• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

Early morning update from John (to save his fingers and us from mistypes ;)):

Scrubwatch at the confluence - Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcaps, Goldcrests

Flashes - Teal increased to 63, Shoveler 19, Gadwall 4, Avocet 7, Ruff 3, Dunlin 2, Common Sandpiper 1, Green Sandpiper 3, Raven 2, Swift 8 > south

Scrubwatch from the main hide - 3 Lesser Whitethroats, 2 Redstart, Common Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, more Blackcap and Goldcrest
scrub watch from bridge by steps ' scrub triangle' we will have to sort some names out soon 8-P

Meanwhile at the Moors Pool Mike W reports all is quiet save 4+ Goldcrests (including at least 1 juvenile) and Treecreeper around the North Moors.

Adult & juvenile Common Tern, 18+ Little Grebe. Butterflies include Large & Small White, Speckled Wood, Common Blue and Gatekeeper.

Last edited:
Meanwhile at the Moors Pool Mike W reports all is quiet save 4+ Goldcrests (including at least 1 juvenile) and Treecreeper around the North Moors.

Adult & juvenile Common Tern, 18+ Little Grebe. Butterflies include Large & Small White, Speckled Wood, Common Blue and Gatekeeper.

Also Small Copper to Heath Area.

Thos Gulls Flashes Thursday P.M. For Craig

Thanks Craig.
If juvs are with their parents I can usually say that they are such and such a gull. Unless they are rare. Hasn't happened to me yet! The only adult about was a LBBG which seemed to have nothing to do with either of these birds.

These pics are part of a sequence - in order and the right hand bird chased the other smaller bird in and onto the island. Then they settled down, ignored each other and eventually flew off separately. Only watching through bins then.

What struck me was that the left hand bird was markedly smaller than the other even allowing for different sizes in the same species male female etc. Juvs always seem bigger than adults to me.

Anyway over to you - any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Phil E

Attachments

• P4370241a.jpg
    P4370241a.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 82
  • P4370242a.jpg
    P4370242a.jpg
    935.6 KB · Views: 75
  • P4370250a.jpg
    P4370250a.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 82
  • P4370252a.jpg
    P4370252a.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P4370256a.jpg
    P4370256a.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 84
Thanks Craig.
If juvs are with their parents I can usually say that they are such and such a gull. Unless they are rare. Hasn't happened to me yet! The only adult about was a LBBG which seemed to have nothing to do with either of these birds.

These pics are part of a sequence - in order and the right hand bird chased the other smaller bird in and onto the island. Then they settled down, ignored each other and eventually flew off separately. Only watching through bins then.

What struck me was that the left hand bird was markedly smaller than the other even allowing for different sizes in the same species male female etc. Juvs always seem bigger than adults to me.

Anyway over to you - any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Phil E
I would say they were both Herring. The tertials are variable anyway, but very notched in this case on the larger bird. The smaller birds tertials are slightly notched. But to eliminate from LBBG its outer greater coverts are too pale. Generally the bird looks paler on the uppers. B :)john

Dave J and Gert working the reserve hard the morning - Greenshank, 4 juveniles Yellow Wagtails (first return passage birds), juvenile Common Gull and Hobby at the Flashes; Hobby also at the Moors Pool. Dave W has had a Tree Pipit over Coney so stuff moving today.

Last edited:
ROSEATE TERN flashes

an adult and Juv on Flashes briefly before being flushed by heron. Awaiting more news. .check out Moors and sailing pool if you are around . Found by Dave Jackson B :)

As if the Roseate Terns weren't enough Dave J also reports at the Flashes this morning:

2 Greenshank, 4 Ruff, 2 Dunlin, 4 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, juv Yellow-legged Gull, 7 Avocet, Hobby, 4 juv Yellow Wagtail

Great to see the Roseate Tern, worth me and the Missus getting drenched after.3:)

Thanks to the person or persons who found my sunglasses and popped them on the gate on the east side of the moors. ;)

back to mundane times.
MOORS:
Little grebe 32. Shoveler 5. gadwall 3. Mallard c350. tufted c70 incl young. Common tern our ad and juv and a more advanced juvenile from elsewhere.

FLASHES:
Teal 68. Shoveler 15. gadwall 4. mallard 250. Greylag 26 over. Avocet 7. ruff 5. dunlin. Curlew 17. lapwing 100+, green sand 6. Common sand. BHG 850. kestrel, buzzard swift . Yellow Wag. redstart male. Whitethroat.
Sailing Pool. swallow 100 per Matt fuzeare

Today's juvenile Roseate Tern sported a metal ring on each leg. It is highly likely that the bird originated from Coquet Island off the Northumberland coast (Britain's only regular breeding site) which uses this combination. A hundred pairs bred this year on Coquet, compared with only 24 pairs in 1999. Dave though that the adult may potentially also have been ringed.

There were no other reports of Roseate Tern inland today but several passing down both the east and west coasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back