• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

14 short-toed eagles shot on Malta (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
I dont know if this has already been picked up. Had a wonderful week observing two of these birds last month as they hunted over and around our house in Western Crete. Lucky ones which bypassed Malta. These birds were on the brink but conservation has helped to keep levels stable until now ?
See website for more details..http://www.birdlifemalta.org/
ColD

Contact your Euro MP . Do a search on this SITE and sign the various petitions posted by David Conlin . Unfortunately you will be amongst the few who can be bothered, one of his petitions got only 1000 signatures though it does not help with this site not having a subforum for such campaigns. A search for DAVID CONLIN should give the desired results,sign them all please.

Hi,

You are right it is totally disgraceful that Malta totally ignore the EU and I myself am involved in trying to stop the mass slaughter of all birds by the Maltese. We did have a petition on BF run by Proact. Details can now be found at:-

http://www.proact-campaigns.net/malta/stop_the_slaughter.html

Don't worry you don't have to join the organisation.

Sorry I should have posted details sooner but they are all so depressing, a young Osprey was also shot this week over the sea unfortunately for the hunters there was a military exercise in the area at the time and the bird was rescued from drowning by the Marines. Soldiers chased the hunters who unfortunately got away and could not therefore be identified.

The Osprey is being cared for and will be returned to the wild when it is well enough, I pray it doesn't return via Malta to be shot again.

The murderers (hunters) seem to run Malta not the government, my personal opinion only.

More details of their barbaric acts can be found on the Times of Malta website.

Ann

I agree with you Ann, we went on holiday to Malta last year and I was amazed and shocked at how much trapping and shooting was going on. Most people on holiday were oblivious to it as they don't wander far from the hotel. Malta relies heavily on tourism, so the more bad publicity they get the better. If people start voting with there feet it should have some effect, wild horses won't drag me back there.
good luck with your campaign.
Geoff

gmorgan said:
I agree with you Ann, we went on holiday to Malta last year and I was amazed and shocked at how much trapping and shooting was going on. Most people on holiday were oblivious to it as they don't wander far from the hotel. Malta relies heavily on tourism, so the more bad publicity they get the better. If people start voting with there feet it should have some effect, wild horses won't drag me back there.
Geoff

I agree, the only think the barbarians will understand is a pain in the pocket, be that the loss of the tourist Euro or sanctions from the EU.

Unfortunately I don't think our community carries enough weight but remember we are all voters so get writing to your MP, MEP, the PM, the Maltese ambassy or anyone with any influence.

My wife was born on Malta and I would love to take my family there (and there are good surviving birds) but I won't go near the place until this stops. :C

gmorgan said:
I agree with you Ann , we went on holiday to Malta last year and I was amazed and shocked at how much trapping and shooting was going on. Most people on holiday were oblivious to it as they don't wander far from the hotel. Malta relies heavily on tourism, so the more bad publicity they get the better. If people start voting with there feet it should have some effect, wild horses won't drag me back there.
Geoff

I agree with you completely, I went there about five years ago, not knowing about the bird shooters, and was shocked. There are the remains of an ancient stone settlement there, older than Stonehenge, an important archeological site, and the approach to it is shocking. (We're interested in the ancient civilization so we went.) There are so called hunters there on what is an isolated cliff edge with decoy and real songbirds in cages, hoping to attract birds of prey with their song, then they shoot them. It is very political and the people who collect bird carcasses for their collections, so called hunters, have the government in their thrall it seems. Apparantly the Maltese Government wanted to attract more visitors to this ancient and interesting site and remove the people who shoot the birds because it looks so bad. There were big protests by the shooters and it seems the government has lost and the shooters have won. I won't go there again :C :storm:

Thank You All,

If I posted every email I get giving details of the latest killing and how the murderers get away with it I could fill a forum but you would all be as depressed as I am.

All we can do is keep writing to Commissioner Dimas as on David Conlin's site Proact that I gave above. The EU are talking of large fines being made but no date given and if they are, will they be paid, I doubt it. The rest of us EU taxpayers will pay. The murderers say they will not stop the slaughter and seem to be getting away with it. Shooting goes on all year round and they complain there are less birds to shoot.

Sorry folk it is all beyond me, it is so barbaric we are going back centuries everyone should be appreciating the beauty of birds flying free not corpses often left to rot in the sea. I wish those soldiers had caught the men who shot the Osprey but the last ones who were caught and prosecuted were not charged but given their guns and speedboats back.

Ann :-C :flyaway:

You can also find your local MPs , Euro MPs etc by sticking your post code into
http://www.writetothem.com/
I've found some MPs aren't fond of these types of web sites (I've had moans off them in the past) but it can get a letter to them quickly.

One thing I would like to find is a link to a web page that has clear, obvious text and pictures showing exactly the problem, that can be sent to people like MPs, who probably won’t bother reading much.. or searching through web pages.
No disrespect at all to the webs sites given above but you have to look around quite a bit to find relevant information and images in them.

stu

Don't be to quick to decry Euro MPS Kilroy-Silk has already tabled a question on these matters and there is only so much they can do. It is a great shame the majority of people who use this and other sites cant even be arsed to click their mouse a few times to swell the number of names on the various petitions, if the so called birdwatchers dont care enough to do this it will seem very unimportant to others.

as ive said before, malta gets HUGE numbers of subsaharan african immigrants comming ashore from libya/tunisia, and malta is constantly trying to get the EU to foot the bill for their room and board while their in malta and then take them off their hands after a set time period. all the EU has to do is say "we wont give you another cent nor will we take these people off your hands until you stop the slaughter of birds" im sure the maltese would bring the hammer down on the shooters then.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back