• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kebnekaise Area N. Sweden June 2019 (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I flew up to Kiruna recently for a bit of birding and hiking. I had planned to hike from Nikkualokta to Abisko via the Kungsleden but in the end decided to stay in the more mountainous area around Kebnekaise and return to Nikkualokta. I didn't see anything new for me but still was quite pleased with the birds I saw.

In the forest low down there were lots of Bluethroats and Willow Warblers. Also Pied Flycatchers and a few Redstart.

Higher up, on the tundra there were lots of Golden Plover, Dotterel, Long-tailed Skua and Rough-legged Buzzard. I didn't find any Lapland Buntings. Around snow patches there were Snow Buntings.

On higher lakes there were Long-tailed Ducks, Black-throated Divers and Temminck's Stints. The ducks and divers were somewhat restricted to small open areas at the edge of lakes. The stints would sit on the edges of the ice, looking for insects. There were also a few Redshank and Ringed Plover around.

There was still a lot of snow around and maybe a better time for birding might be mid July when more of it has melted. If you can put up with the mosquitoes. Late August is supposed to be a good time for hiking, but I'm not sure that the birds would be so evident.

Some photos here http://www.learnedtraveller.com/swedish-lapland-2019/lapland/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back