• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query on editing pics on a laptop. (1 Viewer)

senatore

A couple of weeks ago I got shot of my old desk top PC and bought a laptop.I am very pleased with the change with the exception of editing my pictures which are mainly of birds.

The trouble is when you've got a shot on the screen to edit if you move your head up or down or you adjust the slope of the screen the shot can get lighter or darker and you are not sure if you've got the correct level brightness of the shot so that you can then edit it without messing it up.I hope I'm not talking rubbish

Anyone else have this problem.If so any advice?

Max.

It happens on desk top PC's as well. I think it's due to the LCD screen as opposed to a CRT monitor. You've got to angle it just right to even illumination across the screen.

Must admit I find it difficult to even judge the merits of a shot on a laptop leave alone edit on one. I have calibrated my laptop which improves things a bit but like has already been mentioned, you only have to change your angle of view slightly and the image goes to pot.

I think this is a common problem. I do any editing on a desktop and the pictures on the laptop are both a backup and a sometimes a way of sharing photos with friends.

I think this is a common problem. I do any editing on a desktop and the pictures on the laptop are both a backup and a sometimes a way of sharing photos with friends.

You've pretty much answered it!....How many professional photo retouchers do you know who colour and image correct on a laptop.

Sorry to say it guys, technology is indeed genius these days and a lot of TFT screens are amazing and can compete with the old CRT monitors, but anything portable is always going to be asking for trouble. The more static your monitor the better you can calibrate and get your settings to stay within one environment. ;)

I find that if you can see the reflection of your face in the middle of the laptop screen before switching on then it is about at the correct viewing angle.

A couple of weeks ago I got shot of my old desk top PC and bought a laptop.I am very pleased with the change with the exception of editing my pictures which are mainly of birds.

The trouble is when you've got a shot on the screen to edit if you move your head up or down or you adjust the slope of the screen the shot can get lighter or darker and you are not sure if you've got the correct level brightness of the shot so that you can then edit it without messing it up.I hope I'm not talking rubbish

Anyone else have this problem.If so any advice?

Max.

It's the change of slope of the screen that used to drive me mad and it's always going to be at a slightly different angle. I'm afraid I solved it by swearing I was never going to buy a laptop again. Of course you could connect a screen to the laptop.

I used to try to edit photos on the road (motel rooms) using my laptop, but gave up long ago--the screen picture just wasn't good enough for consistent results. Nowadays I wait until I'm back home & have access to a desktop monitor. Maybe one of these days the technology will improve enough for laptop photo editing to be feasible. I hope so & I hope it happens soon as it would be a real convenience.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back