• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon P6000 (2 Viewers)

Hi all, i have the Leica apo 77 with 20-60 zoom lens. How would i fit the
p6000 onto the zoom lens please. I beleve i need the Nikon UR-E21 Adapter Ring, does this fit straight onto my lens? or is there a proper sleeve. I have a FOCUS DA1 ADAPTER from my cooolpix 4500 which has a 28mm thread on it .

Cheers

Craig

Hi all, i have the Leica apo 77 with 20-60 zoom lens. How would i fit the
p6000 onto the zoom lens please. I beleve i need the Nikon UR-E21 Adapter Ring, does this fit straight onto my lens? or is there a proper sleeve. I have a FOCUS DA1 ADAPTER from my cooolpix 4500 which has a 28mm thread on it .

Cheers

Craig

Craig,
The UR-E21 has a 43 mm thread and third party adapters have 52 mm threads. You could try a step-down ring from 43 to 28 mm if you don't want to get another adapter.
Neil.

Craig,
The UR-E21 has a 43 mm thread and third party adapters have 52 mm threads. You could try a step-down ring from 43 to 28 mm if you don't want to get another adapter.
Neil.

Thanks neil, ill try to get one of them. ( cant get a 43 -28 in uk so looks like ill have to get 2 a 43-37 and a 37-28. will this increase vinigreting?

Last edited:
Does everyone turn off the Vibration Reduction when digiscoping, if so why?

As I understand it, VR is designed to compensate for the movement of a hand-held camera. When the camera is on a tripod the characteristics of the movement are different (frequency & amplitude) so when the camera attempts to compensate it may actually introduce movement due to the mismatch of what it expects and what it can correct.

As I understand it, VR is designed to compensate for the movement of a hand-held camera. When the camera is on a tripod the characteristics of the movement are different (frequency & amplitude) so when the camera attempts to compensate it may actually introduce movement due to the mismatch of what it expects and what it can correct.

Ah brilliant thanks, now looking at the 8400, but this seems to be a pain to connect to the leica too?

Ah brilliant thanks, now looking at the 8400, but this seems to be a pain to connect to the leica too?

Well after a lot of Research, I'm sticking with the CP 4500. This has to be the friendliest digi camera still available. The only problem being the small amount of megapixels...its So flexible...

Cheers for everyones help.

Recently I have used my P6000 to capture a video of a green finch handling his food:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngStMcIMQuQ
The resolution is not so high. It shows, that the possibility of HD video may be useful sometimes.

Attached is a picture of a buzzard, not cropped, only resized. He was sitting a while in front of me.
P6000, ATS80HD, 25-50, DCB-A

Attachments

• bussard.jpg
    bussard.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 206
Recently I have used my P6000 to capture a video of a green finch handling his food: The resolution is not so high. It shows, that the possibility of HD video may be useful sometimes.

bughunter, the photo of the buzzard is a beauty and thanks for sharing your video.

I've been having fun trying out the video function of the P6000, too. It is much more forgiving of low light conditions. Also, since it is not hi-rez to start, one can use the camera zoom much more.

With the P6000 video, it appears to lock focus when it starts recording, however it doesn't always focus on the bird. It seemed to me the branch behind your green finch may have been in better focus than the bird. I have found that in these situations I can then slightly refocus my scope to bring the bird into sharper focus

Here is my latest, a White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) under the feeder in my yard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKO8HD9bySw.

The bird was very cooperative and got a decent still, too. The light was low, but the bird would hold still periodically which allowed a slower shutter speed, in this case 1/43 sec.

P6000, ATS80HD, 25 - 50x, UCA

Attachments

• White-throated_Sparrow_800w_DSCN0391.jpg
    White-throated_Sparrow_800w_DSCN0391.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Does anyone know if the P6000 is about to be replaced/updated - you know how quickly Nikon update to the next version?

I'm thinking of getting one, but a couple of camera shops I've contacted are reporting it as discontinued and are not getting anymore.

I'd hate to get it and the 7000 comes out the week after!

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the P6000 is about to be replaced/updated - you know how quickly Nikon update to the next version?

I don't know the answer to your question, but when I got mine a little over a month ago the dealer had heard nothing about a replacement or the model being discontinued. At that time the camera was still featured on the Nikon USA site.

That being said, manufacturers are always bringing out new models. Though seems to me most new advanced point and shoot cameras from many companies are featuring zoom lenses of 12x or even higher. There is no guarantee the assumed P7000 would be suitable for digiscoping.

I don't know the answer to your question, but when I got mine a little over a month ago the dealer had heard nothing about a replacement or the model being discontinued. At that time the camera was still featured on the Nikon USA site.

That being said, manufacturers are always bringing out new models. Though seems to me most new advanced point and shoot cameras from many companies are featuring zoom lenses of 12x or even higher. There is no guarantee the assumed P7000 would be suitable for digiscoping.

Cheers Bosque Bill.

Bill, Nikon are about the most conservative of camera manufacturers, and I'd be a little surprised if they were to bring out something as radical as the Panasonic TZs—it's taken them long enough to get into the superzoom market. I can see them bringing out an update to the 6000 in the near future, however, as in the top-end compact niche it's behind both the Canon S90 and Panasonic LX-3 in several important respects (not necessarily for digiscoping, but for the general photographer).

Digiscope adapter ?

I just started digiscoping with Kowa TSN 883 and I managed this in my first day with P6000. I was testing camera at feeding station. Distance was 5 meters.

Eyepiece is 20x-60x (photographed at 20x).

Hello trco.
Hope you catch this quote(1 year later !!!!)
Using also Kowa TSN 883 and P6000 en route via Amazon.
I was told the morning that the P6000 was a poor choice of camera for the 883 because i would need a special digiscoping adapter.
Your photo of the bluetit is superb,congratulations.
What adapter are you using ?:t:

Last edited:
Since P6000 is now discontinued, which model is its replacement from Nikon?

There doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement for the P6000 yet but I'm sure there will be one soon as Nikon have a long history of quality "digiscoping friendly " camera for over 10 years.
Having a look at the current lineup I found this
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cps4000.asp
which might be ok. It doesn't seem to have threads for an adapter though but it does do 3 fps which is nice.

You could look for a second hand P6000 but even B and H don't have them anymore.

Here is a night heron taken with the P6000. The first photo is a crop straight out of the camera and the second is processed in CS2. Hard to beat the detail from this camera.
Neil

ps taken at iso 200

Nikon P6000 plus Swarovski STM80HD scope and Swarovski 25-50x zoom eyepiece and UCA adapter and Telescope Rail

Singapore.
April 2010

Attachments

• bc night heron breed P6000 crop DSCN0954.jpg
    bc night heron breed P6000 crop DSCN0954.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 260
  • bc night heron breed P6000 iso200 c  DSCN0954.jpg
    bc night heron breed P6000 iso200 c DSCN0954.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 293
I will give it a close look. Without a suitable lens adapter, it may be an issue for me.

I will soon be putting my 6000 as well as a swing out bracket (baader) for sale, (i have som small screw-on-adapters as well). Let me know if you are interested. (putting it on ebay probably)

There doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement for the P6000 yet but I'm sure there will be one soon as Nikon have a long history of quality "digiscoping friendly " camera for over 10 years.
Having a look at the current lineup I found this
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cps4000.asp
which might be ok. It doesn't seem to have threads for an adapter though but it does do 3 fps which is nice.

You could look for a second hand P6000 but even B and H don't have them anymore.

Here is a night heron taken with the P6000. The first photo is a crop straight out of the camera and the second is processed in CS2. Hard to beat the detail from this camera.
Neil

ps taken at iso 200

Nikon P6000 plus Swarovski STM80HD scope and Swarovski 25-50x zoom eyepiece and UCA adapter and Telescope Rail

Singapore.
April 2010

Wow Neil !!
I have just purchased a used P6000 (yet to arrive)
Looking at your wonderfull pictures makes me wish i'd purchased a better quality scope :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back