• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

random bird ID, Leicester, UK (1 Viewer)

SandraC

This is a complete long shot that someone may be able to suggest what bird the attached pictures are of. They were taken by my mum through her bedroom window with a mobile phone camera so the quality is not great. She is very curious as to what the bird could have been.

The description I have been given of this bird is that it was larger than a feral pigeon and most definitely not a pigeon!. It had two black spots on the side of its face and a black fairly chunky bill on it. When it flew off it had a fairly wide wingspan and the wings were not dark in colour.

My suggestion of a black headed gull was met with a clear no with her saying it had a black chunkier bill on it and not an orange one.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks
Sandra

Attachments

• 2015-01-05 12.17.32_edit.jpg
    2015-01-05 12.17.32_edit.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 2015-01-05 12.17.43_edit.jpg
    2015-01-05 12.17.43_edit.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 156
I dare say you won't get a positive identity, but something is telling me Jackdaw on the second image, of course with a form of leucism but I have nothing other than my gut telling me that

The chimney and tiles look pretty true-colour wise imo so assume the photo is pretty much an accurate image ... some escapee I'd imagine as opposed to an odd UK species, but what ...

Leucistic corvid (Carrion Crow or Jackdaw most likely) would be my guess... but if these are the only photos I don't think it can be definitely identified.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back