Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Macro conversion

Old Sunday 10th July 2016, 17:42   #1
Jungle

Macro conversion

Hi all,

I have been seriously considering getting a macro lens for my nikon d7100, but have found recently that there is an attachment called a Raynox dcr 150 or 250 that would go onto the end of my current lens and work well for this purpose, incidentally my current lenses are nikon 35mm f1.8 dx and tamron 70-300 vc.

Does anyone have any experience with the Raynox lenses, especially using a setup similar to mine?

Many Thanks,
George.
Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 22:33   #2
stevo

I've used raynox in the past and found them to be poor quality,have a look out for a tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.They can be picked up fairly cheap used.

Cheers.

Steve.
Old Tuesday 20th September 2016, 14:22   #3
nikonmike

Just seen this thread so i thought i would add this link for a bit of balance.

Raynox results

https://www.flickr.com/groups/596888...h/29545311202/
Old Wednesday 21st September 2016, 10:35   #4
iveljay

Not got one but they look good value for money at 45 for the 150 on Amazon and published results look good. Having used something similar in the long past, they tend to be better on longer focal lengths than shorter and the optical design of the lens can have similar implications, the most common problem, from memory, being vignetting on shorter focal lengths or small apertures on certain lenses, and my ability to keep everything steady.

If you Google 'raynox dcr-150 tamron 70-300' without the quotes, you will find a lot of people who have tried a similarish set up.

In the end I took the route of dedicated macro lenses, but they tend to cost somewhat more. (I just love the in camera focus stacking on the E-M1)

This article seems to be written by someone who seems to like them, though my experiences of stacking multiple attachments on the front of a lens are less positive than his.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

Last edited by iveljay : Wednesday 21st September 2016 at 10:42.
Old Thursday 6th October 2016, 20:19   #5
walwyn
Here today, gone tomorrow

Dedicated macrto lens are fine when you can control all the aspects of the shoot. When you are chasing an insect up and down a blade of grass in a breeze. Its all down to technique.

Some raynox images:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1392928375_8012a8018b_o.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	600918  Click image for larger version

Name:	1387316317_88b71cd8c1_o.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	600919  Click image for larger version

Name:	14858578317_c01d991a26_o.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	600920  Click image for larger version

Name:	470220191_b53b7edeb8_o.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	600924  
Old Monday 13th February 2017, 21:20   #6
squaredoch

Have you thought about reversing rings?
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 17:14   #7
iveljay

SRB Photographic still churn them out for about 12-50, unless you use Canon when there is an auto version for 100 as well as the basic model being available.

Good article here:
https://digital-photography-school.c...o-photography/

Must admit the last time I tried it was about 50 years ago when it was quite fashionable, but it worked for folks who wrote articles in photo magazines. At the magnifications I was working at it didn't show any great improvement over standard extension rings, probably because of the symetrical design of the lens I was using (or possibly my bad technique). It didn't cost me anything as I tended to fabricate my own mounts from scrap lenses (which cost next to nothing) etc. back then. I was using the reversed lens with extension tubes or a cheap manual macro bellows (which I bought).

Remember that you really need a lens that has a manual aperture control.

The one thing this article doesn't say is why you would want to reverse a lens. Normal lenses are designed to photograph objects at a distance that is relatively a long way away compared to the distance between the lens and the sensor. If you get closer than the lens is designed for you may well get abberations creeping in, by reversing the lens you can in theory restore the performance as the subject is closer to the lens than the sensor. As lenses all have different designs results are not predictable.

All in all it was an interesting exercise, but for me it wasn't worth the hassle.

Last edited by iveljay : Friday 17th February 2017 at 22:58.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: