• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 82 with 25-75 vs. Zeiss 85 with 20-60? (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

Hello all,

I have the Zeiss 85 with 20-60x zoom eyepiece. It's one helluva scope. But I'm in the midst of selling a good deal of my equipment (for money shortage reasons) and I'm *thinking* I can still get $1500 for the Zeiss 85 with zoom eyepiece, transferable warranty, and Creedmoor protective case, etc. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but the scope is in excellent shape.

If I am able to get that much, it would seem as though I could possibly buy a Nikon Fieldscope 82 with 25-75x zoom eyepiece, which I see advertised for $1299, with free shipping. So I could end up with a different very high quality scope, plus $200 in the pocket.

So, my question is...how do these two scopes compare? I notice the Nikon starts at 25x (advantage Zeiss, as often 20x is all I need, and where Zeiss is clearest). Nikon does go up to 75x, but I doubt I'd ever really need to use that.

How's the color rendition? Anybody use both scopes side-by-side?

Any thoughts are more than appreciated.

I think I'll field this question, swamp_rattler.

It's all in personal taste really. Not only that, but variation within each brand factors into the equation as well. Both are top-notch scopes, and I'm sure you'd be happy with either. But if you're happy with your Diascope, you might as well stay put. Why fix what ain't broken?

Your pal,
swamp_rattler

yeah agreed with swamp as i own nikon fieldscope and has tried all the top brands for comparison and im happy with any brand for birding and digiscoping too :)

SR,

Just listen to your pal - he seems like a sensible guy.:-O
Color rendition is better in the Nikon, but otherwise a good sample of the Zeiss is IMO >$200 better: better eye-relief, wider FOV, easier to aim, focus, digiscope...

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back