Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Film clip of Sprawk display N.East London.

Old Thursday 31st January 2019, 20:01   #1
KenM

Film clip of Sprawk display N.East London.

FWIW I Took this film clip on 28th Jan showing Sprawk display, having tried numerous times unsuccessfully in the past, due to not being able to see the ''Sprawks for the trees''. For once, I had an ''un-interrupted'' view lasting 1m.28 sec. and it occurred to me, that others may not have seen this display before, hence the showing. I might add that they can be even more spectacular, producing multiple ''rollercoasters'' during the sequence. Although perhaps not up to David Attenborough's Planet Earth standards....possibly better than a ''poke in the eye with a sharp stick''

Cheers

https://youtu.be/okdkF8ayL0A
Old Thursday 31st January 2019, 20:59   #2
Cahunter805

Awesome video
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 23:00   #3
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahunter805 View Post
Awesome video
Thanks Cahunter.
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 16:14   #4
Britseye

Didn't realise they started so early in the year, Ken. I'm not infrequently surprised by how much supposed 'spring' breeding behaviour occurs in Jan/Feb. Duck displays are perhaps the most obvious one..but I see, for example, on the Cornish birding website, several Dippers were in song yesterday. I haven't heard Dipper singing for twenty-plus years despite a few half-attempts in recent years (last one I heard was in Oct or Nov somewhere). For my part, I've got Blackcaps and Goldcrests singing in my garden on St Agnes this past week, despite 40 mph cold northerly winds and temperatures around 6 degrees before wind-chill. One of the former was singing in torrential hail during the week!
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 17:56   #5
KenM

This might come as a surprise Graham...it certainly was for me on Dec.27th just gone. I had continuous display from 8-8.15 am by both birds with multiple dives and “roller-coasters”, it was a sunny morning, although I have witnessed shorter displays on dull overcast days.
I can add, that a pair of Magpies have been nestbuilding in my neighbour’s grdn. since last week! Seems early to me, but then I’ve never previously kept records of these events.
Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 15:23   #6
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Didn't realise they started so early in the year, Ken. I'm not infrequently surprised by how much supposed 'spring' breeding behaviour occurs in Jan/Feb. Duck displays are perhaps the most obvious one..but I see, for example, on the Cornish birding website, several Dippers were in song yesterday. I haven't heard Dipper singing for twenty-plus years despite a few half-attempts in recent years (last one I heard was in Oct or Nov somewhere). For my part, I've got Blackcaps and Goldcrests singing in my garden on St Agnes this past week, despite 40 mph cold northerly winds and temperatures around 6 degrees before wind-chill. One of the former was singing in torrential hail during the week!
I had Dunnocks singing outside my front window in Nottingham last week.
Old Monday 4th February 2019, 22:22   #7
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I had Dunnocks singing outside my front window in Nottingham last week.
I tend to think I've got a handle on the song periods of most of our common stuff, but come to think of it, I'd have to look up Dunnock in BWP. My guess is they can sing at more or less any time of year, given a decent enough day - except for the usual late summer silence common to the majority of species. Tremendous Song Thrush chorus building on St Agnes past 48 hours as temperatures return to double figures.
Old Wednesday 6th February 2019, 10:52   #8
malkrum

Thanks for the vid, KenM!
Old Wednesday 6th February 2019, 12:42   #9
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkrum View Post
Thanks for the vid, KenM!
Thanks malkrum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: