• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon D90 DSLR (1 Viewer)

Neil, great photos as usual,,

when are you going to have a garage sale of all your old equipment,,???o:)

Derry

All great shots, Neil. Do you know beforehand what step-up/down rings you need or is this a trial and error thing you find out at the camera store?

Sorry Guys, as pointed out by K , I've posted P6000 RAW images in this thread in error. I would like to say it was deliberate to see if anyone was paying attention, but unfortunately it wasn't . I'll make a disclaimer on that thread. Neil.

I'm sorry I've been a bit tardy in getting some RAW images into this thread but I was away all last week on a mercy mission.
These images were taken yesterday in my mate's garden from about 10 metres in dull light while drinking coffee ( my preferred method of digiscoping ).
There was a little noise exposed during the processing ( Adobe DNG conversion and then CS2) so I ran them through Noiseware.
Neil

Nikon P6000 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope plus Sw 30x eyepiece and homemade balance bar

POSTED IN ERROR - NIKON P6000 IMAGES

All great shots, Neil. Do you know beforehand what step-up/down rings you need or is this a trial and error thing you find out at the camera store?

I'm lucky here that I have a little shop tucked away in an arcade in Kowloon that sells adapters/converters/accessories. As it happens I already had the ones I needed.
The thread on the lens is the key as the faster lenses have bigger threads. You can get this info from the len's manufacturers site or one of the many sites that cover lenses. I couldn't find a 62/52 step down ring , so I have 62/58 58/52. This makes it a little thicker than I would like as the camera lens can't get as close. Neil.

A few more digiscoped images from the D90 yesterday. Neil.

Nikon D90 plus Nikon 20/2.8 D lens and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and homemade balance bar.

Hong Kong Wetland Park,
Hong Kong,
China.
October 2008

Attachments

• grey heron D90_DSC0522.jpg
    grey heron D90_DSC0522.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 244
  • grey heron D90_DSC0453.jpg
    grey heron D90_DSC0453.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 212
I took the D90 out to the local park today with the Nikon P6000 as we had some nice light and I wanted to see what the camera would do with close subjects. These were taken from 7 - 25 metres. The Nikon 20/2.8 D is a very sharp lens with good color but I'm looking for a 35 mm for a bit more reach. Neil.

Nikon D90 and Nikon 20/2.8 D lens on Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA and homemade balance bar

Hong Kong,
China .
October 2008

Attachments

• flamingo bathe D90_DSC0072.jpg
    flamingo bathe D90_DSC0072.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 173
  • flamingo juv D90_DSC0169.jpg
    flamingo juv D90_DSC0169.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 199
  • mandarin duck male bathe D90_DSC0631.jpg
    mandarin duck male bathe D90_DSC0631.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 226
:t: I particularly like the Juv Flamingo (centre pic)
Is there any possibility you could post a picture of the uncropped version straight from the camera, I am interested in seeing how much vignetting there is with your setup.
The D90 is one of the cameras I am considering purchasing to try to get more detail into my digiscoped pictures. More weight to lug around, but if I can I will.:-O

He is an uncropped image taken using the Nikon 20/2.8 D lens. As you can see the vignetting is minimal so that with a 28 mm lens or longer there will be no vignetting. Neil.

Attachments

• duck D90 uncropped_DSC0183.jpg
    duck D90 uncropped_DSC0183.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 258
Thanks Neil for posting the uncropped picture. Did you have the two step rings on, connected to the DCA for that picture?

The Nikon 20/2.8 D is reckoned to be a good sharp lens, can you get a 28mm with as good resolution.

Malc

Got myself a D90 today (yes I know the Pannny G1 is out tommorrow) trying out a 35mm 1.2D lens as a start. This is the first digital SLR I have owned, so bit of a minefield with all the settings available. But good news is my tilt up adaptor I made, accomodates the D90 easily (I made it to be)
When you use the DCA and connect the D90 with the step rings, you use manual focus, do you focus the scope first, then focus the lens, or leave on infinity?
Could you also say what focus point you use.

Malc

Got myself a D90 today (yes I know the Pannny G1 is out tommorrow) trying out a 35mm 1.2D lens as a start. This is the first digital SLR I have owned, so bit of a minefield with all the settings available. But good news is my tilt up adaptor I made, accomodates the D90 easily (I made it to be)
When you use the DCA and connect the D90 with the step rings, you use manual focus, do you focus the scope first, then focus the lens, or leave on infinity?
Could you also say what focus point you use.

Malc

Malc,
Well done on your purchase. The 35/1.2 D should be ideal for digiscoping. Also a good walk-around lens too.
For AF I have Dynamic Area selected and Center Point. I haven't tried any other settings yet. I leave the lens focus in middle distance and just focus using the scope. I only occasionally use the lens focus for minor adjustments.
Neil.

ps the first photo shows the view from the hide at HK Wetland Park with some digiscoped photos from yesterday with the D90.

Attachments

• digiscoping mudflat hide DSCN0750.jpg
    digiscoping mudflat hide DSCN0750.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 190
  • grey herons nik20mm sw30x D90_DSC0152.jpg
    grey herons nik20mm sw30x D90_DSC0152.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 187
  • intermediate egret nik20mm sw20x D90_DSC0426.jpg
    intermediate egret nik20mm sw20x D90_DSC0426.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 218
  • little egret nik20mm sw30x D90_DSC0199.jpg
    little egret nik20mm sw30x D90_DSC0199.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for the info Neil, and some brilliant pictures.
It's pouring with rain here today, very dull and just 5 degrees centigrade, but just had to try out the D90.
From the conservatory door looking out into the garden.

One very wet Robin, not as good as your pictures Neil but something for me to build on.

Nikon ED82 with 30xDS eyepiece, Nikon D90 35mm f/2.0D af at Iso 2000 f2.5 1/60sec

Malc

Attachments

• DSC_0009res.jpg
    DSC_0009res.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back