• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Birding Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Do you remember your Birding Anniversary? Do you do anything special for it? My anniversary is on 16th February (18th anniversary this Sunday) I always go to my first ever local patch which is The Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh. Back then a pond was full of birds sadly not so much now but I still get good birds there, I'm looking forward what will turn up this year on my 18th anniversary.

Don’t remember the date, Euan. I do remember the reason. We had some visiting friends that were big birders. They wanted to see the Elegant Trojan which, at the time, a few would come up to the Huachuca Mountains in AZ to nest. We took them there and a few other places in the area looking for birds. Missed the Trogan but the trip made me realize how I could combine walking in nature with birding. It took me another 5 years before I saw a Trogan!
Found this forum shortly after the visitors left.

28 May, 1979, at the age of 12, I became keen enough to write my birding notes up and put them in the folder, something I still do although they have been printed rather than hand written for a very long time.

Unfortunately my obsessively tidy mother chucked out all my meticulously kept ring-bound birding notes from age 12-16 while I was away at uni, so my first ever 'proper' birding trip (to Gosforth Park Nature Reserve - lifers including willow tit and tawny owl if I remember correctly) is lost to posterity.
I do remember the anniversary of seeing my first yellow-browed warbler though, which needed to be written up in order to get accepted in those days - 14th October....a very long time ago!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back