• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony W300 (1 Viewer)

Hi Jim

I am currently on the Islands of the Outer Hebrides in Scotland with Stephen Ingraham having a short Digiscoping holiday after our demanding stint on our Zeiss Digiscoping Stand at BF!

First - the W300 works with the DCA so no problems in lining it up, Why? because the camera is balanced no matter what the position of the thread, so no worries

Zbirding in a NON official site and is the words of Stephen Ingraham, he apologises but workload has been hectic over the last few months, but he will endeavour to update and answer but most questions have been answered, he will update the list of suitable cameras for the DCA
Regards

Paul

Hi Paul (Hackett),

Given the position of the tripod mount thread on the camera body, would this model of camera sit perfectly ok on the SRB-Griturn Mk11 swing out adapter which I have just purchased?

Cheers,

Bill Aspin.

Hi Bill

It does fit, BUT, you would need to support it at the R/H side by some means or other, somebody on here will point out on here what you can utilise underneath it, whether you use your finger or a cable release to take the pics,

Rgds

Paul

It does work as a digiscoping camera, just got one, see attached pic, only second picture taken on the camera

Paul

Paul,
I'm just revisiting this thread. This must be one of the best "second" photos ever digiscoped.
I was originally put off the camera because of the high price. What do you think are it's main strengths now as a digiscoping camera?
Neil.

Neil

The programme setup is no greater or lesser than other cameras, i use "p"

It's reasonably quick on focussing and then focus lock,

Easy menu, quick to change ISO, exposure etc

Lens range and type is good for minimum vignetting on a decent eyepiece, (most of the Sony's are good in the 3X or 4X optical zoom)

Image quality is not bad

Sony adapter onto the telescopic lens makes it easy to connect to a digiscoping adapter

Paul

Are there any new digiscoped photos with Sony w300?

I'm looking for new camera for digiscoping, and w300 is one of the options - second is Nikon p6000, but for the price of Nikon I get almost two Sonys.

Are there any new digiscoped photos with Sony w300?

I'm looking for new camera for digiscoping, and w300 is one of the options - second is Nikon p6000, but for the price of Nikon I get almost two Sonys.

I would still recommend the P5100 over the P6000 as it's a bit more flexible for digiscoping and the specs aren't that much different to justify the higher price. Also the Canon A590IS is very good value for money.
Neil.

Thanks for the links - I decided to try the Sony and I allready ordered it. If it doesn't work then I'll go with p5100 as Neil suggested.

Now I must decide about the scope:
Kowa Prominar 883 against Swarowski ATS 80HD...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...

Thanks for the links - I decided to try the Sony and I allready ordered it. If it doesn't work then I'll go with p5100 as Neil suggested.

Now I must decide about the scope:
Kowa Prominar 883 against Swarowski ATS 80HD...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...tic...tac...

If you're buying now then go for the Kowa as it's a new model and the Swaro is a bit long in the tooth now. There is an Swaro update out soon with the new 25-50 zoom but don't expect to see it until next Spring.
Neil.

Hi,

How does the sony VAD-WF adapter attch to the camera? I use the VAD-WB with my Sony W70 and the adapter screws into the tripod mount on the camera. What is the thread size on the VAD-WF - 37mm?

Cheers,

Mark

I kind of clips on, and you then turn the piece to lock it.

As long as you remember to lock it I dont envisage a problem and I have found it to be rock solid to date.

I walked around for 2 weeks on Foula with the camera pretty much permanently attached.

MSS

Sony w300 Picture quality!!!

Big thumbs down i'm afraid. I have been using an old Nikon P5000 which is slow and a bit of a pain to use (so i decided to change it) but the picture quality leaves my recently purchaced w300 way behind (the pictures from the w300 are not bad but theres no comparison to the Nikon). I'm going back to the P5000. Sony! What a waiste of Money!!!

If you want to see what the w300 can do for quality check out Forcreeks gallery. I just received my w300 and did some simple digiscoping hand held tests and was impressed with the quality compared to my Oly C-60. I shoot with an old Kowa 821 scope and was surprised to even see an improvement in less CA. Price is about the same as the P5000 and you get 4MP more plus equivalent LCD in a beautiful titanium package. My gallery has been OK but looking forward to improving it plus bigger prints on my walls.

My sample

After purchasing the Sony w-300 I thought I'd improve my capability with a wide angle eyepiece so I bought a Kowa TSE-21WE for my Kowa 821. After a month of making my adapter I was able to test it yesterday in the field and what a joy. The camera is so fast and flexible with the new EP, just slide it on and choose between 1x and 3x, focus scope and shoot. The most surprizing thing to me was the reduceded CA on an old scope known for its CA. Here is a pic I just submitted to BF. This is the first time on the forum I've inserted a pic so if I mess up Check it out in my gallery. I love this camera.

Attachments

• 36-BF.jpg
    36-BF.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 305
Josef,

Congratulations! That is a wonderful image. I don't think one could do better with it. Time to go look at W-300's.....

After purchasing the Sony w-300 I thought I'd improve my capability with a wide angle eyepiece so I bought a Kowa TSE-21WE for my Kowa 821. After a month of making my adapter I was able to test it yesterday in the field and what a joy. The camera is so fast and flexible with the new EP, just slide it on and choose between 1x and 3x, focus scope and shoot. The most surprizing thing to me was the reduceded CA on an old scope known for its CA. Here is a pic I just submitted to BF. This is the first time on the forum I've inserted a pic so if I mess up Check it out in my gallery. I love this camera.

Very nice image Josef. You will be happy with this camera.
Neil.

I've had the W300 for a little while now and have come up with a solution...at least in my eyes for the gap created due to the tripod fitting on the camera being at the extreme left.(pic1). I purchased this bracket http://www.srb-griturn.com/cable-release-bracket-for-compact-digital-camera-angled-1215-p.asp from SRB and fitted a small rubber grommit around the bracket.(pic2). The horizontal arm of the bracket if lowered down the vertical pushes the right side of the camera down, leveling it up....If that makes sense. The 3rd pic is of a rubber lens hood 49mm bought from Jessops for a fiver which is siliconed around the lens to stop any stray light between the eyepiece and the camera lens. It works for me.

Attachments

• DSCN0368gap.jpg
    DSCN0368gap.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0365brkt.jpg
    DSCN0365brkt.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0367lens.jpg
    DSCN0367lens.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 153
Hi, Just a little off track but I have this camera for digiscoping but the battery does not appear to last very long ! A few hours and it`s dead. I have only recharged it three times now from new so I`m hoping it will improve the more it gets a recharge. has anyone else had this problem or do I have to get a spare battery ?
andy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back