Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon P5000 - first impressions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 21st April 2007, 21:15   #51
john-henry
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: cornwall
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
Just a couple of examples from today using P5000 the full size files obviously have better details

Dougie
Great pics Dougie, exposure on the whites spot on.

Regards

John
john-henry is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st April 2007, 21:38   #52
john-henry
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: cornwall
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs
What are my options when it comes to adapters for the P5000 when used with a Kowa TSN-821 32xW?
I've been on my first digiscoping trip today - great fun, but less than impressive pictures due to handheld shots.
I wonder if the Kowa TSN-DA1 adapter with an adapter ring (28mm?) is my only option.

Christian
Christian, there is an adapter for the P5000 - UR-E20 - that screws into the base of the lens and has a 28mm female thread at the other end, you might be able to work away from here with a tube-type adapter, but, and I'm not sure on this, I tried the adapter today just holding it up to the scope eyepiece and it didn't allow the camera lens to come close enough to the eyepiece, it gave more vignetting than I get by having the lens set up at about 1mm away from the eyepiece when the camera is at full zoom.
One thing to remember is the camera zoom extends slightly more at full zoom than minimum zoom so you need to take this into account when setting it up.

Alternatives are the universal types and/or swing-out types, have a look through the digiscoping adapters forum an it might give you some ideas.

Regards

John
john-henry is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 22:24   #53
Feathered one
Registered User
 
Feathered one's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ferndown Dorset
Posts: 379
I have had several hours digiscoping with the P5000 over the weekend, and there are now 20 pictures posted on our web page.

I will be adding my thoughts on the P5000 in this thread soon, just need to do a few more experimental shots.

Here is the link to the pictures........http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanado...00pictures.htm

Malc
Feathered one is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 22:31   #54
cbs
Christian
 
cbs's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-henry
Christian, there is an adapter for the P5000 - UR-E20 - that screws into the base of the lens and has a 28mm female thread at the other end, you might be able to work away from here with a tube-type adapter, but, and I'm not sure on this, I tried the adapter today just holding it up to the scope eyepiece and it didn't allow the camera lens to come close enough to the eyepiece, it gave more vignetting than I get by having the lens set up at about 1mm away from the eyepiece when the camera is at full zoom.
One thing to remember is the camera zoom extends slightly more at full zoom than minimum zoom so you need to take this into account when setting it up.

Alternatives are the universal types and/or swing-out types, have a look through the digiscoping adapters forum an it might give you some ideas.

Regards

John

John

Thanks for your answer. I'll look through the adapters forum and do a bit of experimenting.

Christian
cbs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 22:33   #55
cbs
Christian
 
cbs's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered one
I have had several hours digiscoping with the P5000 over the weekend, and there are now 20 pictures posted on our web page.

I will be adding my thoughts on the P5000 in this thread soon, just need to do a few more experimental shots.

Here is the link to the pictures........http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanado...00pictures.htm

Malc
Nice shots

Christian
cbs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 09:28   #56
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,176
I just had a look at a P5000 in the Nikon service center. It does have a 10 and 3 second Self-timer which wasn't clear on DPReview. The screen looks very good too , although I didn't take it out in the sun. I didn't like the look of the menu too much but then I'm used to buttons for changing settings on the 8400. Photos taken indoors looked good on the screen. Macro looks good and there is a "green zone" which may work well for digiscoping , although it's a bit short. No budget to buy one as getting my 8400 and 4500 repaired. Neil.
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 17:22   #57
Baron Birder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beckenham
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-henry View Post
I hope not Jaff, the F30 is a great camera for low light situations and, I think, the P5000 will be a better camera for better weather, each has its own merits and playing one off against the other helps no-one.

Regards

John
I too am battling to decide between the F30 and the P5000.

I have read with interest and delight the whole thread to date. My dliemma is that I will be using the camera with an old non HD swarovski 80AT which cleraly doesnt let in as much light as the EDs and HDS. If you were to buy one now with my set up would you pump for the F30 with its better low light levels to help the non HD or the P5000 with all that you and others have said about it particularly its Image stablilsing.

All opinions much appreciated to hep my over this dilemma and replace my cp4500 soon.
Baron Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 19:07   #58
Feathered one
Registered User
 
Feathered one's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ferndown Dorset
Posts: 379
My thoughts would be go for the F30, very cheap now, and I presume it won't be available for much longer. Not sure what adaptor you have if any, this may influence your choice?
Wait to hear what John H suggests, I am sure he will see your posting.

Malc
Feathered one is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 20:41   #59
border reiver
John
 
border reiver's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Motherwell
Posts: 100
Malc

Very impressive results after such a short time with the camera.
I'll look forward to seeing some more of your pics.

John
border reiver is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 21:35   #60
john-henry
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: cornwall
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Birder View Post
I too am battling to decide between the F30 and the P5000.

I have read with interest and delight the whole thread to date. My dliemma is that I will be using the camera with an old non HD swarovski 80AT which cleraly doesnt let in as much light as the EDs and HDS. If you were to buy one now with my set up would you pump for the F30 with its better low light levels to help the non HD or the P5000 with all that you and others have said about it particularly its Image stablilsing.

All opinions much appreciated to hep my over this dilemma and replace my cp4500 soon.
It's a really difficult choice, if you're used to the 4500 you'll take to the P5000 like a duck to water, especially with its great improvements on the screen, general layout, menus etc. I'm not sure the VR is a great help, it's difficult to know if it works well or not, I still get shakey shots at good shutter speeds so it's not a cure all. Image quality is great, it has a better dynamic range in good sunlight than the F30 (doesn't blow the highlights so quickly) and not so much in the way of chromatic aberrations, also I particularly like the colours it produces - much more natural looking than the F30. It does produce noise, unlike the F30, but nothing that can't be removed with software quite easily.
The F30 on the other hand is unbeatable for low light use, is much faster in focussing and shooting and as you know can be used at higher ISO's with good results.
If you lived where the conditions were dull more often than sunny, or you intend to hand-hold the camera, I'd say the F30 was the one to go for but if you want that little bit better quality go for the P5000.

I expect all this doesn't really help you in your choice, just give you more to think about, so the only realistic answer is to order one or the other via internet shopping and if you don't like it or want to try the other one send it back within 7 days and get a refund under your Distant Shopping Rights - (Amazon, and several others I've used, have refunded with no problem) - all it will cost you is the return postage, about £6 or £7.

Regards

John
john-henry is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 22:58   #61
Baron Birder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beckenham
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-henry View Post
It's a really difficult choice, if you're used to the 4500 you'll take to the P5000 like a duck to water, especially with its great improvements on the screen, general layout, menus etc. I'm not sure the VR is a great help, it's difficult to know if it works well or not, I still get shakey shots at good shutter speeds so it's not a cure all. Image quality is great, it has a better dynamic range in good sunlight than the F30 (doesn't blow the highlights so quickly) and not so much in the way of chromatic aberrations, also I particularly like the colours it produces - much more natural looking than the F30. It does produce noise, unlike the F30, but nothing that can't be removed with software quite easily.
The F30 on the other hand is unbeatable for low light use, is much faster in focussing and shooting and as you know can be used at higher ISO's with good results.
If you lived where the conditions were dull more often than sunny, or you intend to hand-hold the camera, I'd say the F30 was the one to go for but if you want that little bit better quality go for the P5000.

I expect all this doesn't really help you in your choice, just give you more to think about, so the only realistic answer is to order one or the other via internet shopping and if you don't like it or want to try the other one send it back within 7 days and get a refund under your Distant Shopping Rights - (Amazon, and several others I've used, have refunded with no problem) - all it will cost you is the return postage, about £6 or £7.

Regards

John
Cheers for the prompt and honest response. It does and it doesnt help. I guessed when I posed the question that it might not be an easy black and white option so in some ways your response confirmed this.

Beckenham Kent has its fair share of sunshine so I guess UK weather isnt an issue and I have just ordered the srb gritum swing away adaptor so I dont intend to hand hold.

I wasnt aware of the "Distant Shopping Rights" so this may be an option
Baron Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 23:41   #62
Neil
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hong Kong (ex Sydney)
Posts: 10,176
The Fuji F30 has a 3 shot Self-timer Mode and the very useful Last Three Frames capture. You hold the shutter down to take a Continuous Series of up to 20 frames (I think from memory ) and when you see the action that has happened you release the shutter and it only stores the last 3 frames. Very nice. Neil.
Neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 26th April 2007, 11:09   #63
Baron Birder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beckenham
Posts: 607
Wil lbe using the srb gritum swing away adaptor
Baron Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th April 2007, 11:47   #64
Baron Birder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beckenham
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered one View Post
My thoughts would be go for the F30, very cheap now, and I presume it won't be available for much longer. Not sure what adaptor you have if any, this may influence your choice?
Wait to hear what John H suggests, I am sure he will see your posting.

Malc
Thanks - Any particular reason why?
By chance have just read that the F40 is out very soon !
Baron Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th April 2007, 19:33   #65
john-henry
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: cornwall
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs View Post
John

Thanks for your answer. I'll look through the adapters forum and do a bit of experimenting.

Christian
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-henry View Post
Christian, there is an adapter for the P5000 - UR-E20 - that screws into the base of the lens and has a 28mm female thread at the other end, you might be able to work away from here with a tube-type adapter, but, and I'm not sure on this, I tried the adapter today just holding it up to the scope eyepiece and it didn't allow the camera lens to come close enough to the eyepiece, it gave more vignetting than I get by having the lens set up at about 1mm away from the eyepiece when the camera is at full zoom.
One thing to remember is the camera zoom extends slightly more at full zoom than minimum zoom so you need to take this into account when setting it up.

Alternatives are the universal types and/or swing-out types, have a look through the digiscoping adapters forum an it might give you some ideas.

Regards

John
Christian,
Just had another go with the UR-E20 adapter, this time set up on my swing-out adapter instead of hand-holding it and it seems to work fine when resting on the scope eyepiece itself. I should think that it would be OK with the tube-type adapters plus the universal and swing-out types as well (although this is tongue in cheek as I haven't tried them), if it does work OK it will eliminate any chance of the lens crashing into the eyepiece.

Regards

John
john-henry is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 8th May 2007, 17:59   #66
jc122463
Registered User
 
jc122463's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts: 605
Foxfoto Adapter

Hi all,
I've just registered with birdforum but have been reading the posts for quite some time.

I'm on my way to purchase a new camera (I love my canon S80 but it's just about had it). The P5000 looks pretty good but I'm wondering if the foxfot universal adapter will work with it? Any ideas?

It's great to have a chance to talk to you all.
jc122463 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 9th May 2007, 07:37   #67
iporali
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc122463 View Post
The P5000 looks pretty good but I'm wondering if the foxfot universal adapter will work with it? Any ideas?

It's great to have a chance to talk to you all.
Welcome onboard JC,

I haven't used the Foxfoto adapter myself, but having seen its clever design I can't see any reasons, why it shouldn't work just as well as with other compacts.

Best regards,

Ilkka
iporali is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon ED82A v. Swarovski ATS65HD Sancho Nikon 28 Wednesday 2nd September 2009 18:48
Nikon P5000 buzzard12 Digiscoping cameras 71 Sunday 3rd June 2007 20:56
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Du Nok Nikon 2 Monday 9th April 2007 18:28
Nikon Sporter 8x36 Otto McDiesel Nikon 4 Friday 15th July 2005 16:33
New Zeiss Victory FL binoculars Leif Zeiss 613 Wednesday 1st December 2004 02:51

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21470690 seconds with 32 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:06.