• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a great idea, should bring together more members of the cornwall birding community. Looking forward to the website.

Cheers, looking forward to your support. Hope we dont get too much flack from the CWBPS website! Thats getting like the 'North Cornwall birdwatchers society'!!
Henerz, i notice your location states Manchester? Thought you lived in Falmouth? Have we met?

I'm at uni in Falmouth and reside less often these days in Manchester, hols and stuff. Not sure if we've met, I was at the gyr twitch one night and a few other places - autumn seawatching from porthgwarra, siberian stonechat+r.b.shrike last autumn too.

Seems funny now after all the sightings! Did you get to see any?

HI. Yes, I saw the two near Cadgwith but dipped on the others at Hayle Kimbro. Do you know what the access is at these pools?. I parked in the layby opposite when I saw the vehicle of a well known Cornish Birder parked there. I climbed over the style opposite on the grounds that a landowner would not put a style on a main road if there was no public footpath across his land. The other Birder saw me and waved me over to the pool although the GIs were not there. Later that afternoon there was a message on the RBA Pager advising Birders that this was private land and to keep to footpath (not marked as far as I could see). The only other Birders that came whilst I was there were three local ones who seemed familiar with the site. Roger

hi to you all,im coming to cornwall for a week on 23rd june staying at a place called trencreek farm,st austell.Was wondering what good places there are to go birding in the area.any locations would be very helpful.thank you

St Austell sewage works is a good spot for warblers, probably nothing too rare at this time of year but you never know! Par Pool is a nice walk and some good stuff turns up there. I dont know the area particularly well so thats all I can say. Thanks
Henerz

I'm at uni in Falmouth and reside less often these days in Manchester, hols and stuff. Not sure if we've met, I was at the gyr twitch one night and a few other places - autumn seawatching from porthgwarra, siberian stonechat+r.b.shrike last autumn too.

LOL... see you changed your location names!! I was at the Gyr but early morning. Been abroad for two weeks so missed most of the spring stuff. Not that there was a lot anyway! Looking forward to Waders and Seawatching now! Hope to bump into you one day.

HI. Yes, I saw the two near Cadgwith but dipped on the others at Hayle Kimbro. Do you know what the access is at these pools?. I parked in the layby opposite when I saw the vehicle of a well known Cornish Birder parked there. I climbed over the style opposite on the grounds that a landowner would not put a style on a main road if there was no public footpath across his land. The other Birder saw me and waved me over to the pool although the GIs were not there. Later that afternoon there was a message on the RBA Pager advising Birders that this was private land and to keep to footpath (not marked as far as I could see). The only other Birders that came whilst I was there were three local ones who seemed familiar with the site. Roger

Sorry, Hayle Kimbro is somewhere i havent been! I saw all seven 'glassy eye pieces' at Cadgwith. I'm sure someone on here will know. I'll try and find out soon.

hi to you all,im coming to cornwall for a week on 23rd june staying at a place called trencreek farm,st austell.Was wondering what good places there are to go birding in the area.any locations would be very helpful.thank you

I'd try heading further west for a seawatch! The quote in 'Where to watch birds in Devon and Cornwall' for the St Austell Bay area is: June-july: Tourist season, busy, no special interest. !!!! You might get something at Par Beach pool. Davidstow Airfield is always a possibility for a good wader turning up although June is a bit early. The wods and moors around there are good for species found in that habitat (Dipper, Marsh tit, willow tit, siskin, redpoll etc. And Lesser pecker if your very lucky!) Are you on a birding trip or with family?

Had half an hour on Hayle Estuary tonight. Loads of dunlin and ringed plovers. One Blk T Godwit, 2 whimbrel and a few Little Egrets were only other birds of note.

Wader passage has been very slow this spring in cornwall for some reason??? Couple of Greenshank and 2 Whimbrel near Falmouth have been the highlights around here.

Wader passage has been very slow this spring in cornwall for some reason??? Couple of Greenshank and 2 Whimbrel near Falmouth have been the highlights around here.

Yeah, not much to yell about. Its never that great anyway, its the return journey when we get the goodies down here.

Still something of interest at spit beach (Par) 28,common scoter,1,great N diver in breeding plumage,8,sandwich terns,3,whimbrel.All yesterday afternoon (02-06-07) Thats if you can see through this mist!!Also yesterday 4,willow tits at Treskillian downs,always a good site for this species.
fiddler.

Still something of interest at spit beach (Par) 28,common scoter,1,great N diver in breeding plumage,8,sandwich terns,3,whimbrel.All yesterday afternoon (02-06-07) Thats if you can see through this mist!!Also yesterday 4,willow tits at Treskillian downs,always a good site for this species.
fiddler.

Fiddler, welcome to the thread. Where is Treskillian Downs? I still need willow for my Cornwall list! Paul

I was down for a nice relaxing holiday last week with the family. Unfortunately only managed one good days birding which was down at the Lizard on 31st. It turned out to be an excellent morning. My main aim was to see the Choughs and was rewarded with excellent views of the 4 juveniles as well as the adults later on. I then turned to the sea where the first bird I saw was a Storm Petrel. In the next hour and a half I logged the following passing from the chough watchpoint: Manx Shearwater (120+), Storm Petrel (8), Razorbill (5), Guillemot (1), Kittiwake (6). There were also plenty of Gannets and Fulmar about as well as 2 Whimbrel at the base of the cliff.

Other highlights of the week were Dipper at Respryn, Peregrine and Rock Pipit out on Newlands and Raven at Rough Tor.

In all a very enjoyable week with lots of birds about. Got to see much of the warblers/summer migrants that I often miss when I go in August.

Glad to hear you caught up with some of the Cornish Specialities there PaulK. Not bad luck bumping into a Stormy at the start of your seawatch. Not every seawatch begins in such a good way!
Cheers
Henerz

Hi Paul,
Thanks. Treskillen downs, or moors is 1, mile from the eden project between St Blazy and Penwithick.Look for hallaze road.I have seen them on and off at this site for the last 14,years,but, don,t see or hear them more than a 4, or 5, times a year.This last sighting was a family group.
fiddler.

Hi Paul,
Thanks. Treskillen downs, or moors is 1, mile from the eden project between St Blazy and Penwithick.Look for hallaze road.I have seen them on and off at this site for the last 14,years,but, don,t see or hear them more than a 4, or 5, times a year.This last sighting was a family group.
fiddler.

Cheers, I dont get that far north very often! Must make the effort.

Today,11 puffins on The Moules,Pentire point ,60+ manx shearwater flew past,up to 8, basking shark out at sea,12+ wheatear in the area.Corn buntings at pentire farm.
fiddler.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back