• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (5 Viewers)

Ok - (This thread gonna go all the way to... hmm - wrong way) But I stick still in that third photo (with 2 Tits |>|): Feeding place where I take that photo has visited Marsh Tit about 3 weeks now. Also there has been 3 Willow Tits (and many others). I thoght I manage to take pic where I had both black-capped Tits, but now it looks like I failed. :-C No worries. I just have to go there and try again with better luck.

Here is another birder photos for that Marsh Tit. http://tuulanhavis.blogspot.fi/2016/10/viitatiainen.html
I thoght that I had a same bird, but the light might done his tricks...

Ok - (This thread gonna go all the way to... hmm - wrong way) But I stick still in that third photo (with 2 Tits |>|): Feeding place where I take that photo has visited Marsh Tit about 3 weeks now. Also there has been 3 Willow Tits (and many others). I thoght I manage to take pic where I had both black-capped Tits, but now it looks like I failed. :-C No worries. I just have to go there and try again with better luck.

Here is another birder photos for that Marsh Tit. http://tuulanhavis.blogspot.fi/2016/10/viitatiainen.html
I thoght that I had a same bird, but the light might done his tricks...

Had I seen the first 3 (new) images in the UK Wari, I would have said Marsh Tit. Presumably these were imaged locally, and as such, would be very uncommon?

Cheers Ken

73) Little Owl heard late this afternoon. This is a good one, not every year here.

Never had one here...considering the habitat I should have had one by now!

They have occurred within 1000m though....I'll keep the prayer mat out. ;)

Never had one here...considering the habitat I should have had one by now!

They have occurred within 1000m though....I'll keep the prayer mat out. ;)

On the basis that fact is stranger than fiction!....Just dozing off at c11.40pm when I received "a nudge" from the misses, "can you hear the Owl?" she said, I thought odd...as we hear Tawny most nights! Before I could reply, we heard this repeated "wee-ew"-"wee-ew"-"wee-ew"....."there" she said! That's not a Tawny I exclaimed! (just as a female started "ker-wicking" into the mix). I leapt out of bed and xeno-canto'd Little Owl, the first recording sounded similar, thus I played another....and we both agreed "Bang-On" (who am I to argue ;)) at last....no.80 and a grdn.lifer! This represents the 4th lifer this year, and puts me on 132 for the all time list.

Last edited:
40. Flock of c.50 Pink-footed Geese S over.

Shows the importance of location - a very common sight down at the coast, but that little bit inland where I am, well less than annual.

Hhmmff.
I've been incarcerated for a week with flu with nowt new to show for hours of looking!
Ahead once again, Ken!

Sorry to hear that H!...hopefully you'll soon be able to ''get back'' and give me a run for my money, as you have done for most of the year! As you appreciate, I do know what it's like to spend hours and hours....for nowt!

Keep your ''pecker up''......a Lesser spot would be nice. :t:

Hhmmff.
I've been incarcerated for a week with flu with nowt new to show for hours of looking!
Ahead once again, Ken!

I've had a touch of man flu the past few days, the extra garden watching has not been completely birdless though. I was watching some yellowhammers at the end of the garden, a dozen in a leafless ash tree when some more similar sized birds flew in. It was so gloomy I couldn't be sure but they looked like Linnets. I had to get the scope to confirm it, just in time as a male sparrowhawk put them to flight, there must have been around 40. Then, on Sunday my good lady called from the kitchen to say there were some thushes eating berries. When I checked I found a pair of Mistle Thrush. That takes me to 60 for the year, more than I expected at the begining and still one or two more possible.

Hope you're feeling better now, I am, I given it to the other half.

. Then, on Sunday my good lady called from the kitchen to say there were some thrushes eating berries.

Hope you're feeling better now, I am, I given it to the other half.

Does Mum know you refer to her as 'my good lady' on the internet?! She'll expect you to be nicer in person if you're not careful!

Nothing new here, but I have moved the feeders to improve viewing. Watched a Northern Shrike chasing a nuthatch about yesterday. Not seen one in the garden since my first back in January, so nice for me, if not the nuthatch!

Does Mum know you refer to her as 'my good lady' on the internet?! She'll expect you to be nicer in person if you're not careful!

Nothing new here, but I have moved the feeders to improve viewing. Watched a Northern Shrike chasing a nuthatch about yesterday. Not seen one in the garden since my first back in January, so nice for me, if not the nuthatch!

You won't tell her will you?:eek!:

Little Owl! Nice tick Joannec and KenM :t:

I haven't seen at least single owl my garden ever. On top of that, I haven't seen any bird on my garden during the last two weeks. But also I haven't been home at daylight hours (working days and whole last weekend went to the meeting of Birdlife Finland). All the snow has melted and endless darkness is always present... :-C

Little Owl! Nice tick Joannec and KenM :t:

I haven't seen at least single owl my garden ever. On top of that, I haven't seen any bird on my garden during the last two weeks. But also I haven't been home at daylight hours (working days and whole last weekend went to the meeting of Birdlife Finland). All the snow has melted and endless darkness is always present... :-C

Less than a month before the shortest day Wari....then it's downhill all the way to Spring! I'm sure Joanne and I would gladly trade Little Owl for Hawk Owl, any day of the week.....and they've got to be closer to you...than they are to us. :t:

Less than a month before the shortest day Wari....then it's downhill all the way to Spring! I'm sure Joanne and I would gladly trade Little Owl for Hawk Owl, any day of the week.....and they've got to be closer to you...than they are to us. :t:

You must be some kind of mind reader Ken. My only recent bright moment was at last Sunday, when I stopped on the way home in Kaivopuisto in Helsinki: Year tick from Hawk Owl!

Having missed out on three Dalmatian Pelican when half a mile away from home (I was sorely tempted to turn the car around and race home!), and a skein of Geese flying South while I was just down the road without bins, I am happy to report a solitary Siskin bathing with the Sparrows this morning for no. 46.

Chris

You must be some kind of mind reader Ken. My only recent bright moment was at last Sunday, when I stopped on the way home in Kaivopuisto in Helsinki: Year tick from Hawk Owl!

Just a coincidence Wari..It's foremost on my Xmas prezzy wish list every year. ;)

Having missed out on three Dalmatian Pelican when half a mile away from home (I was sorely tempted to turn the car around and race home!), and a skein of Geese flying South while I was just down the road without bins, I am happy to report a solitary Siskin bathing with the Sparrows this morning for no. 46.

Chris

That's one more Siskin than I've had this Winter Chris! They normally turn up mid October, definitely long overdue. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back