• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater scaup? (1 Viewer)

Rick H

Was at an inland flooded area in Glos, UK, this afternoon and watched this duck for an hour between 2.30 and 3.30. Seemed to be bigger than a tufted duck, had no tuft at all, was on its own and diving. The white band at the base of the bill was quite broad and it also had a pale cheek patch. As you can see from the photo its head and chest is brown with a grey body, lighter on the flanks. Its beak certainly looked longer than a tufted.

Am I right in thinking it is a female Greater Scaup?

Sorry about the quality of the photos but I was hand holding a little camera onto the eyepiece of my scope!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 112
Looks a bit weird to me. Apart from the white facial blaze it actually looks a lot like a female Pochard. The shape, dark eye and very plain grey body seem wrong for a pure Scaup - maybe a hybrid?

like andrew says, bill looks pochardish and with that pale upperparts it has to be a hybrid with aythya ferina, imo. tuftie x pochard?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back