• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

went out today to give my bin's a good testing started of down hayle seen little grebe little egret,lots lapwings wigeon plus usual birds,in the pool there was 2 great northern divers.went up to stithians on way home,didn't find or spot anything unusual there,plenty lapwings wigeon,mallard, teal,golden plovers,possible grey plover there with them.just nice to get out after working loads.

went out today to give my bin's a good testing started of down hayle seen little grebe little egret,lots lapwings wigeon plus usual birds,in the pool there was 2 great northern divers.went up to stithians on way home,didn't find or spot anything unusual there,plenty lapwings wigeon,mallard, teal,golden plovers,possible grey plover there with them.just nice to get out after working loads.

What bins did you get ?

What bins did you get ?

hi chris after quite bit of browsing and trying bin's out in local shops I went for the optricon Verona bga hd,when I looked through them I was instantly impressed, they were alot better then the hawkes pc ed etc,and others I tried to me anyway, know they were bit more then my budget but they seem lot better made,they had money off too,save up again now for a scope,if you want to try them mate just give me a shout

2 Hen Harrier, (adult male and a small, (immature male?), ringtail), roosted very late this evening at Rosenannon Downs. Also noted a Merlin and 57 Fieldfare.
Also great views of Jupiter and four moons.

6 Common Crossbill at Crowdy Reservoir this afternoon (photo) and 24+ Coal Tit.
Colliford Reservoir 1 Roe Deer (photo) and 2 Yellow-Legged Gull (1st and 3rd winter) plus 2 Dunlin and 40+ Fieldfare.
3 Common Goldeneye and 4 Common Pochard Dozmary Pool.

Attachments

• IMG_4979.JPG
    IMG_4979.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4994.JPG
    IMG_4994.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 40
Regular Starling roost at Gwavas estate, Newlyn.
Not massive but looks very nice viewed from Newlyn pier against the setting sun - starts to build up at about 4pm and settles down at 4:20pm.
Today something delayed them till 4:25 but those that stayed settled quickly - some flew over the pier like little jet fighters and went on to Penlee park.

1w drake Surf Scoter off Jubilee Pool this morning at around 0800hrs. Little else offshore and no sign of Purple Sandpipers.

Off Porthpean this afternoon, 7 Black-throated Diver, 1 Great Northern Diver, 4 Wigeon and a single Kittiwake.

No sign of the Little Gull at Par Beach Pool just after lunch, (but can be very elusive). Species included 153 Canada Goose, 17 Mute Swan, 34 Coot, 24 Moorhen, 5 Tufted Duck and a Common Gull.

At St Andrews Pool, Par 4 Siskin and a Chiffchaff were of note.

The female type Bufflehead showing well at Helston Loe Pool yesterday. Initially flapped as I couldn't find the bird but located it finally at the south west end associating with female Goldeneye.

Rich

The female type Bufflehead showing well at Helston Loe Pool yesterday. Initially flapped as I couldn't find the bird but located it finally at the south west end associating with female Goldeneye.

Rich

I find the details given on the pager for this bird rather odd. Today it was reported from the hide yet instructions are from the Debigna Lane car park. Surely the sewage farm car park is a lot nearer. Also it says walk north from the Debigna lane car park, I would have thought that was the wrong direction. You surely have to either walk south or west from there to get to Loe Pool. I could be wrong of course. Roger

I find the details given on the pager for this bird rather odd. Today it was reported from the hide yet instructions are from the Debigna Lane car park. Surely the sewage farm car park is a lot nearer. Also it says walk north from the Debigna lane car park, I would have thought that was the wrong direction. You surely have to either walk south or west from there to get to Loe Pool. I could be wrong of course. Roger

Hi Roger.
There have been a lot of confused directions for this bird, which haven't been helped by the bird moving around a lot of late. When it first turned up the bird was frequenting the stretch between the hide and the boathouse on the western shore (SW 647256). Although you could get closer views from the west bank you have limited visibility and it was far better to view from the east side below the Degibna Chapel car park. It is also a much shorter walk from Degibna albeit up a very steep hill on the return leg and yes you do, counter intuitively, walk NNW from here.
A few weeks ago I found the bird at the southern end of the pool where it joins Carminowe Creek, I put out the correct grid ref on our web site(SW 647242), which RBA copied but they didn't alter their directions to walk SSW from the Degibna car park. Since Christmas the bird has been seen at both ends so it seems it's pot luck now which way you choose to walk. However, fortunately you can do a circular walk from Degibna to cover both areas, something incidentally you cannot do from the western side.
Hope this helps?
Dave

Hi Roger.
There have been a lot of confused directions for this bird, which haven't been helped by the bird moving around a lot of late. When it first turned up the bird was frequenting the stretch between the hide and the boathouse on the western shore (SW 647256). Although you could get closer views from the west bank you have limited visibility and it was far better to view from the east side below the Degibna Chapel car park. It is also a much shorter walk from Degibna albeit up a very steep hill on the return leg and yes you do, counter intuitively, walk NNW from here.
A few weeks ago I found the bird at the southern end of the pool where it joins Carminowe Creek, I put out the correct grid ref on our web site(SW 647242), which RBA copied but they didn't alter their directions to walk SSW from the Degibna car park. Since Christmas the bird has been seen at both ends so it seems it's pot luck now which way you choose to walk. However, fortunately you can do a circular walk from Degibna to cover both areas, something incidentally you cannot do from the western side.
Hope this helps?
Dave

Hi Dave Thanks for that. I am down in West Cornwall for a week starting next Sunday so will probably have a look for the Bufflehead. I will park in the Debigna car park and check the direction with my compass!!!!. Regards Roger

Birds at Par Beach Pool this morning included the ring necked duck - video here - tufted duck, 1 shoveler, 3 teal, 1 shelduck, 1 little gull, 19 snipe, oystercatcher, 1 male sparrowhawk, 1 kestrel, 1 grey heron.

Fishermen have been netting Carbis Bay with disastrous results....

Bird deaths prevent netting of fish in St Ives Bay

Only to move out of the bay but with the same result.

There have been vast numbers of birds in the bay - three dolphins also found the shoal on Christmas day - even the Herring gulls have been plunge diving on the fish.

I haven't posted anything on any of the local birding sites as I cannot verify the accuracy of the report, but I was notified by a non - birder of a Common Crane over Hayle at around 1240 hrs today heading South.

Unlikely I think but if anyone has heard anything similar I'd like to know.

I haven't posted anything on any of the local birding sites as I cannot verify the accuracy of the report, but I was notified by a non - birder of a Common Crane over Hayle at around 1240 hrs today heading South.

Unlikely I think but if anyone has heard anything similar I'd like to know.

I can confirm the Crane was first seen over Jubilee Pool, Penzance heading east by Brian Mellow and Royston Wilkins. It was then seen over Hayle by Dave Flumm and the RSPB litter picking team, heading north east before turning back and heading towards Helston.
More details on the Daily Sightings page below.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back