• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chough Chough in Snowdonia!!! (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I'm in Snowdonia next week and would like to see Choughs.

I beleive outside the breeding season they congregate on the mountains of Snowdonia.

As I've got the kids with me I'll be limited to viewing craggy mountain areas within moderate walking distance of dead end roads and mountain pass car parks.

Will I be wasting my time??? or have I a chance????

:king:

paul
Best place would be South Stacks, Anglesey. Not to far now dual carriage way opened up all the way across the Island. They can often be seen by the car park.

Don't know of any other spots where a sighting could be almost guaranteed!

I saw them last year at the very end of the Lynn Penninsula just opposite Bardesy Island - 2 pairs allowing me to get within 25 feet at times. Fabulous views but South Stack is very reliable too.

Hi Paul

The top of the Great Orme is considered to be a place worth visiting if looking for Chough, and does have the advantage for you of a car park on the top along with a cafe etc.

Not as good as South Stack but perhaps nearer to where you are staying.

Good luck

Andy

Much closer, I think, there's a place near to Twywn called, if I remember, Bird Hill (?). We've seen over a dozen choughs there over several annual visits. Never failed us yet.

There is always Bird Rock near Cader Idris - we see them there each year, along with inland nesting Cormorant and usually Peregringe on the rock. Last year had a Red Kite overhead at about 30 feet taking a good look AT US! Great place.

Thanks for all the info above...

I'll get a chance to check out Bird Rock near Cader Idris and the rocky sides of Snowdon during my stay.

Hi Paul

Not sure if you have the location of Bird Rock - OS grid ref is 643071 - if you pull off the road at this junction you can set your scope up and gaze up the rock face immediatley above you (angled scope and advantage due to the sheerness of the rock face. We usually see them in the late afternoon, early evening after a visit to the Broad Water estuary just north of Tywyn - you can see bird rock in the distance from here and Broad Water is good for amny bird species, both water birds and meadow birds - we saw good views of Egrets here last year.

very jealous of you - enjoy!

That's the spot Michael - a place of true tranquility with only the sound of the Choughs on the crag to enjoy... ahhhh!

You could always try above Aber Falls. they're usually fairly reliable plus you get the chance of Goshawk (although Spring is best, when the birds are displaying).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back