• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swan Killed and Barbecued (1 Viewer)

Our wildlife ethic has changed, and for the better, at least in most of the so-called civilized world. The nursery rhyme "Four and twenty blackbirds, baked in a pie" came from a time when not only were all kinds of birds widely and indiscriminately shot, trapped and eaten, but the most important question about any kind of animal was, "Can it be et?" Not all the world has the same view about animals.

Clearly illegal. But despite the laws, surely no worse in reality than poachers taking a salmon, or deer – which wouldn't feature on BBC News! Unless anyone's still serious about Mute Swans being 'owned' by the Crown...

Last edited:
Our wildlife is under threat since the Eastern European invasion. They are catching and killing huge amounts of carp and birds. Do they not realise we have rules and laws in this country, mind you, the way the flout the drink drive laws, I don't think so!!!!

When working as a navigation inspector on the River Thames, some 23 years ago I reported to the then Swan Master, of similar incidents near the Runnymede and Old Windsor area involving mute swans and their cygnets - also the taking of many freshwater fish for human consumption. Sadly there wasn't enough manpower then to enforce and investigate such occurrences so heaven knows how things are now. I know that many fisherman in the vicinity have given up due to the lack of numbers of mature fish.

Our wildlife is under threat since the Eastern European invasion. They are catching and killing huge amounts of carp and birds. Do they not realise we have rules and laws in this country, mind you, the way the flout the drink drive laws, I don't think so!!!!

Yes, I read that in the Daily Mail too.

Obviously the likes of the Daily Mail love to exaggerate about Eastern Europeans eating all our swans and carp, but there may be SOME truth in it. Different cultures have different ethics regarding these issues and as a region rich in wildlife people probably do think nothing of poaching the odd waterbird or carp for their dinner in Eastern Europe and maybe some think they can do the same here. While I'm sure its not in the quantities claimed by the right wing press, I'd be surprised if it didn't happen occasionally.

While those who bang on about immigrants should rightly be criticised, I think occasionally beneath the prejudice there is a valid point.

Obviously the likes of the Daily Mail love to exaggerate about Eastern Europeans eating all our swans and carp, but there may be SOME truth in it. Different cultures have different ethics regarding these issues and as a region rich in wildlife people probably do think nothing of poaching the odd waterbird or carp for their dinner in Eastern Europe and maybe some think they can do the same here. While I'm sure its not in the quantities claimed by the right wing press, I'd be surprised if it didn't happen occasionally.

While those who bang on about immigrants should rightly be criticised, I think occasionally beneath the prejudice there is a valid point.

I'm sure it does happen but as a threat to our wildlife as a whole I don't think it's an issue at all....far more greater things to worry about.

Our wildlife is under threat since the Eastern European invasion.

Obviously the likes of the Daily Mail love to exaggerate about Eastern Europeans eating all our swans and carp, but there may be SOME truth in it. Different cultures have different ethics regarding these issues and as a region rich in wildlife people probably do think nothing of poaching the odd waterbird or carp for their dinner in Eastern Europe and maybe some think they can do the same here.

If persons want to start spouting crap based on prejudices, perhaps they could educate themselves a little before posting. The blanket term 'Eastern Europe' covers an area, I presume, from Estonia right down to Bulgaria and Romania, a multitude of cultures and traditions - slurring all with the same brush?

Lithuanians are, by number, I think the second largest group of immigrants now residing in Britain, Poles I think first. In Lithuania, and I'll let Poland speak for itself, there is NO culture of killing swans for sport or food and indeed I would say most hunters are very respectful of laws in place in this regard.

Now let's take a look at wandon killing of wildlife 'for kicks' - whilst not that common in Britain, it certainly more common than in Lithuania. I can recall examples of swans being shot with crossbows on town ponds in Britain, of a baby deer being stamped on for no reason in Dorset, etc, etc. I can remember only one case of a similar event in Lithuania, a person who shot a White Stork - and the person responsible not only was prosecuted and punished, but also had his car confiscated (he had used it in the act) and lost his job (he was a state employee).

Sure, there are bad folks about, and maybe these persons who did this to a swan did come from somewhere in Eastern Europe (or maybe even from somewhere in Western Europe), but using the story to push the usual tosh about habits of Eastern Europe is a reflection on you and your ignorance of the region, not a reflection on Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
Funny how wildlife is generally more prolific in Eastern Europe. You'd think it would have been eaten by now... ;)

Indeed.

Anyway we actually need people to eat all these introduced waterfowl which contribute to the massive problems of eutrophication on our inland waterways. They can have the squirrels, deer and introduced fish too... Oh and the Pheasants...

Catch-and-release fishing is already quite a ridiculous concept to the Germans (unless the fish are undersized).

Of course illegal behaviour is linked to culture. For example, both London Asians and Belgians are more likely to catch cage birds, while the Dutch would be after eel, Poles after mushrooms and Germans after medicinal plants.

What I'd consider typically British wildlife crimes are raptor shooting/poisoning, egging, hare coursing, badger baiting, plant stealing and anything involving uncontrolled dogs. I think I can predict quite readily who would find which activity the most deplorable.

I am not sure about carp (do you have scarcity of carp?) but I see fishermen every day trying to catch small river fishes. Carp fishing contest finished few days ago (it was catch and release at a special controlled pond) and contestants said carp are among the most difficult fish to catch. In any case carp is our most consumed fish but it is the farmed carp; I hope they are farmed in cleaner water than our rivers which are full of semidecayed plastic (any time I see a single gull on water it is actually a white plastic bottle).

Regarding the swans, I haven't heard of anyone eating a swan lately in our country but there were cases of killing swans "for fun".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back