• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The amazing Contax SL300RT* (1 Viewer)

Following Andy's comments re this little camera I thought I'd pop a couple of pics taken today with this camera.These pictures are taken with the camera held to one of my binocular eyepieces.The camera has not been set as Andy advised for digiscoping,it was just as it came out of the box.The Swan and Canada goose were taken in quite windy conditions high up on the sea defences,I aslo enclose a pic taken of the Canada geese just with the camera on its own.Please ignore the quality as such of the images,the Swan seems to have a blue line.I just thought I would show how it could be used,just going out without scope etc,and if one wanted to take a larger image for ID etc,it could be useful.Battery life is quite short,but batteries can be obtained from Euro Batteries.com and they also have a battery charger.Batteries from this company are £19-95,as opposed to ones from the dealer which range from £30-£39.The charger costs £14.An amazingly light little camera which slips easily into a wallet/pocket,and I took some excellent ones of our dog whils't taking him for his walk.

Attachments

• Contax test-13th July.copy 1 026.jpg
    Contax test-13th July.copy 1 026.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Contax test-13th July.copy 1 037.jpg
    Contax test-13th July.copy 1 037.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Contax test-13th July.copy 1 042.jpg
    Contax test-13th July.copy 1 042.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Contax test-13th July.copy 1 035.jpg
    Contax test-13th July.copy 1 035.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 192
Excellent, Christine. The Swan is the pick of the bunch for me, the blue fringing is down to your binoculars but simple enough to cure in-computer if you so desired.

I hadn't appreciated how useful this tiny camera can be when used with a pair of binos, it's far easier to hold both at the same time than with a typical digiscoping camera. With a bit of support, leaning against a tree or whatever, you can get some good sharp shots.

I've had a play with my Contax this morning in combination with the new Zeiss FL binos... gloomy weather as usual but at iso200 I managed some reasonable shots. No vignetting at all, even at full wide-angle on the camera.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the new batteries and external charger, it sounds ideal... carry a few batteries around with you is no problem when they're smaller than a compactflash card. I looked at that site but they don't seem to have stock of that multi-format charger just yet.
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• contaxzeissFL4.jpg
    contaxzeissFL4.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 320
Thanks,Andy,it is an amazing little camera,I agree.Have not had a chance to try with the scope,need to put it to your settings,but if the weather does not improve will take a few digiscope pics from the upstairs window.What does strike me as being useful is that as this camera is so light,it should not tip the scope in the air..I don.t think the Euro Batteries last quite as long as the original,but for the price ,it doesn,t really matter,and I am still waiting for the charger,it was around the 20th they said it would be in stock.Apparently,this camera is used by the police in America,to take pics at the crime scenes when crimes are being enacted,eg motoring offences etc,as it reads so very quickly to the card.

Hi,
I'm very tempted to get one of these as my first digital camera, I've a Zeiss zoom eye-piece. Any recommendations regarding which adapter to go for?
Thanks
Michael

Kyocera SL400R

Hi Andy
I noticed a post on another forum from you expressing interest in the Kyocera SL400R version of this camera.
I've decided to take a gamble and ordered one yesterday. I should get it on Monday, so I'll let you know how well I get on with it next week.

It should be intersting to see how well the 4mp sensor holds up and compare the results with the standard Zeiss lens without the T* coating.

I was wondering, are you getting cameras for evaluation purposes, or are you just buying lots of cameras Andy ;)

Cheers
Andy Holt

michaeln said:
Hi,
I'm very tempted to get one of these as my first digital camera, I've a Zeiss zoom eye-piece. Any recommendations regarding which adapter to go for?
Thanks
Michael
Any adapter that has a 28mm thread will be fine... so the common ones like London Camera Exchange or EagleEye 'Digimount' will be fine. Even the more expensive ones like the Spidertech will be fine (and the 20-60x version will have a cut-out to operate the zoom).
As the camera is so tiny and lends itself to quick shots of opportunity (with it's rapid speed), it seems a shame to bog it down with anything too heavy ... even without an adapter, just holding the camera up to the eyepiece, a string of quickfire shots will often produce one sharp one.
Regards,
Andy

Andy Holt said:
Hi Andy
I noticed a post on another forum from you expressing interest in the Kyocera SL400R version of this camera.
I've decided to take a gamble and ordered one yesterday. I should get it on Monday, so I'll let you know how well I get on with it next week.

It should be intersting to see how well the 4mp sensor holds up and compare the results with the standard Zeiss lens without the T* coating.

I was wondering, are you getting cameras for evaluation purposes, or are you just buying lots of cameras Andy ;)

Cheers
Andy Holt
I was mentioning the Kyocera in the hope that Contax may do something with this (maybe with an i.r. sensor for remote).... I'm not sure the standard Kyocera's come with the 28mm filter adapter, the Kyocera version of the SL300 certainly isn't supplied with the 28mm adapter.

It will be interesting to see how much difference the Zeiss T* makes, personally I'd rather go for the good glass at the expense of 1mp of res (if the ccd or tiny amount of glass can cope with an extra 1mp anyway)

Try to get the fastest SD cards you can, Dane-Elec seem the fastest to me.

I'm afraid they're all just loaners :( but I'm impressed enough by this camera to buy one.
Look forward to hearing and seeing the results of your new camera.
Regards,
Andy

For what they are worth,here are a couple of pics to compare the 2 cameras. .6and 7 are digiscoped with a Nikon 4500 and 35 and 36 are with the Contax.Conditions were not ideal as it was quite overcast.But the images were taken within the same timescale and the exact same distance.Gull on the pub roof.I just gave a quick brightness and contrast enhancement in Photoshop as they were rather dark.
I could have done a better job with the Contax if I had have been using the lCE adaptor.But it may give an idea as to the quality of the little Contax.

Attachments

• Contax v Nikon test17th July 006.jpg
    Contax v Nikon test17th July 006.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Contax v Nikon test17th July 007.jpg
    Contax v Nikon test17th July 007.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Contax v Nikon test17th July 035.jpg
    Contax v Nikon test17th July 035.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Contax v Nikon test17th July 036.jpg
    Contax v Nikon test17th July 036.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 173
Christine I have now got the Contax and am looking to get a spare battery and charger - I could not find the £14 charger on the eurobatteries site - could you possibly post a link.

Many thanks.

Andy Bright said:
I was mentioning the Kyocera in the hope that Contax may do something with this (maybe with an i.r. sensor for remote).... I'm not sure the standard Kyocera's come with the 28mm filter adapter, the Kyocera version of the SL300 certainly isn't supplied with the 28mm adapter.

It will be interesting to see how much difference the Zeiss T* makes, personally I'd rather go for the good glass at the expense of 1mp of res (if the ccd or tiny amount of glass can cope with an extra 1mp anyway)

Try to get the fastest SD cards you can, Dane-Elec seem the fastest to me.

I'm afraid they're all just loaners :( but I'm impressed enough by this camera to buy one.
Look forward to hearing and seeing the results of your new camera.
Regards,
Andy
The Kyocera 3.2 version is selling on QVC for £284

kryptora said:
Christine I have now got the Contax and am looking to get a spare battery and charger - I could not find the £14 charger on the eurobatteries site - could you possibly post a link.

Many thanks.
Phil,if you go to Eurobatteries .com there is a phone no.I rang them to check the batteries were correct and asked re a battery charger at the same time.They did not send a receipt with the batteries,perhaps are waiting til the charger is in stock.I think it was around £14 but could be wrong.If I have not heard by the end of this week,will hunt out the site and phone no,give them a ring and I will get back to you.Incidentally the little belt loop attached tothe back of the case,is ideal for slipping a spare battery through.Koycera are sending me a spare adaptor thread tommorow,as I got mine stuck on the LCE adaptor,as I screwed it onto the wrong thread and could not remove it,without it breaking,as they are rather flimsy.

Phil the phone no is 01454 416005.I will ring them tommorrow and check re the charger,and check I have the correct price.

christineredgate said:
.......as I got mine stuck on the LCE adaptor,as I screwed it onto the wrong thread and could not remove it,without it breaking,as they are rather flimsy.
I had a little trouble removing my LCE adapter from the 28mm Contax adapter, i pushed a solid object into the rectangular hole on the plastic adater and turned gently. I have now rubbed some wax onto the thread to stop this happening again. Although if this is your only digiscoping camera, there's no real need to remove the plastic adapter from the digiscoping adapter.

Good example photos, Christine... doesn't seem much in it between the cameras, i expect the slight vignetting was caused by hand holding and not quite getting correct alignment between camera lens and scope eyepiece.

Christine - thanks for your response - here is a first attempt without the lce adaptor - handheld - I think tht this camera is going to be very useful- quicker and easier to use than my Canon G5.
christineredgate said:
Phil,if you go to Eurobatteries .com there is a phone no.I rang them to check the batteries were correct and asked re a battery charger at the same time.They did not send a receipt with the batteries,perhaps are waiting til the charger is in stock.I think it was around £14 but could be wrong.If I have not heard by the end of this week,will hunt out the site and phone no,give them a ring and I will get back to you.Incidentally the little belt loop attached tothe back of the case,is ideal for slipping a spare battery through.Koycera are sending me a spare adaptor thread tommorow,as I got mine stuck on the LCE adaptor,as I screwed it onto the wrong thread and could not remove it,without it breaking,as they are rather flimsy.

Attachments

• 102_0449.JPG
    102_0449.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 275
Phil,have just remembered,sorry.I phoned Euro batteries this morning,yes I had muddled the price.The price of the charger is £34,and they said they should be in stock on July 30th
I think you will see by your pic,Phil that this little camera is very versatile,although long distance landscape shots were not so hot.But I bought it as a Digiscoping camera and a fun camera to slip into ones pocket and take the opportunist shot.
Thanks,Andy,I am glad it was not me being fumble fingered.I have sent for a second adaptor to remain fixed to the Contax,as the Nikon one is never removed either.

I have just posted this on the digiscoping accessories forum but will post it here as well. A simple and neat cable-release adapter is now available for the Contax SL300RT* camera (and it will fit the similar Kyocera models). It's available from Penine Photographic & Binocular centre in Rochdale www.pennineonline.com
It works perfectly an is far less bulky than the ones used for Nikons.

I may be suffering post blindness but has anyone actually tested how long a battery lasts in this camera when shooting at a regular pace in digi-scoping? without the outlay of an external charger it would be impracticable to spend 3 hours charging the internal battery when for instance on a foreign birding trip---also how many images do you get on a 256mb card or does this vary with the recording system---sorry but got lost in the technical stuff on this one--adding the cost of charger, spare batteries and lots of card plus the £324 outlay this camera starts to sound less of a bargain---the 20cm wide angle macro facility sounds to be useless for insects
GPC

graham catley said:
I may be suffering post blindness but has anyone actually tested how long a battery lasts in this camera when shooting at a regular pace in digi-scoping? without the outlay of an external charger it would be impracticable to spend 3 hours charging the internal battery when for instance on a foreign birding trip---also how many images do you get on a 256mb card or does this vary with the recording system---sorry but got lost in the technical stuff on this one--adding the cost of charger, spare batteries and lots of card plus the £324 outlay this camera starts to sound less of a bargain---the 20cm wide angle macro facility sounds to be useless for insects
GPC
'A regular pace in digiscoping'? Not sure if I can quantify that. I would say three batteries would be ample for a days hard shooting. Although this is extra outlay, so would a few sets of good nimh AA's or a couple of Li-Ion type batteries that you would carry with you anyway... and these batteries take up no space as they are not much larger than the size of a compactflash card.

An external charger would be the best bet, though full charging with these batteries is less than 90mins.

As to how many images on a 256mb card ... roughly 145-155 at full size/fine jpg... though you will get more if you are shooting birds with featureless backgrounds (sky, water).

Not sure about the macro for insects, I am looking at this camera from a digiscoping perspective?

As for total cost... how much can you buy a new cp4500 for? (not that that camera has been in production for the last 12 months+)... how much did the cp4500 cost when released? Are there any other cameras suitable for digiscoping currently available (utilising the popular digiscoping adapters?)

I'm a little surprised at your lack of enthusiam, Graham. These mildly negative aspects pale into insignificance compared to the speed of this camera, the results and the ease in which you can get good photos. The fact that it is genuinely pocket sized should also be a blessing to the active birder.

I think it would do digiscopers a big favour in the long run if Nikon lost some of it's market share in digiscoping, it may be the kick up the backside they need.

Regards,
Andy

Hi Graham
I mentioned in my post about the Kyocera badged 4mp version of this camera that the macro function does not compare at all favourably with the coolpix cameras, and you do have a point regarding the need for extra batteries and an external charger to get a more practical digiscoping setup for this camera.

My view, having lived with this camera for a while now and owned all three coolpix swivel bodies since the 990 is that they offer different things to the digiscoper. Some may prefer the Contax/Kyocera and others will choose the Coolpix (while it's still available).

Having recently had some 10x8 prints from the Kyocera, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the quality of the images that this tiny camera is capable of producing, the prints are at least as good as anything I've produced with a coolpix under similar conditions.

The Kyocera/Contax is not the ultimate digiscoping camera, but then neither were any of the coolpix cameras. Despite the fact that in some important areas the Kyocera/Contax looses out to the Coolpix, at the moment I am choosing to use the Kyocera when I go out digiscoping as my primary camera mainly because I miss fewer shooting opportunities with it, and that is a very big factor for me. I take the coolpix along for macro work and as a back up in case anything pops up after the Kyocera batteries have run out ;)

I also agree with Andy that having another manufacturer apart from Nikon providing a viable digiscoping swivel body camera is very good news.

Cheers
Andy

Andy Bright said:
'A regular pace in digiscoping'? Not sure if I can quantify that. I would say three batteries would be ample for a days hard shooting. Although this is extra outlay, so would a few sets of good nimh AA's or a couple of Li-Ion type batteries that you would carry with you anyway... and these batteries take up no space as they are not much larger than the size of a compactflash card.

An external charger would be the best bet, though full charging with these batteries is less than 90mins.

As to how many images on a 256mb card ... roughly 145-155 at full size/fine jpg... though you will get more if you are shooting birds with featureless backgrounds (sky, water).

Not sure about the macro for insects, I am looking at this camera from a digiscoping perspective?

As for total cost... how much can you buy a new cp4500 for? (not that that camera has been in production for the last 12 months+)... how much did the cp4500 cost when released? Are there any other cameras suitable for digiscoping currently available (utilising the popular digiscoping adapters?)

I'm a little surprised at your lack of enthusiam, Graham. These mildly negative aspects pale into insignificance compared to the speed of this camera, the results and the ease in which you can get good photos. The fact that it is genuinely pocket sized should also be a blessing to the active birder.

I think it would do digiscopers a big favour in the long run if Nikon lost some of it's market share in digiscoping, it may be the kick up the backside they need.

Regards,
Andy
Apologies for sounding over negative on this one Andy but I was looking at the camera for an all round perspective as I do quite a lot of macro work as well and I would prefer to only carry one camera. The three hours re-charge time I got from a review which I read this afternoon on another site--maybe they had a low power supply!---a days hard shooting was the sort of pace I was meaning especially re foreign trips when you tend to go through more batteries and in some places the electric supply is not up to scratch--is there a non-recahrgeable battery that fits if the occasion arose where you could not get your batteries to charge up? The Coolpix 4300 is not ideal as it has no aperture priority but it works like the 880 and is only £220 although I see that it is also now discontinued!---I am indeed interested in the reported ease of getting a higher percentage of quality photos but I need to balance out the pros and cons for the not insignificant outlay against my old 880 which by the way developed 70% fogging over the inside of the external lens yesterday while digi-scoping Pied Flys in a light shower---it dried out in 40 minutes but it is a worrying aspect of the Nikon in humid conditions---I also agree that with a potentially large market out there Nikon need some stiff competition to make them get their act together (it worked with Zeiss!)
So apologies all round and thanks for the additional information---now how much are 5x 256mb cards and --------

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back