Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cambridgeshire Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 13:12   #851
Matthebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB77 View Post
Thanks for the update on the situation with Flickr.

WhatsApp is basically a platform for free text messages. It works really well as a platform for group messaging too, including sending photos for free as well(subject to phone connection and data etc). We have just under 100 of the most active Cambs birders now on the group, and more people are joining each day. You simply need a Smart phone (iPhone, Samsung etc) to host the WhatsApp app. I'll show you when I see you next.
Mark
Flickr - update for those interested in photography or use a long lens ...

I have set up a new account without Yahoo which is a relief!
I will now be able resume posting links to photos of interesting birds at Grafham or ‘Huntingdonshire’.
In time I will re-post a selection of the older Grafham rarities in full resolution. Ideally viewed on a high quality monitor.

Regarding the WhatsApp - are you able to moderate ie delete the dog!
Old Saturday 26th January 2019, 20:55   #852
Matthebirder

Finally managed a day watching Cranes in Cambs near Manea; at least 35 seen together but possibly up to 44. Best observed from Day's Lode Road where the light is very good for photography. Also a Peregrine hanging around. I'm sure I saw a Sociable plover around here once a long time ago but no idea where....
A few Crane photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699...h/39920901733/
Old Monday 28th January 2019, 11:23   #853
GWB77
Grafham Water Birder

The RSPB have released the following;

"More observers are now trying to see the flock of cranes on there arable feeding grounds, which is understandable given how attractive they are. However, we are already getting concerning feedback from the farmer where the cranes feed and local residents (who have already received there first rudeness from a birdwatcher, which is totally unacceptable and shows a complete lack of awareness of there surroundings).

These birds rely on the goodwill of the farming community now and even more so in the future as the population continues to expand.

This is a request to refrain from trying see the birds away from the Ouse and Nene Washes. They are a common and regular sight now, still exciting, but still in need of sensitivity around observing and reporting.

Also the nesting season is almost upon us, so please do not report pairs (or single adults!) of this species!"

Sadly, so far this request has been ignored by the news service providers, who continue to report these birds. Lets hope that the birds welfare starts to take preference soon.
Old Monday 28th January 2019, 13:07   #854
Matthebirder

Interesting to read this; maybe they need to speak to the news providers?
The only issues I observed were local dog walkers disturbing the cranes and swans ; should signs be erected in these areas like they do in Australia at wader roosts with a fine if ignored. Having remained in the car virtually all day all photos were taken carefully to avoid any disturbance.
Old Monday 28th January 2019, 14:53   #855
GWB77
Grafham Water Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthebirder View Post
Interesting to read this; maybe they need to speak to the news providers?
The RSPB request was posted on Cambirds group. IMHO, news providers are quick to glean news from these groups, but often chose to ignore requests like the one from the RSPB. They have their reasons (which I won't go into here).

The point I was aiming for, is that the farmers are supporting the Cranes by leaving a food source for them, and it would be a shame for this to end (dog-walking may be disturbing the Cranes, but the birds keep coming back, presumably because of the freely available food source).

My post wasn't aimed at you Matthew (I know you'd be very sensible in your approach), but more to widen the net of this RSPB request.

Last edited by GWB77 : Monday 28th January 2019 at 16:04.
Old Monday 28th January 2019, 20:06   #856
Matthebirder

I see RBA are still posting precise details so out of town folk will continue to visit the location. It is a spectacular sight and maybe one day we can have whole communities involved with the cranes as in Japan. Gatherings of 25,000 or more birds! I will add a couple of photos of such a location.
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 19:45   #857
Matthebirder

A day searching for the Great Grey Shrike at Grafham village area. Apparently seen at around 11:00 near Grafham village Hall while I was nearby. Searched the area following the report but no sign.
Drake Scaup from Plummer carpark at Grafham Water late pm. Hope reports are posted tomorrow.
Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 00:24   #858
hwinbermuda
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
A day searching for the Great Grey Shrike at Grafham village area. Apparently seen at around 11:00 near Grafham village Hall while I was nearby. Searched the area following the report but no sign.
Drake Scaup from Plummer carpark at Grafham Water late pm. Hope reports are posted tomorrow.
damn, I used to live opposite the hall, haven't seen a Great Grey Shrike for a year.
H

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 3rd February 2019, 18:50   #859
Matthebirder

Grafham water 3 Feb. 3 Bewick’s swans ; pair of Red-crested Pochard ; drake Scaup and a lone Dunlin.
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 10:22   #860
Matthebirder

Great Grey Shrike: Grafham Village -Ellington Hill bridleway crossing 08:15 9 Feb
Finally caught up with it today
It was in the roadside hedge just north of the bridleways on the east side out of the wind. Soon lost it and it may have headed east along the bridleway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	686805  

Last edited by Matthebirder : Saturday 9th February 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Record shot replaced
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 21:44   #861
Matthebirder

Grafham water 9 Feb ; still 3 Bewick’s Swans in Dudney Creek and a Drake Scaup off Plummer carpark
Old Sunday 24th February 2019, 21:19   #862
Matthebirder

Grafham Water 24 Feb: finally, close views of the juvenile Caspian Gull and it does look like the Sept 2018 individual that I photographed very closely eating a fish. Comparison here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699...57703632408062
More of the gull from today here including the interesting male hybrid Tufted x Red-crested Pochard https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699...7705544150001/ &
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699...7705544150001/

Still two female Scaup and the Drake Scaup yesterday . Also a Common Sandpiper on the 23 Feb.

All the old Grafham photos should be back soon.......
Old Tuesday 26th February 2019, 21:19   #863
Matthebirder

Grafham Water Caspian Gull - additional video
https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699...7703632408062/

Sept 2018 https://www.flickr.com/photos/167699...7703632408062/

Last edited by Matthebirder : Tuesday 26th February 2019 at 22:14.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 08:42   #864
Matthebirder

Grafham hybrid duck? Very like this bird in Yorkshire two years ago. Maybe the same bird?
http://birdhybrids.blogspot.com/2014...-duck.html?m=1
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 09:17   #865
GWB77
Grafham Water Birder

Quote:
Grafham hybrid duck? Very like this bird in Yorkshire two years ago. Maybe the same bird?
http://birdhybrids.blogspot.com/2014...-duck.html?m=1
Hi Matt, when I posted photos of the current bird on Twitter last week, a few people linked photos to other birds currently present at other sites in the country, so it seems there a few examples of this hybrid in the UK at the moment.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 13:11   #866
Matthebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB77 View Post
Hi Matt, when I posted photos of the current bird on Twitter last week, a few people linked photos to other birds currently present at other sites in the country, so it seems there a few examples of this hybrid in the UK at the moment.
Thanks; in 40 odd years reservior birding I can’t remember coming across this precise hybrid; but RCP’s have always been present. Interesting to know if its brothers are still present as this one clearly has only recently arrived at Grafham I guess.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 16:31   #867
GWB77
Grafham Water Birder

The Pontefract bird you linked for 2014 was still present at the same time as Grafham Water bird;

https://twitter.com/flipinsheffield/...70986453667841

Given the lower density of RCP's in UK (compared to Pochard, Tufted Duck, Scaup etc), I guess it will always be a rarer combination. Also the others mention are all obviously Aythya's, and I wonder if this pairing is less likely to make it too adulthood (with RCP being from the genus Netta )
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 19:12   #868
mr.p
not of this world

Quote:
Thanks; in 40 odd years reservior birding I can’t remember coming across this precise hybrid; but RCP’s have always been present. Interesting to know if its brothers are still present as this one clearly has only recently arrived at Grafham I guess.
Hardly fresh in - first seen here in eclipse last July as per Cambirds Mail group, and seen a number of times since
Old Thursday 28th February 2019, 13:25   #869
Matthebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.p View Post
Hardly fresh in - first seen here in eclipse last July as per Cambirds Mail group, and seen a number of times since
Thanks; did you manage any eclipse shots?
Old Saturday 9th March 2019, 21:29   #870
Matthebirder

Grafham Water 9 March ; best birds, the two Avocets in the lagoons, plus a Green Sandpiper. A lone Dunlin on the dam and the adult Caspian Gull distantly from Dudney hide that occasionally flew near enough for some photos.
Old Sunday 10th March 2019, 20:42   #871
Matthebirder

Grafham Water 10 Mar; male and female Scaup off Plummer carpark in very rough conditions. Three Dunlin around the only other birds of note.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 15:31   #872
Matthebirder

Grafham water 17 Mar: male and female Scaup still present. Also the presumed hybrid Red-crested Pochard x Tufted Duck male from Plummer car park.
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 13:03   #873
Matthebirder

Grafham water - scarce grebes ?
All winter I’ve been looking at the grebes and finding none! Now reports of both Slav and BnG consecutive days in the same place on RBA pager.
Do we really have both present? I can’t get there until Saturday unfortunately so hope someone can check?
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 13:59   #874
GWB77
Grafham Water Birder

Colin Addington reported Slav Grebe yesterday and said it was in partial summer plumage. Ian Dawson has seen Black-necked Grebe this afternoon and states "in almost full summer plumage". I've not been able to get there either, but mid-March is traditionally a good time for Grebes to arrive at the reservoir.
Old Tuesday 19th March 2019, 20:13   #875
Matthebirder

Thanks for background information.; will have a look on Saturday.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: