the other day." or along those lines, just to try to make you jelous.
But isn't it nice to squeeze slightly by asking for a description, they usually start blustering then.
I will admit at the moment I have about 100+ different 'something or others' in my garden, they are flowers 'cos I haven't a clue when it comes to plants. That is my wifes forte, I'm good for digging holes to put plants in and mowing the lawn.
We do get the occassional hedgehog visiting, sadly don't seem to get the foxes anymore and very occassionally bats visit.

Just napping,

rfox0jy.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back