• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia II (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
And the exhibition of the most garbage photos from our late March trip continues!

1. Taman Negara, lowland (Melankai camp). Abbot's or Horsefield Babbler perhaps?

2.Genting Highlands 1700 m asl. Maybe Fire-breasted Flowerpecker?

3. Fraser's hill 1200 m asl. Probably a "Blue flycatcher" but which one?

4. Taman Negara lowland, another "Blue flycatecher" kind of bird.

5. Fraser's hill 1200 m asl.

Attachments

• bMG_8754.JPG
    bMG_8754.JPG
    513 KB · Views: 41
  • &_blue.jpg
    &_blue.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 38
  • fMG_0812.JPG
    fMG_0812.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 46
  • bMG_9961.JPG
    bMG_9961.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 42
  • aMG_6434.JPG
    aMG_6434.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 63
1. one of the two, but wouldn't like to say which
2. yes
3. maybe Pygmy Blue?
4. Tickell's (Indochinese) Blue?
5. Ferruginous Flycatcher

Thanks Andy for all your IDs! Anyone else cares to take a guess? I am afraid though that no. 1 would have to go down as "either" because it seems that the pictures just aren't good enough (with this being the best ...) and the Blues are also maybe somewhat ambitious ...

Thanks Andy for all your IDs! Anyone else cares to take a guess? I am afraid though that no. 1 would have to go down as "either" because it seems that the pictures just aren't good enough (with this being the best ...) and the Blues are also maybe somewhat ambitious ...

Sorry to be late on this thread, but here are my 2 cents:

1. Horsfield's Babbler
2. Fire-breasted Flowerpecker - agree.
3.Pygmy Blue Flycatcher
4. Ruby-cheeked Sunbird
5. ... a bit of a puzzle, , but not Ferruginous Flycatcher. Any other angles?

Sorry to be late on this thread, but here are my 2 cents:

1. Horsfield's Babbler
2. Fire-breasted Flowerpecker - agree.
3.Pygmy Blue Flycatcher
4. Ruby-cheeked Sunbird
5. ... a bit of a puzzle, , but not Ferruginous Flycatcher. Any other angles?

Great to see you back here, Dave.

Re no.1, I'd love to know how you ruled out Abbott's for future reference. There was another one of these a while back which is unresolved.

Re no.4, I wasn't expecting that, but now that I look again on iPhoto, you're quite right. There's a distinct mask, a green sheen on the back and wings and the belly is yellow. The bill is also too fine for a Flycatcher and the tail too short.

Re no.5, I was pretty sure of the ID, but looking again, I can see there should be double wingbars and a chestnut rump. If it's not Ferruginous, I don't have a clue what it is!

Andrew

Great to see you back here, Dave.

Re no.1, I'd love to know how you ruled out Abbott's for future reference. There was another one of these a while back which is unresolved.

Re no.4, I wasn't expecting that, but now that I look again on iPhoto, you're quite right. There's a distinct mask, a green sheen on the back and wings and the belly is yellow. The bill is also too fine for a Flycatcher and the tail too short.

Re no.5, I was pretty sure of the ID, but looking again, I can see there should be double wingbars and a chestnut rump. If it's not Ferruginous, I don't have a clue what it is!

Andrew

Hi Andy,

Yes, a rare foray into Birdforum land!

The babbler is a bit of a stretch, but the grey face and relatively small bill clinch it for me, just. If the underparts were visible, I would expect to see rather rich peachy orange colouration.

No 5 is a genuine puzzle. I've lightened it on Photoshop and still nothing is coming to mind. I'll see what James Eaton thinks of it.

Hi Andy,

Yes, a rare foray into Birdforum land!

The babbler is a bit of a stretch, but the grey face and relatively small bill clinch it for me, just. If the underparts were visible, I would expect to see rather rich peachy orange colouration.

No 5 is a genuine puzzle. I've lightened it on Photoshop and still nothing is coming to mind. I'll see what James Eaton thinks of it.

James says Hill Blue, and I think I agree (it's generally a good policy to agree with JE)!

Thanks! This seems like a pretty huge effort for a couple of our mostly blurry birds :) The Sunbird is obvious in hindsight, the Pygmy Blue I still don't know how did you ID from the others, but when two people say that, it's probably it!

Thanks! This seems like a pretty huge effort for a couple of our mostly blurry birds :) The Sunbird is obvious in hindsight, the Pygmy Blue I still don't know how did you ID from the others, but when two people say that, it's probably it!

Re the PBF, it's all in the jizz!

For me it was the apparently small build, small bill, sharp demarcation between cheek and breast (almost like a moustachial) and uniform pale orange underparts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back