Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon P5000

Old Sunday 6th May 2007, 15:18   #51
rka
ttbirds

Did more testing in excessive sunlight. Set EV to -0.3. Set aperture to f 4.x. The shutter speed was surprisingly slow 1/30 - 1/100 where I would have expected much higher given blazing sunlight.

The camera is very much a mixed bag. I'm going to try full manual on my next outing and force higher shutter speeds with similar aperture.
Old Sunday 6th May 2007, 17:06   #52
Feathered one

RKA

What ISO was the camera set on ?

Malc
Old Tuesday 15th May 2007, 12:16   #53
rka
ttbirds

The ISO was 100. I've done more testing and overall my fndings compared to CP990 are:

1) Better more accurate focus
2) Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture
3) More good - very good shots
4) Fewer excellent shots

If no 2) could be addressed via firmware upgrade this would be one of the best digiscoping cameras out there for someone that doesn't need to have 'perfect' pictures. For digiscoping though, I would recommend that any new buyer should seriously compare with the Fuji F31 or the Fuji F30 which may provide much better value.

For non digiscoping use, I find the camera very versatile given the range of add-on lenses available that are relatively inexpensive.

Overall I am happy with the P5000.
Old Wednesday 16th May 2007, 22:54   #54
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rka View Post
The ISO was 100. I've done more testing and overall my fndings compared to CP990 are:

1) Better more accurate focus
2) Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture
3) More good - very good shots
4) Fewer excellent shots

If no 2) could be addressed via firmware upgrade this would be one of the best digiscoping cameras out there for someone that doesn't need to have 'perfect' pictures. For digiscoping though, I would recommend that any new buyer should seriously compare with the Fuji F31 or the Fuji F30 which may provide much better value.

For non digiscoping use, I find the camera very versatile given the range of add-on lenses available that are relatively inexpensive.

Overall I am happy with the P5000.

Hey ! How can a camera have "Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture" given the same ISO value and the same target ? Shouldn't that be a mathematical formula equal for all cameras ?

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 17th May 2007, 14:22   #55
revs45
punk birder

it blows away my old P4 so in that regard the P5000 is an excellent camera, particularily when mated to a FSB-6 bracket.
Old Thursday 17th May 2007, 21:34   #56
normjackson

dpreview up for those interested :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonP5000/
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 00:44   #57
rka
ttbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGobeil View Post
Hey ! How can a camera have "Slower shutter speeds for similar aperture" given the same ISO value and the same target ? Shouldn't that be a mathematical formula equal for all cameras ?
Don't think so. In full manual, you can set aperture, shutter and ISO independently.
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 10:52   #58
Paul Hackett

Another review -

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...olPix-P5000/p1

The slow picture rate is mentioned by the reviewer, any users on this thread finding this a problem in taking the digiscoped pics, and in comparison to other camera's?

Paul
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 11:06   #59
IanF

I've been using the camera for digiscoping using the 'burst' mode - 'a series of sequential shots' is a better description - just to get a few differing poses.

The slow focus isn't a real problem in digiscoping as it's not a speedy technique.

Image quality is far superior to the CP4500 and it's less fiddly to use as you don't need a cable release.

The only issue I have with the camera is the vignetting - with the CP4500 the 20-60x zoom was ideal - but with the P5000 you really need a wider eyepiece such as the 30x.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 11:15   #60
Paul Hackett

Hi Ian

Thanks for that, you are using the zoom right? how many actual clicks of the optical zoom on the camera do you have to use before you have an unvignetted screen/pic?

Is any other user on this thread using a fixed eyepeice? if so, could i ask you the same question please?

Thanks

Paul
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 11:36   #61
IanF

Nope I'm using the 30xWA eyepiece as I couldn't zoom out the vignetting on the 20-60x. I gave the 20-60x a go the other day but binned the photos as even when zooming to reduce vignetting the shadow is still visible as well as it affecting exposure.

With the 30x you get negligible vignetting at zero camera zoom but it goes altogether at around 1/3 camera zoom - basically one zoom activation - though it's not as smooth as the CP4500. Zoom needs to exceed the macro setting for vignetting to disappear.

I'm using the Swaro ATS80HD - other scope brands with wider eyepieces would have less problems.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 11:44   #62
StuartReeves
Local rarity

In a similar vein, any comments on how the macro performance of the P5000 compares with the 4500?

Cheers,

Stuart

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 14:25   #63
revs45
punk birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hackett View Post
Another review -

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...olPix-P5000/p1

The slow picture rate is mentioned by the reviewer, any users on this thread finding this a problem in taking the digiscoped pics, and in comparison to other camera's?

Paul
i always shoot in continuous mode so the "slow rate" if you could call it that is less of an issue.
i'll say it again, really enjoying this camera.
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 14:56   #64
Paul Hackett

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Nope I'm using the 30xWA eyepiece as I couldn't zoom out the vignetting on the 20-60x. I gave the 20-60x a go the other day but binned the photos as even when zooming to reduce vignetting the shadow is still visible as well as it affecting exposure.

With the 30x you get negligible vignetting at zero camera zoom but it goes altogether at around 1/3 camera zoom - basically one zoom activation - though it's not as smooth as the CP4500. Zoom needs to exceed the macro setting for vignetting to disappear.

I'm using the Swaro ATS80HD - other scope brands with wider eyepieces would have less problems.
Thanks for that Ian, appreciate the info,

Paul
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 23:32   #65
Feathered one

Quote:
Hi Ian

Thanks for that, you are using the zoom right? how many actual clicks of the optical zoom on the camera do you have to use before you have an unvignetted screen/pic?

Is any other user on this thread using a fixed eyepeice? if so, could i ask you the same question please?

Thanks

Paul
Nikon ED82 with 30xDS eyepiece, no vignetting at all, a great camera, have not had much time to use it, but pleased with results so far.
For instance look at the pictures of the two hours I had at Pennington (Lymington) on Tuesday
http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanado...p5000pics2.htm

Malc
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 05:27   #66
revs45
punk birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered one View Post
Nikon ED82 with 30xDS eyepiece, no vignetting at all, a great camera, have not had much time to use it, but pleased with results so far.
For instance look at the pictures of the two hours I had at Pennington (Lymington) on Tuesday
http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanado...p5000pics2.htm

Malc
i'm using the same setup and i notice that it wants to vignette when i zoom out max optical but it's so minor that it's not a bother.
i'm getting used to the zoom located on the front side of camera and i really like the thumb dial on the backside.
here's my related gallery. only now getting into the swing of this camera but i'm excited by early results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/revs45/...7600205421154/
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 11:25   #67
Neil

[quote=revs45;898544]i'm using the same setup and i notice that it wants to vignette when i zoom out max optical but it's so minor that it's not a bother.
i'm getting used to the zoom located on the front side of camera and i really like the thumb dial on the backside.
here's my related gallery. only now getting into the swing of this camera but i'm excited by early results.

These images look very good. Some of the best I've seen so far from this camera. Neil.
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 22:33   #68
john-henry

Quote:
Hi Ian

Thanks

Paul
Paul,
On the Zeiss 80 with 20-60 zoom vignetting is minimal if you set the camera, at full zoom, so it is just short of touching the scope's eyepiece. It's seems to be one of those cameras that are better the closer it is to the eyepiece.
I find setting it up this way vignetting is cleared, through all the scopes' range at about 1/3rd camera zoom. Using the UR-E20 adapter vignetting is worse as it keeps the camera too far away from the eyepiece.

Regards

John

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 00:09   #69
Neil

"i'm using the same setup and i notice that it wants to vignette when i zoom out max optical but it's so minor that it's not a bother."

Most digicam lenses that I've tried do not do their best work at full zoom, both quality-wise and focus-wise (of course these two are directly related ). I suspect that at full zoom there is not enough contrast for the camera to find focus , so they do a lot more "hunting" and will take the photo anyway , even though the subject may be not in focus. Most lenses work best between 1/3 - 2/3 rds zoom so you need to find/make and adapter that allows you to use this range of the lens. The wider you can use the lens the faster the camera will find focus as it has more light and contrast. Neil.
Old Sunday 27th May 2007, 12:21   #70
Dougie

For all who are using Leica Televids and the P5000, I have started a new thread on an adaptation of the FSB-6 Bracket to fit this scope

Search Forum for:

Nikon P5000, FSB-6 Bracket, Leica Televid

Thanks Dougie
Old Saturday 2nd June 2007, 19:33   #71
Derry

just received my P5000 yesterday,, was really surprised at how small it was,, at first I thought my big hands was going to have a tough time handling the camera,, took about an hour with the camera and reading the book to start feeling comfortable,,

hooked it to the back of my TV85 scope using the Nikon UR-E20 adapter and shot a few photos in the clouds and rain in the manual mode and was pleased with the outcome,, certainly a big step up from my old 990 in size and performance,, even with the dim image the auto focus was not hunting much to gain focus,, also like the macro which is the same 1.6 inch distance the old 990 offered,, place your ear next to the camera while it is turned on,, can hear those little motors inside spinning inside,,

will also be using the timed release feature in the video mode on a couple projects,, can set it to take one photo from every 30 seconds to one hour,, then the camera will make that into a video to watch,,

would imagine a second battery will be purchased soon,, took an hour to charge the one with the camera,,

still waiting for my SRB cable release to arrive which will work fine on this camera and my Oly E500,,

so far so good,, going to be a fun week (if the rain stops and the clouds move on)

Old Sunday 3rd June 2007, 20:56   #72
g8ina
He's pining for the Fjords !

Derry, I also heard that motor noise, but Nikon told me it's normal. Even with VR turned off, it is still partially active, so it's ready for use instantly.

I'm still waiting for a 28mm adaptor, and the only use I've managed so far is handheld. Images look a bit soft, but I'm hoping thats just hand held vibration.

Non scoping use is OK though, although I have to agree with the apparent lack of sensitivity ! Like for like against the D70, I get a good 2 or more stops available on the D70 over the P5000...

I'm trying to make a cable release holder out of bits, will report back if / when successful :)

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: