• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few birds from Costa Rica III (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

Could you please help me with a few birds from Costa Rica?

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• CR_IMG_1639.jpg
    CR_IMG_1639.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 42
  • CR_IMG_2910.jpg
    CR_IMG_2910.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 22
  • CR_IMG_4199.jpg
    CR_IMG_4199.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 27
  • CR_IMG_8212.jpg
    CR_IMG_8212.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 32
  • CR_IMG_7260.jpg
    CR_IMG_7260.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 24
1 Must be a female Black-crowned Antshrike?
2 Female Passerini's Tanager
3 Stripe-headed Sparrow
4 Spangle-cheeked Tanager
5 Tropical Parula

A

Last edited:
Bird # 1

I have a few pictures but all of them are very similar.

Hope it helps!

Attachments

• CR_IMG_1627.jpg
    CR_IMG_1627.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 26
  • CR_IMG_1654.jpg
    CR_IMG_1654.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 18
I wish Patrick or Eduardo would chime in on this one. Contra the Antshrike are (to my mind) the pale supra-loral and the pattern on the wing.

Niels

I wish Patrick or Eduardo would chime in on this one. Contra the Antshrike are (to my mind) the pale supra-loral and the pattern on the wing.

Niels

What are the options?

I agree that the wing bars are uniform, not spotted as I might expect but the white edges to the secondaries make options very limited.

Blue-headed Vireo, bill is too big and that doesn't have the warm crown and the Vireos all have obvious eye rings?

Female White-winged Becard is closest but no wing bars?

A

Last edited:
I think it might be something that isn't illustrated quite right in the field guide. For example, the supraloral pattern is seen in several tyrannid flycatchers.

It might also be that the answer is you are right - and that the female antshrike is variable in these features.

Niels

I think it might be something that isn't illustrated quite right in the field guide. For example, the supraloral pattern is seen in several tyrannid flycatchers.

It might also be that the answer is you are right - and that the female antshrike is variable in these features.

Niels

Bill is pretty big, right for an Antshrike

A

I have been checking and it was in a small patch of manglar.

The coordinates that I posted were not completely accurate because my GPS lost reception when I got under the trees.

The real position is around 300 meters south.

Accurate position (from Google Earth)

Latitude: 10° 8' 55.84" N
Longitude: 85° 3' 2.10" W
Altitude: 10 meters
Finca La Ensenada, Abangaritos, Puntarenas Province

I have been checking and it was in a small patch of manglar.

The coordinates that I posted were not completely accurate because my GPS lost reception when I got under the trees.

The real position is around 300 meters south.

Accurate position (from Google Earth)

Latitude: 10° 8' 55.84" N
Longitude: 85° 3' 2.10" W
Altitude: 10 meters
Finca La Ensenada, Abangaritos, Puntarenas Province

That pretty much sorts it out, Mangrove Vireo it is but that bill!!!

If the bill had been tiny like shown in Garrigues, I wouldn't have insisted that it was an Antshrike.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back