• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

You say Zagayto, I say Zagahto (1 Viewer)

I saw a pair of these on the Bay of Evil for a starting bid of $4,000 or so. They look awful, so an awful price is fitting.

I saw a pair of these on the Bay of Evil for a starting bid of $4,000 or so. They look awful, so an awful price is fitting.

I wouldn't say these look awful. Most binoculars are rubber coated monuments to utility, not fashion statements, but these are fashion statements to the point where it doesn't look like the eye cups have rubber armor. I bet they cost way more than $4,000 new.

Suggested retail is 3,450 Euros. Interesting that throughout the promo people are seen holding them but never once using them. The one 3 second shot of the guy on top of a building is from such a distance that you don't know what glass he has.

I think they are cool looking but impractical. If thats aluminum its soft so the second you touch it means instant scratch. Of course whomever buys them will never ever use them beyond opening the case. Its like the titanium Leica M body cameras.

They are disgusting, but i guess a dude might like who has no fieldcraft, with barrels that reflect like a jet plane in the sun......8-P

The video of Venice is quite good. It also demonstrates why a flat field alpha 6X32 would be an ideal travel binocular. Each summer I see hundreds of eyeballs glued to electronics that show none of the beauty or detail one sees in a great bin. IS camera folks get some wonderful shots but it's not the same as the living view through a binocular.

There was a recent tan leather edition of the 8x42 Ultravid which also came in a fancy leather case. I haven't been able to find it in the Leica Website./QUOTE]

You are probably referring to the Hermès limited edition Ultravid HD+.

The San Francisco Leica Store has both the Zagato and the Hermes on display.

No. It isn't the Hermes.

I remembered that it was the Leica Ultravid Edition Safari. It was green and identical in specs to the Leica Ultravid Silverline binoculars and had a tan canvas and leather case.

http://www.adorama.com/lc842use.html

There were only 100 each of the 8x42 and 10x42 versions made.

It says it has 2x objective caps. I have no idea what that means.

It costs $2499.00, which is about $700.00 more than the Silverline edition costs.

Here is the Bird Forum thread about it:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=321399

Bob

Last edited:
Every [smart] brand will start making a "commemorative edition" or a "limited edition" or an "anniversary edition" of an existing product once they realize they can no longer improve it or make a better product. It is a well-established marketing technique. Winchester markets some kind of "anniversary edition" of their Model 94 rifle every 2 or 3 year :) Leica is similar.. They don't know how to make any meaningful improvements in their existing products so they make red editions, Japan edition or Zagato editions ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back