• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any information on Tasco model 110 7x35? (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

I picked this up a few days ago and guess that it dates from the mid 60's? Its a Tasco (lower case) model 110 7x35. Also Magnesium body, 657ft at 1000yds extra wide angle.

Its in good condition, although with some light wispy fungus inside. Very bright, clear and sharp. The edge's go soft early but not to bad. But its the wonderful panoramic view that makes you go wow, has very good 3D effect to. Its a real delight to use. Heavy and seems to be very well made, the view I find to be very intoxicting, never had anything with this wonderful wide angle view before.

I know a little about the 116&118 models but this seems a cut above some how!:t:

flossie,

I do remember reading about this model in the last month or so. Someone else has/had it or purchased it. It may have been over on Cloudy Nights or another forum when I was researching classic extra wide angle 7x35s. I don't remember much about the discussion but will see if I can find it.

I have several different models of vintage Tasco porros, but the model 100 is not one of them. However, they are all far more alike than they are different. The best way to tell which is which is to look at the label on the prism plate, they are that close. Internally they are all carbon copies and I think the internal parts may well interchange, but I confess to not having tried that ;). My favorite is probably the Tasco 116, which is about the only one different internally from the others, in that it has smaller prisms and it all fits into a more compact body and is thus smaller than the others, but aside from the size scale, there seems no difference.

They are all easy to take apart, but you have to be careful because at some point Godzilla must have worked at Tasco (or Nitto Koki Co. which made most Tascos). Some stuff can be ungodly tight.

With taking as little apart as needed, run the focus to the point where the oculars run as close to the prism plate as they will go, remove the cover on the objective side of the hinge. That may uncover a couple of the too tight set screws, but leave them be and look up the hole and you will see a screw head which holds the focus rod and the ocular mechanism. Loosen the screw until it comes out of its place. It won't come out of the binocular if you leave the rest of the hinge cover in place.

At this point reverse the focus direction and gently run the focus knob until the focus rod and attached oculars come loose. Set this aside on a clean paper towel and cover with another. The ocular tube can then be removed, but beware, Godzilla may have installed that too. You may need a small strap wrench, padded pliers, and/or maybe a carefully whittled (to fit inside the ocular tube) dowel to loosen it. This is a potentially ruinous operation so be careful, especially screwing it back together. Take it out and then remove the screws from the prism plate and the plate can be removed, exposing the internal prism mounting. That plate is held in place by three screws, which can be removed and the prism mount can then be lifted out to expose the internal glass surfaces. If the binocular is collimated I try my best to not remove the objective lenses assembly unless I want to recollimate. If that has to come out to clean fungus, be sure to note the respective orientation of the eccentric rings and the position of the adjustment slots. But you can get access to all of the inside glass surfaces from here. That fungus should be removed or it will eventually etch the glass surface it grows on.

Reverse procedure to put back together. If I can do this you can too. Just be careful and patient.

EDIT to note that on the plate that mounts the prisms, there are also three very small set screws there that can serve to manipulate the prism angle. DON"T mess with those other than to be sure they are just barely in contact.

Last edited:
Looking through past posts here on birdforum I found one on the Tasco model 118. There a member goes on to say that the model 110 had 'high index prisms' where as the models 116 & 118 had low index prisms?

Can find little else on the model 110 though. I would just say that the lens in the eye piece is very large. Would that have something to do with the very wide FOV?

binoculars 010.JPG

binoculars 011.JPG

binoculars 012.JPGI thought that I would post a few photo's of my Tasco model 110. Since I got them I've used them a great deal and just love them. They are very bright, clear and sharp and having been used to field of views of around 400/450ft, to have one that gives 650plus is just amazing. The whole flock is there in front of you and easy to find birds in trees. Heavy though but very nice to hold and handle and well made.

Here is my 116 http://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/5181896658/
And here is my 118 http://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/3107870098/
Yours looks a slightly later model possibly with Bak4 prisms?

Thanks for that. The Optics of this model 110 do seem to be very good, so could be Bak4? The sweet spot is large and although there is a lot of distortion at the very edge, it seems to go only soft quite late on. That said I will take the very large field of view over the soft edge any day! :t:

View attachment 375730

View attachment 375732

View attachment 375733I thought that I would post a few photo's of my Tasco model 110. Since I got them I've used them a great deal and just love them. They are very bright, clear and sharp and having been used to field of views of around 400/450ft, to have one that gives 650plus is just amazing. The whole flock is there in front of you and easy to find birds in trees. Heavy though but very nice to hold and handle and well made.
Tasco model 110 7x35. Magnesium body, 657ft at 1000yd

Im wondering the worth of these im looking to Sell this Item and i would like to know how much i can get for them.

Tasco model 110 7x35. Magnesium body, 657ft at 1000yd

Im wondering the worth of these im looking to Sell this Item and i would like to know how much i can get for them.

Put them on ebay, use GOOD pictures, give a complete and thorough description, be up front about whether or not they are in collimation and what kind of shape they are in. There was a different branded 657' 7x35 that went nearly $100 a month or so ago. There is NO WAY to know what they will bring. These were excellent used condition binoculars. If they look used, even if collimated, they will bring less. Just set a reserve or a minimum starting bid you can live with and see what shakes out.

I know this is an old thread, however I`v just purchased a 7x35 Tasco with 500ft fov in mint condition from "cash generators" for a paltry £10.99, I have no idea of the model number yet but if they`re any good at all I`ll post a picture or two.

I have a hankering for a Nikon 7x35 and though I`d try the format out before investing a lot more in what will be quite an old binocular.

Really looking forward to a 500ft fov however good/bad it is.

Aha...there they are! I have and love those. Uncharacteristic for Tasco but ultra-wides
usually are, factory-wise. Looks like monster Bak-4s looking at them...
JC Penney had some later beuaties like that, but the fast focuser ruined the
resolution. Shame. Beware fast focus in ultras..you may never get the
two eyes to sync quite right..

The 110 has a focuser like that on the Swift NightHawks...very solid
and smooth, although the knurls drag slightly on mine..

I take off my glasses and dive in, but my astigmatism is very light.
There is a little barrel distortion....I get dizzy if I pan too fast.

The Swift NightHawks (7x35) seem to have better eye relief for a wide-fov.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back