• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

26/12/11 DBP More birders on the reserve today, 300 Lapwing above the private area, the RSPB were interested in this private area of lakes which is quite extensive and all in Staffordshire (see Google earth), however the owner is wealthy and into shooting and therefore did not take this offer, a few years ago I found a fresh dead Hobby behind the copse here.
North pit 200 Lapwing, 100 Greylag Geese, Little Egret, 3 Shelduck, 2 Meadow Pipit.Geoff Williams seeing 2 Stonechat Mid West area.
Dosthill NR Water Rail, finch flock of c40 Goldfinch and c20 Redpoll feeding on Alder on West side but very flighty. Water Rail calling, noted fishermen leaving empty bottle and plastic rubbish.

Regards, John

Last edited:
29/12/11 DBP windy with showers today and quiet, 4 Shelduck on the North pit, the reserve pulling in visitors from far and wide, those travelling up and down the Country (visiting different areas or visiting relatives are visting the reserve) i.e 2 people recently visiting the reserve now living in Dorset but orignally from Yorkshire going back to Yorkshire to see their relatives. I was speaking to an RSPB Staff member from Minsmere today visiting the site with relatives from the midlands, his relative commenting since his last visit the RSPB had taken to much rough out. Regarding the New bridge Hanson's must have meant at the end of the tax year at the meeting, this being the new deadline 5/4/12.

Regards, John

1/1/12 DBP Red Head Smew seen on the mid pool from high bund Dosthill lake Steven Cawthray, later flew north. Also today pair of Stonechat on Bullrushes East end of New reedbed pool, Cetti's in ditch by canal track, 2 Shelduck North pit and Little Egret, Goosander heading North.
North of Dosthill NR Stock Dove shot and still alive by gun club North of here (supposed to be shooting clays)
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Warks side Mill Plantation (M Hodson)
Full day list on West Midlands Forum.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Yesterday's Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on the Warks side Middleton Hall, Mill Plantation Martin confirmed it was a male ( It was a Male that visited the feeders). Also the Jack Snipe was seen Fisher's mill on the Warks side by Geoff Williams.

Regards, John

2 Red Head Smew have been seen today in Warks just south of the reserve at Kingsbury Waterpark, Cliff pool, they may be seen in favoured areas in the next few days i.e DBP central pools ( for best view of this area the high bund at Dosthill lake) or they can show at Dosthill NR.

Regards, John

Last edited:
6/1/11 DBP New Reedbed pool 2 Shelduck, ditch by the canal Cetti's Warbler, Mid pools Male Smew and 4 Goldeneye, pools towards the river a Water Rail calling, North pit 800 Lapwing. Later SLC Pair Stonechat New Reedbed pool West end.
Dosthill NR Little Egret, Goldeneye and 3 Pochard.
Warks side Short-eared Owl Dosthill lake (JH) and Middleton Hall Mill plantation Lesser Spotted Woodpecker(JM).

Regards, John

6/1/11 DBP New Reedbed pool 2 Shelduck, ditch by the canal Cetti's Warbler, Mid pools Male Smew and 4 Goldeneye, pools towards the river a Water Rail calling, North pit 800 Lapwing. Later SLC Pair Stonechat New Reedbed pool West end.
Dosthill NR Little Egret, Goldeneye and 3 Pochard.
Warks side Short-eared Owl Dosthill lake (JH) and Middleton Hall Mill plantation Lesser Spotted Woodpecker(JM).

Regards, John

John, Where is the Mill plantation?

Jon

10/1/12 DBP 11:09 Grey Plover over, Willow Tit working North along the canal hedgerow.
mid pools male Smew and a male Goldeneye displaying to a female. 2 Goosander on pool NE area and another over. 4 Shelduck on the North pit, 600 lapwing over the private area. Dosthill NR Cetti's Warbler, Goldeneye and Kingfisher.

Regards, John

Last edited:
13/1/12 Dosthill NR Short-eared which ventured over to DBP North.
DBP Cetti's in ditch by canal, 1200 Lapwing, Redshank, 6 Goldeneye, 4 Shelduck, male Stonechat reported.
At dusk nice to see a group of 10 Little Egret together heading South also 1 and 1 Total 12.

Regards, John

15/1/12 DBP Cetti's pool by West track, pair of Stonechat (MJI), Little Egret centre pools and also one north pit, North pit 7 Shelduck, by the river a Chiffchaff with 3 Goosander over South.
Dosthill Lake Warks Short-eared Owl.

Regards, John

John

Is the Cetti's In proper Staffs??? How often does it show? What are the directions for Someone coming from North Staffs?

Cetti's is a big gap on my staffs list so any info greatlt appreciated.

Phil.

Cetti's

John

Is the Cetti's In proper Staffs??? How often does it show? What are the directions for Someone coming from North Staffs?

Cetti's is a big gap on my staffs list so any info greatlt appreciated.

Phil.

Hi Phil, If you cross the canal at Fisher's mill bridge and turn left heading towards the North pit this is proper Staffs not modern County of, every time I walk along here I get the Cetti's usually only the contact call but can go into full song on the odd occasion, in the ditch running between the track and the canal hedge. However today once only it was at the edge of a pool right side of the track. Although the bird can easily be missed as not everyone can pick out the contact call, I report it but others don't, probably they don't hear it, Geoff Williams also had it singing briefly. I have seen many Cetti's so I don't look for it, if you need a vis for your record could be harder, if the bird retains this area as a territory should hear more song later. However could be just a winter area but did have one singing here last Spring.

Regards, John

Hi Phil, If you cross the canal at Fisher's mill bridge and turn left heading towards the North pit this is proper Staffs not modern County of, every time I walk along here I get the Cetti's usually only the contact call but can go into full song on the odd occasion, in the ditch running between the track and the canal hedge. However today once only it was at the edge of a pool right side of the track. Although the bird can easily be missed as not everyone can pick out the contact call, I report it but others don't, probably they don't hear it, Geoff Williams also had it singing briefly. I have seen many Cetti's so I don't look for it, if you need a vis for your record could be harder, if the bird retains this area as a territory should hear more song later. However could be just a winter area but did have one singing here last Spring.

Regards, John

Thanks John

I will down in the next couple of weeks on a Saturday Morning. I will PM you nearer the time if that's ok.

Phil.

19/1/11 Middleton Hall Warks side, Mill plantation Lesser Spotted Woodepcker, Cetti's singing silt pool.
DBP (Staffs) 2 Shelduck, 5 Goldeneye, Little Egret, 200 Lapwing, Chiiffchaff by the river.

Regards, John

White Lapwing

Seen yesterday DBP field NW of North pit by Peter Burton, probably a Leucistic Lapwing (Albino's having a pink eye). This bird has not been seen by anyone else so far and would appear to be a newcomer, although Lapwings are out of view on the private area, they tend to go on the RSPB Reserve also.

Regards, John

Attachments

• P1000304.JPG
    P1000304.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 30
Hello all,

I will be visiting on 7th Feb - can anyone supply walking directions from Wilnecote station.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I will be visiting on 7th Feb - can anyone supply walking directions from Wilnecote station.

Thanks in advance.

Thats a good walk Alan !!

Havent got time to type directions at the moment, however all being well i'll give it a go this evening.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back