• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding the Moorlands of North Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Mick Sway

United Kingdom
It looks like the previous thread Birding in the Staffordshire Moorlands has been abandoned, presumably in preference to Facebook or the like.
Anyway I'll kick this off just in case anyone feels they'd like to support it.
8 December 2018
Biddulph Grange Country Country Park

the lake held 12 gooseander this morning.
Also a good place for typical woodland birds like : nuthatch, common tits, jay, buzzard, kestrel , grey heron and finches.
Black headed gulls and mallard common in winter.
Contributions welcome.

14 January 2019 Knypersley Pool

Great spot and great wilderness.

Are there are roosting Hen Harriers at the traditional spot this year?
- So sorry I can't answer this for you as I'm a bit restricted where I can get to.

14 January 2019 Knypersley Pool
As reported by Mrs S

Gooseander 14
Tufted Duck 1
Lesser Black Backed Gull 1
Common buzzard 1
Cormorant 1
Jay 1

+ good numbers of :
Common water fowl:
mallard, coot and moorhen
+
common woodland birds:
nuthatch, coal tit, great and blue tits

23 January 2019 - Knypersley Pool

23 January 2019 Knypersley Pool
As reported by Mrs S

Gooseander 2
Tufted Duck 6
Jay 1
Crested grebe - 2 displaying at dam end

+ good numbers of :
Common water fowl:
mallard, coot and moorhen
+
common woodland birds:
nuthatch, treecreeper, coal tit, great and blue tits
+
black headed gull roost

Kestrel - Bemersley

Was up on the moors a couple of weeks ago. No harriers at the usual site but nice views of a Barn Owl. It showed for nearly half an hour......then two togs turned up and got too close and the bird flew off.

It looks like the previous thread Birding in the Staffordshire Moorlands has been abandoned, presumably in preference to Facebook or the like.
Anyway I'll kick this off just in case anyone feels they'd like to support it.
8 December 2018
Biddulph Grange Country Country Park

the lake held 12 gooseander this morning.
Also a good place for typical woodland birds like : nuthatch, common tits, jay, buzzard, kestrel , grey heron and finches.
Black headed gulls and mallard common in winter.
Contributions welcome.
Hi Mick - just joined this forum and spotted your post. I’d like to support your thread if it’s still going. I live in the Rudyard area and do most of my birding around the Roaches, Axe Moor and moorland in between.

Hi Mick - just joined this forum and spotted your post. I’d like to support your thread if it’s still going. I live in the Rudyard area and do most of my birding around the Roaches, Axe Moor and moorland in between.
Hi there . sadly I think most of the interest is now on Facebook. However in case you are unaware, this is a good site for info, though it covers all of Staffordshire.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back