Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Targets for 2018

Old Monday 14th May 2018, 09:57   #76
edenwatcher

A somewhat more productive afternoon on Saturday.
Daniel and I went down to Fife Ness and after some time connected with an elusive marsh warbler. It gave a burst of song as we arrived, before shutting up for an hour. Another short snatch of song and i got to see it as it clambered about in a conifer (Daniel's view being obscured). It then sang more determinedly and we both got to see it as it moved having stopped. Not great views but the song is the thing...
Other warblers present included willow warbler, chiffchaff and whitethroat. Nearby we were both successful with yellow wagtail.

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 19th May 2018, 13:33   #77
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

May 19th: part I

Another morning playing catch up on the year list with a trip to World’s End, where the Black Grouse were on fine form at the roadside lek (pic 1), and in glorious sunshine for a change (pics 2-4, usually when I’ve seen them it’s been so early in the morning or late in the afternoon that the sun has been absent). We watched and listened for ten minutes or so before continuing over the moor, clocking another lek (pic 5) cross the valley as we drove, and then pausing just before the road drops down into the woods to admire a pair of Whinchat by the road. While pulled over for that we could hear a Cuckoo across the valley, but no amount of scanning could locate it. Fortunately, at just the right moment a Buzzard cruised up the valley side, spooking the Cuckoo into the air and across the valley towards us. Excellent flight views ensued.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	663089  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9917.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	663090  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9926.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	663091  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9933.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	663092  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	663094  

Old Saturday 19th May 2018, 15:36   #78
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

May 19th: part II

For the day’s fourth year tick we actually had to get out of the car, but not actually walk anywhere, as a Redstart sang away from a tree top a little further along the road. We were parked up at a spot where we’ve had Ring Ouzel the past couple of years, but in spite of searching the area all we could come up with was a couple more Redstarts and a handful of Wheatear, the latter demonstrating how well they can blend into a landscape of jumbled, lichen speckled limestone.

Heading off towards Nercwys next took us over Horseshoe Pass where I’ve had Ring Ouzel before, but I couldn’t locate the right looking quarry, and as my sighting was over twenty years ago I didn’t let it eat up too much of the morning. Heard only Red Grouse and fly by Chough here.

On then to Nercwys Mountain, where I was hoping for Tree Pipit but came up short and found nothing else of note. Definitely a site more suited to after dark visits; Nightjars should be back soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	663110  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	663111  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	663112  
Old Monday 21st May 2018, 09:27   #79
edenwatcher

Superb blackcock.
We had a family outing yesterday morning to Letham Pools. Lovely views of a drake garganey for all and sedge warbler was also a year tick for the boys.

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: