• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lense caps (1 Viewer)

J Moss

Does anyone know of a good place to get replacement lense caps for binoculars? I've lost 2 of 4 (as you do!) and need some replacements, plus spares. They're for a pair of Bushnell Powerview 8x42s.

Cheers

Jason

Thanks for the links edz. Looks good.

I just had a thought. I've seen bins with a single, long, flip over lense cap that you attach to the strap, or somewhere. One of those would be excelent, especially in the rain. Any idea whaere to get hold of one of those. Preferably on the internet.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

J Moss said:
Thanks for the links edz. Looks good.

I just had a thought. I've seen bins with a single, long, flip over lense cap that you attach to the strap, or somewhere. One of those would be excelent, especially in the rain. Any idea whaere to get hold of one of those. Preferably on the internet.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Hi Jason

Opticron make a universal rainguard (one of those 'single, long, flip over lense cap that you attach to the strap' things) which would fit your bins. They are available from most binocular retailers and should only set you back a few quid.

It's worth checking out the 'proper' camera shops. Many have odds and ends for a few pence if you aren't bothered about paying for branded items.

postcardcv said:
Hi Jason

Opticron make a universal rainguard (one of those 'single, long, flip over lense cap that you attach to the strap' things) which would fit your bins.
The sinister word here is 'universal'. One-size-fits-all doesn't work with socks and it doesn't work with binoculars. The rainguard is so wide that you have to open the binocs out pretty far to keep it on securely, thus losing your IPD setting. If you just need something to keep the crumbs out of the oculars during lunch, then okay. Otherwise I much prefer lense caps.

RSPB reserves have collections of lost lens caps that will never be reclaimed and in my (admittedly limited) experience the staff are quite happy to see them recycled.

Michael.

Rainguards are supposed to be a loose fit - they are designed to sit over the oculars of your bins while they hang round your neck, but then fall away when you lift them to your eyes. The idea is that they keep rain (and crumbs) off your bins, but do not get in the way when viewing... personally I find lens caps very annoying - if you have them on your bins they can cost you vital seconds when trying to get on a bird.

MacGee said:
The sinister word here is 'universal'. One-size-fits-all doesn't work with socks and it doesn't work with binoculars. The rainguard is so wide that you have to open the binocs out pretty far to keep it on securely, thus losing your IPD setting.
Another RSPB plug. I bought a rainguard from them with an articulated join between the two caps. Allows it to fit almost any bins without changing the IPD.

hollis_f said:
Another RSPB plug. I bought a rainguard from them with an articulated join between the two caps. Allows it to fit almost any bins without changing the IPD.
i bought five heavy rubber nikon rainguards from a guy on ebay sometime ago [ like your design ] they are very large and will fit all of my binocular eyepieces, even the big swifts, they are a joy to use, as they are easy on, and easy off, and very flexible, much better than the one piece designs.

stuart C smith said:
i bought five heavy rubber nikon rainguards from a guy on ebay sometime ago [ like your design ] they are very large and will fit all of my binocular eyepieces, even the big swifts, they are a joy to use, as they are easy on, and easy off, and very flexible, much better than the one piece designs.

Ah, didnt think of ebay. Will have a look

J Moss said:
Ah, didnt think of ebay. Will have a look

would you guys recommend the tethered lens caps? I hate constantly putting my Leupold wind river's lens cap in my pocket every time I use it

NWBirder said:
would you guys recommend the tethered lens caps? I hate constantly putting my Leupold wind river's lens cap in my pocket every time I use it
I take the caps off the binoculars at home and leave them behind in the pouch. I don't like anything tethered to the binoculars or strap.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back