Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sony W300

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 16th June 2009, 22:28   #76
macs

Gary, superb photos!
How far were you from the bird?
I also got W300 couple of weeks ago and took some handheld pics so far. Not so easy thru Nikon zoom though

Maciek
Old Wednesday 17th June 2009, 17:50   #77
5bellies

Maciek, thank-you for your kind words. The first pic was taken at about 12 meters and the second about 60, however I'm not a very good judge of distance. The second shot was taken about 9-930pm at ISO200 1/80sec so I was lucky the bird or wind didn't ruin the shot. Not wishing to spend your money in these times but I recommend you get some sort of adapter and cable release as shot quality could and probably would increase dramatically.
Old Thursday 18th June 2009, 04:51   #78
Josef

Using WA to T

Thought I'd update where I'm at with my w300. I'm now using it with a Kowa 883, 21x EP and custom adapter. When I first made the adapter I set it up with the lens almost touching the EP at full extension and was happy to see it worked but results were sporatic and to focus I'd go to full T and then withdraw to WA and shoot. seemed as though I always had a hard time focusing at WA. I've concluded at WA it is beyond the limits of the camera to compensate with this set up so decided to modify the adapter. Wearing trifocals I always focus through the monitor and my adapters always have a cable release and extend-a-view as part of the adapter. Last week end I went in the field and used only T, the attached Killdeer I submitted last Saturday was the result. It was taken in program mode with spot focus at about 30'. I'm now running tests to find the optimum distance between EP and camera lens using the cameras WA to T.

I've also learned more about the M mode and agree great results can be achieved in this mode with open aperture. One test I ran comparing M to P was interesting. I took 2 pics in each mode (WA and T) and compared results which were identical. Except for the mode the EXIF data was the same. In P the camera matched the max open aperture I had set in M. I'm not saying it will always do this but interesting. Both T pics were in focus better than the WA pics, guess I better get back to my adapterising.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	705psrBF.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	202717  
Old Friday 19th June 2009, 12:49   #79
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Had a chat with a Sony rep here in the UK earlier this week and he told me that the W300 is to be discontinued "soon". No indication of what soon is of course...

Shame as it seems to get favourable reports here :-(
Old Friday 19th June 2009, 21:47   #80
Neil-T
Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bugs.

It's great for digiscoping and general use, the macro is ok too. So get one while they are still available. Cheap at Dixons online.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th June 2009, 05:49   #81
Neil

Sony have produced some nice cameras in the W range so I'm sure the replacement will be worth having a look at. I hope they don't try and squeeze more megs into the small sensors though.
Neil.
Old Monday 22nd June 2009, 05:23   #82
Josef

Finished modifying adapter and at camera 3x have the camera between 6 and 10mm back from EP. At 1x and 2x the camera between 5 and 10mm back from EP. Tested it on Sparrows out my door and the WA is as good if not sharper then T. Attached is a crop of the original of the sparrow I just submitted to Birdforum taken at 1.7x on the camera with one sharpen in irfanview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04298crop.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	203264  
Old Monday 22nd June 2009, 08:00   #83
Neil-T
Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bugs.

Great feather detail there Josef.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th August 2009, 17:22   #84
Josef

Yes seems many of dealers are out of them, no longer available where I bought mine. Sony has been announcing many new models but seem to be going after the mass market.
The model that comes the closest is the w230, great price but no M mode and 4 instead of 3 power. MP has also dropped slightly - might be worth trying?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: