• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Babbler in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

The earlier thread about Sri Lanka got me thinking and , digging a photo of a babbler species out from 2014 , I would be grateful if anyone can advise whether this bird attached is, as I expect, a Yellow-billed Babbler, or just possibly an Orange-billed Babbler.

Attachments

• babbler.jpg
    babbler.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 52
Yellow-billed for me. Has the pale panel in the wing and is less grey than Jungle. In the field I found the bill and legs on orange-billed to look more orange than yellow. Orange is much more range restricted and I found much harder to connect with . Which part of Sri Lanka did you take the picture in ?

Hi Carole
Thank you for your kind reply. I took the photo on the outskirts of the village of Madampe, about 20 miles from Udawalawe.
You've taught me something there. If I ever connect with the Orange-billed I'll be in a better position to nail it now.
I may be wrong don't think Jungle Babbler is found in Sri Lanka

My pleasure Kasfig :)

I find the bird forum opus a really helpful research tool.

Here is the link to Yellow-billed Babbler in the opus :

https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Yellow-billed_Babbler

If you go to the bottom of that page you can also click on the photos or video links of the bird, which bird forum members have uploaded, which are also really helpful .

There is also a search box to the left hand side of the page, where you can type in the name of the bird that you are searching for. If you type in Orange-billed Babbler, or ,say Jungle Babbler you can then also see the entries for those two birds and make your comparisons of where found , identification features etc etc.

I find the Bird Forum Opus especially helpful, when I do not have a field guide to hand.

Kind regards, Carol

Last edited:
Dear Carol
Sorry for mis-spelling your name earlier.
Thank you for the tip about birdforum opus.
That, I imagine will be great when one is out and about on the move. I imagine the website is optimized for mobile browsing as well as desktop computing.
I shall bear this in mind for my future birding.

Hi Kasfig,

No worries about my name :)

I have only ever used the Bird Forum Opus at home, from a pc or I-pad. I have never tried to use it in the field, nor have I ever tried to access it from my smartphone, so I can't answer your query re mobile phone usage or whether so enabled, sorry.

Can anyone else answer this for Kafig, or the people more directly involved with the Opus, please ?

If I have difficulties in identifying in the field, Kafig, I tend to take field notes, keep a mental picture and, if possible ( which it is not always ) take a photograph .

Kind regards, Carol

Kasfig, you will only find Orange-billed Babbler in original, undisturbed forest habitat like Sinharaja and Kitulgala - they will reach the edges of these areas, but not beyond. They're absent from disturbed forest or any kind of altered habitats. They're relatively easy to see at Sinharaja, where they take part in bird waves.

Kasfig, you will only find Orange-billed Babbler in original, undisturbed forest habitat like Sinharaja and Kitulgala - they will reach the edges of these areas, but not beyond. They're absent from disturbed forest or any kind of altered habitats. They're relatively easy to see at Sinharaja, where they take part in bird waves.

Agreed. I'm just back from Sri Lanka and saw them at the Rain Forest Eco lodge at Sinharaja. There is a bird walk at dawn there which is a good idea to take as the guide who runs it is very knowledgeable about the bird foraging parties, their composition and where they tend to forage. He also takes enough time aiding people with the photos they want!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back