Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in Hong kong?

Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 10:49   #1
Mattias Ullman

Birding in Hong kong?

Hi!
Any birders from Hong kong here? Me and a friend will go to Hong kong for bird watching in early April. Main interest is waders (and Mai Po), but also possible Siberian passerines etc. For photography (and the light), is Mai Po generally best in the morning or in the afternoon? Are most of the hides facing the same direction? Will I find both calidris waders and the more long-legged waders from the same hide, or from different hides? (We will check the time tables for the tide of course)

Is Hong kong wetland park Worth a visit? (We will be staying very close to this site, thats why I am asking). Or is it better to concentrate on Mai Po, Long valley, Po Toi Island?
Main interests are: waders, shrikes, warblers, pipits, buntings and oriental honey buzzard.

Greatful for any help!
/ Mattias, Sweden
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 15:49   #2
andyadcock

Hi Mattias,
there are a few HK birders here but wanted to make you aware that you can't just turn up at Mai Po or at least you couldn't. When I went about ten years ago, You have / had to apply and show membership of a conservation group, I used my, membership of the Oriental Bird Club which was accepted.
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 17:21   #3
Mattias Ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Hi Mattias,
there are a few HK birders here but wanted to make you aware that you can't just turn up at Mai Po or at least you couldn't. When I went about ten years ago, You have / had to apply and show membership of a conservation group, I used my, membership of the Oriental Bird Club which was accepted.
Thx Andy!
Our permits etc have been arranged at Mai Po. We will go there at least 3-4 Days I guess (depending on how many other good sites there are in the area).
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 21:58   #4
Paul Chapman

Pretty active on ebird with hotspots, up-to-date checklists, etc:-

https://ebird.org/region/HK?yr=all

https://ebird.org/region/HK/hotspots

https://ebird.org/region/HK/activity

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2274752?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 19:17   #5
andyadcock

I was pretty lucky during my visit, I had an Eastern Imperial Eagle soaring overhead and a Bonelli's Eagle perched in a bush at the same time, couldn't decide which way to look as both were ticks at the time.
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 21:13   #6
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I was pretty lucky during my visit, I had an Eastern Imperial Eagle soaring overhead and a Bonelli's Eagle perched in a bush at the same time, couldn't decide which way to look as both were ticks at the time.
Since we're reminiscing over Mai Po, I can't resist revisiting this ...
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=959

and in case this is useful: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=956

Last edited by Larry Sweetland : Thursday 14th February 2019 at 21:39.
Old Thursday 14th February 2019, 21:55   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sweetland View Post
Since we're reminiscing over Mai Po, I can't resist revisiting this ...
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=959

and in case this is useful: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=956
Very nice Larry, oddly, our group found a Philippine Duck in Taiwan in 2011.
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 06:34   #8
HK Twitcher

Mattis

The best location for waders is the boardwalk which is tide dependant. You need at least a 1.9m high tide to get good views. Make sure your permits cover access to the boardwalk. It takes about 30mins to walk from the reception centre to the gate and then another 10mins to get to the hides. There are three hides the best one in the morning is the "New hide" which is the one furthest from the gate and is also closest to the shoreline so a 1.9m tide is just about right.
The other two are closer to the mangroves and a tide of over 2m is required. The light is better in the afternoon for these hides.
Birding the boardwalk is good on both the rising and falling tides

The hides are often full of photographers and so I would advise getting to them a couple of hours before the high tide.
If the tide is above 2.3m then the mudflats are completely covered with water and the birds move onto the reserve. There are a number of hides on the reserve.

As for other sites its been a very warm winter and Thrushes and Chats have been scarce. TPK can be good and is easy to get to. Po Toi is an offshore island and its a little harder to get to as the ferries are very limited. Its mainly a migration hotspot.
Long Valley is close to Mai Po and access is easy

Check out Dave's site for access details

https://www.birdinghongkong.com/

Regards

Graham
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 08:43   #9
Mattias Ullman

Thank you Graham! Some very useful information here! I have visited (thoroughly!) the birdinghongkong-site and found lots of useful information there as well!

The site TPK (that you mention), is this the same as: TAI PO KAU ?

When planning a trip to Po Toi, which weather is usually associated with the most birds there? Rain or fog during night, southerly winds? Or is it just very hard to predict a good day there?

Thanks again for the information on the light at the hides/ morning and afternoon! We will visit Mai Po a few times for sure!
/ Mattias
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 15:06   #10
Mattias Ullman

By the way, which app or web site is the best one to check the tide in Hong kong?
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 02:29   #11
HK Twitcher

Mattis

The Hong Kong Observatory web side is best for the tides check the tide for Tsim Bei Tsui see link. It has predicted and real time.

https://www.hko.gov.hk/tide/predtide.htm?s=TBT

With regards Po Toi easterly winds are best its a bit unpredictable. You can go and see nothing or you can go and have a good day.
Yes TPK is Tai Po Kau it can be good for spring Flycatchers but is a large area of woodland so there is a lot to cover

Depending on where your staying a recent site is Ho Man Tin which is an area of trees on a hill in the centre of Kowloon. It has a very good record recently for good passage migrates and is much easier to cover.

I have a map of the best areas I will try and find it.

What dates are you in HK

Graham
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 21:16   #12
Mattias Ullman

Thx again Graham! We will be in HK April 4- 12.
Old Monday 11th March 2019, 18:32   #13
Mattias Ullman

A totally different question! Is there a good camera store in Hong kong who sells a lot of Canon cameras and Canon lenses? And if so, how are the prices compared to the European market?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: