• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An interesting New Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

erniehatt

I have just bought a new eyepiece, a 30mm 2 inch, for use with the Canon A640. This eyepiece has a unique built in threaded adapter fitting which allows for the sliding up and down of the camera to compensate for the zoom (see image1).
Although the eyepiece has an adapter in itś own right,I have put together a bracket (adapter) to hold the camera in position, also incorporating a release bracket. It is easier to adjust for the various zoom locations than previous adapters I have made ( see image1). I had thought about using the lensmate 58mm adapter, but it would have meant butchering it thus making it useless for anything else, it would have worked except for the wide end.
These eyepieces are also available in normal 1.25 barrels with focal lengths of 40 and 32mm they are T2 threaded to accept a direct attachment. (image1).
Eye relief is approx 20mm, lens diameter is 36mm,
Tests with the A640 were very encouraging, It was vignette free over the whole range. I had to make only two adjustments, at full zoom it covered the full range except for full wide, I had to adjust separately for that.
Info on them at the moment is rather sparse, but I am trying to collect some, and will post it as it becomes available.

MY NORMAL SETTING FOR A640 WITH THIS EYEPIECE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I set the camera on custom mode, other settings are, Aperture Priority, continuous mode, iso 100, spot exposure and focus, Macro, WB auto, zoom setting full Tele, I then adjust for the required zoom manually.
Whether the increasing gap between lens and eyepiece has any effect on image quality, Im not sure, but will conduct some tests to find out. Overall movement is approx 12mm.

Having 2 inch eyepieces makes life much easier for me, it means I have less set up time, I carry both the A640 and the FZ50 already attached to there respective eyepieces, its a matter of slipping them in place as the occasion arises. I was considering buying the 42mm, but I think that the two eyepieces and cameras along with the Barlow will cover most of what I require.
Image2 shows some static shots, normal and 2X Barlow.
Image3 some quick shots. All shots around 11 meters.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 286
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 187
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
ERNIE, since you have an A640 you must also have the software called "Photoimpressions 5". Use it to reverse the mirror images,shown in fig.2, by employing the tool icon that is forth from the right. This is displayed in the "Enhance" mode. Good info on the new eyepiece even though I can't use it with my Nikon 82ED with its dedicated eyepieces.

Ernie,

This EP looks like a Spectronics MaxView. Is the company still in business ? Can you tell us where you got it ?

By the way, there is a 2" Maxview on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250182430483&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

Regards
Jules

Jules I must say it looks very much like it, as it comes from China I would say it is most likely a good copy with maybe some additions, I could not see any thumbnail for adjustment on the Maxview, but it could be hidden from view. I bought it here in Australia, itś made by GSO. Tuxan, I know of that software but prefer tp use Photoshop, I just forgot to flip those two images did the two before. Thanks Ernie

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Ernie.

I did some research on the Web about GSO and it seems they make quite good EPs. They also manufacture for Meade and Celestron, so the Scopetronics EPs may be made by them - just a guess.

I found this article that explains EPs. Recommended reading. It gives good comments about GSO.
http://www.spacegazer.com/eyepiece-basics-g.asp

Thanks for the info Ernie.

I did some research on the Web about GSO and it seems they make quite good EPs. They also manufacture for Meade and Celestron, so the Scopetronics EPs may be made by them - just a guess.

I found this article that explains EPs. Recommended reading. It gives good comments about GSO.
http://www.spacegazer.com/eyepiece-basics-g.asp

Thanks Jules, I read that article very interesting. These eyepieces are supposed to be the latest versions of the Superview, but as you say they could make the supertronics Maxview, or they could be a good copy. Ernie

Ernie,
Nice find. I'll look for it in Hong Kong.
I'm still trying to find a permanent solution for the G6 , but it needs a lot more than the 20 mm of ER of this eyepiece. I'm going to look at using/modifying one of the Kowas or Nikons.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back