• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

By Sound ID (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
Is it Wagtail sound? or I am in wrong :)

The first time I heard it, I thought it was a familiar sound.

Thank you for your attention

Attachments

• AUD-20191015-WA0005.mp3
    463.4 KB · Views: 74
recently

It very much sounds like a Hume's Leaf Warbler to me. Not a regulare species in Iran I suppose but there have been records in the Gulf region - as you can see on the Xeno-Canto map (https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Phylloscopus-humei)...

Is it a recent recording?

I thank you so much for your comment. Yes, it was the recent recording. As you mentioned Hume's Leaf Warbler is not regular in Iran.
My first guess is Wagtail ?!?!?!

I have only heard one Hume’s, a UK bird, and it sounded just like that. I have heard loads of YB’s and the difference to my ears is distinct FWIW:t:

Laurie -

There is a certain call of White Wagtail that sounds very similar, I know. I was wondering about that too. It just sounds better for Hume's Warbler to my ears. It would possibly help to know the circumstances like habitat etc... if it was heard from trees or bushes it is more likely to be a Hume's Warbler.

Right

There is a certain call of White Wagtail that sounds very similar, I know. I was wondering about that too. It just sounds better for Hume's Warbler to my ears. It would possibly help to know the circumstances like habitat etc... if it was heard from trees or bushes it is more likely to be a Hume's Warbler.

Yes , that's right the voice sounds the same Hume's leaf Warbler, so I asked my friend who recorded this sound for the situation.
She said it was on the roof and she heard the voice.

...if it was on the roof, White Wagtail certainly would be the better option. Most curious!

Well yes! ..... wondering if there are trees overhanging or nearby the roof?

Personally, alba wagtail's calls just don't have the subtle Yellow-browed feeling that a Hume's does. If it turns out to be a wagtail, I've learned something.

One thing for sure: It's not just simply too long for a Hume's call!

This call puzzles me so I browsed xeno-canto to find calls from White Wagtail (WW) and Hume's Leaf Warbler (HLW) that match the OP call. I compiled a file with three HLW, the mystery call from Iran and then three WW calls. Just listen how similar they can sound. Still to me HLW sounds like a slightly better fit. As you can see in the spectrogram HLW and these WW calls are next to identical in length. It's a pity that the quality of the recording isn't good enough to really work with. The frequency range of WW calls seems to be larger but one needs to be cautious when analysing such low quality recording (no offence)...

In the end I wouldn't like to decide what it is. Anyway, a very instructive call...

Attachments

• HumesLW-vs-WWagttail_AuCi.jpg
    HumesLW-vs-WWagttail_AuCi.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 19
  • HumesW-vs-WWagtail.mp3
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
If it was on a rooftop then even if no picture i presume it would have been seen and if a Wagtail it would be obvious - if it is a Wagtail then it’s a ‘good one’...

Laurie:t:

One thing for sure: It's not just simply too long for a Hume's call!

This call puzzles me so I browsed xeno-canto to find calls from White Wagtail (WW) and Hume's Leaf Warbler (HLW) that match the OP call. I compiled a file with three HLW, the mystery call from Iran and then three WW calls. Just listen how similar they can sound. Still to me HLW sounds like a slightly better fit. As you can see in the spectrogram HLW and these WW calls are next to identical in length. It's a pity that the quality of the recording isn't good enough to really work with. The frequency range of WW calls seems to be larger but one needs to be cautious when analysing such low quality recording (no offence)...

In the end I wouldn't like to decide what it is. Anyway, a very instructive call...

Nice one Roland, now I'm much less certain - very instructive indeed :t:

I'd still like to know if the bird was heard calling on the roof or from the roof area and if there are trees/vegetation around it. If it was actually on the roof it has to be WW.

I have to come back to this. By chance a friend just sent me a recording of a White Wagtail that was sitting on a roof (in Eastern Germany) and was calling the attached call going on for minutes. He only recorded it via smartphone, hence a rather poor recording. I compiled the OP call (first call) and the call of the WW and made a spectrogram. Just the same, don't you think...

Attachments

• Mys-Iran_WWagtail_SE-Germany.mp3
    66.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Mys-Iran_WWagttail.jpg
    Mys-Iran_WWagttail.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back