• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird of the DAY? (1 Viewer)

deborah4

A walk along the beach in East Sussex gave me my 'best bird of the Day' - a Great Crested Grebe in full courting plumage diving just offshore - bit of a surprise - only seen them on fresh water before.

deborah4 said:
A walk along the beach in East Sussex gave me my 'best bird of the Day' - a Great Crested Grebe in full courting plumage diving just offshore - bit of a surprise - only seen them on fresh water before.

2 Common Snipe at Beddington Farm

2 Eiders at Strunjan saltpans (they're quite rare in Slovenia)
and
3 Arctic Loons in breeding plumage at Sečovlje saltpans

I had to choose two species because both were so nice to see!

Saw your list for 18 March in GermanBirdNet Jurek:

Whooper Swan 67, White-fronted Goose 1000, Bean Goose 1500, Greylag Goose 300, Barnacle Goose 5, Pintail 97 !, Wigeon 40, Teal 2 ,Goldeneye 2, Smew 1, Goosander 2 ,White-tailed Eagle 2, Red Kite 3, Hen Harrier 1 (0,1), Rough-legged Buzzard 3, Buzzard 36, Sparrowhawk 1, Crane 200, Great Bustard 3 (1,2), White Wagtail 1, Mistle Thrush 2, Great Grey Shrike 2, Brambling 1, Linnet 3, Redpoll 2, Corn Bunting 30

Nice work - bet it was cold out there!

two highlights...

Male Siskin singing his head off.

8 Hawfinch feeding in & under a Yew, one appeared to be trying to feed on flowers forming on the young shoots & looked like it was hovering :eek!: briefly.

Green Sandpiper on my local patch. Biggest suprise so far this year I think considering it is a heath with only a small bog

Short-eared owl yesterday at Burton Marsh on the Wirral - it flew right over our heads and then landed about 20 feet from our car. Stunning!

Great crested grebe
Not 1 but a group of 25 on the River colne this afternoon!
Has anyone else seen large groups of these?
Some of them can be seen on the attached pic, sorry for the poor image they were too far away for the camera

Regards Bish. :t:

Attachments

• 2006_0320Image0022.JPG
    2006_0320Image0022.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 2006_0320Image0010.JPG
    2006_0320Image0010.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
A small party of around a dozen Crossbills (a patch tick) and a Long Eared Owl - both on my patch yesterday afternoon.

Alan

Best Bird

Best bird of each day - a dipper flying along the river as I walk to the railway station each morning. Think it's going to nest there.

Sandra

:cat: :cat:

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Best bird of each day - a dipper flying along the river as I walk to the railway station each morning. Think it's going to nest there.

Sandra

:cat: :cat:

nice one Sandra - maybe you'll get some pics (not of the nest of course!) - a pleasant start to a day's work ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back