• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Alpha Nex 6 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil, can do but it will be something rather bland like rusty old can in the back yard.
For comparision of the DCB II and TLS APO will it matter which lens I put on the Nex-6 ?
I did find a Sigma 19mm for Nex in the bin and there is always the 16-50 power zoom. I realize 'fit' on the DBG II will be the limiting reagent.

Interesting experiment. I just ordered a TLS APO and use a DCB-I now. The TLS APO has a 30 mm lens in it, so I think the best comparison wll be with a 30 mm lens on the Nex-6.

Neil, can do but it will be something rather bland like rusty old can in the back yard.
For comparision of the DCB II and TLS APO will it matter which lens I put on the Nex-6 ?
I did find a Sigma 19mm for Nex in the bin and there is always the 16-50 power zoom. I realize 'fit' on the DBG II will be the limiting reagent.

Use both. I'm interesting in seeing how the 19 mm Sigma performs.
Neil

Well the only 30mm I have for e-mount is the 30mm macro.....hmmmmm, but at 3.5 it's drastically slow for d'scoping I'd think at this point in my learning process.

OK. So I'll give the Nex + 35 1.8 a try and the Sigma 19mm 2.8.
But any point with the 16-50 PZ, again its slow at 3.5 max ap. ??

Forgot to add, pouring rain for the day so might be a bit....

Sigma 30mm 2.8 for MFT seen here before

There is an older tread on the sigma 30mm 2.8 lens for MFT:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=225964&highlight=sigma+30mm&page=2.
it would be good to know whether the newer version performs even better than its predecessor already did.

When circumstances allow it is still a very capable lens. Less contrasty than the pany 20mm, but a much faster and more reliable AF. Also, I can leave the eye cup on the eyepiece of the scope, which is very convenient in switching form birding to photography.

Regards,
Sjerp

Attachments

• SP-P1080513-140306.jpg
    SP-P1080513-140306.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 212
  • SP-P1080751-140315.jpg
    SP-P1080751-140315.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I feel like d'scoping with the DCB II is more like what I thought d'scoping would be like versus useing the TLS APO. Being able to half-press the shutter and focus is nice but I have to pre-focus with the Swaro Optik anyway so I wonder if there is truly an advantage there over manual focusing with the TLS APO.
BUT at first I thought I had failure. Neither the Sigma 19mm or the Sony 35mm would fit :(
Then I discovered that when sliding the DCB II onto the scope NOT to go all the way, that the DCB II would still clamp down enough (I tested by trying to pull the rig off and could not).....Of course I'd feel safer if it would go all the way down before clamping---anyone else experience this?
I only shot for a few minutes with the Nex-6 + SEL 35 1.8, I like the results and am learning step by step.
Evidently the size difference between the Sigma 30mm and the Sony 35mm is just enough to matter:
sigma . 2.39 x 1.59"
sony Approx. 2.55 x 1.77"
At the very end I saw the light, now the DCB II fits just fine....great what a pair of reading glasses can do :)

Attachments

• Red Headed Flicker.jpg
    Red Headed Flicker.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 239
  • MOck SeeD.jpg
    MOck SeeD.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I feel like d'scoping with the DCB II is more like what I thought d'scoping would be like versus useing the TLS APO. Being able to half-press the shutter and focus is nice but I have to pre-focus with the Swaro Optik anyway so I wonder if there is truly an advantage there over manual focusing with the TLS APO.
BUT at first I thought I had failure. Neither the Sigma 19mm or the Sony 35mm would fit :(
Then I discovered that when sliding the DCB II onto the scope NOT to go all the way, that the DCB II would still clamp down enough (I tested by trying to pull the rig off and could not).....Of course I'd feel safer if it would go all the way down before clamping---anyone else experience this?
I only shot for a few minutes with the Nex-6 + SEL 35 1.8, I like the results and am learning step by step.
Evidently the size difference between the Sigma 30mm and the Sony 35mm is just enough to matter:
sigma . 2.39 x 1.59"
sony Approx. 2.55 x 1.77"
At the very end I saw the light, now the DCB II fits just fine....great what a pair of reading glasses can do :)

That's the way I use it. I push it on then pull it back a bit so it extends out two mms. This also helps to block side light from hitting the lens.
The Sigma is a very snug fit.
Neil.

Last edited:
^agreed and confirmed today the Sigma is tight....glad I tried it though. I could tell a demonstrable difference between it and the SEL 35 1.8 in speed/iq, well the whole nine yards.
I also played with the Nex-7 today as well and I remembered Neil saying the write speed was/could be an issue due to its 30% larger sensor. That wasn't an issue for me today (but could be in the future) because the intended targets were never in one spot long enough even to get the 10fps off!
Less than a month and we can experiment with the fast autofocus Sony ever!

Now something else please.
On the Swaro 95mm the images I can get at 25X are stellar and up there with my best Canon glass BUT beyond 50x and it's turning up rather blah. I assume this is normal and the tips Neil pointed out in an above post can help but in all honestly beyond 50x even with the best techniques and weather can I ever expect anything dazzling sharp?
Not that I'm complaining-at all. Already the 95mm has shown me huge potential, and that well its really up to me and the effort I'll put into it.
Thanks.

^agreed and confirmed today the Sigma is tight....glad I tried it though. I could tell a demonstrable difference between it and the SEL 35 1.8 in speed/iq, well the whole nine yards.
I also played with the Nex-7 today as well and I remembered Neil saying the write speed was/could be an issue due to its 30% larger sensor. That wasn't an issue for me today (but could be in the future) because the intended targets were never in one spot long enough even to get the 10fps off!

Now something else please.
On the Swaro 95mm the images I can get at 25X are stellar and up there with my best Canon glass BUT beyond 50x and it's turning up rather blah. I assume this is normal and the tips Neil pointed out in an above post can help but in all honestly beyond 50x even with the best techniques and weather can I ever expect anything dazzling sharp?
Not that I'm complaining-at all. Already the 95mm has shown me huge potential, and that well its really up to me and the effort I'll put into it.
Thanks.

I suspect that there is an inverse rule about increasing magnfication and dropping resolution. I find that you get sharper shots by manually focusing. Over 50x I mostly use it for video. Also you are magnifying any pollution/haze/humidity between you and the subject.
Neil.

Thanks.

If you don't use RAW with the Nex 7 it's not too slow ( the Fujis were much slower) and you have more cropping room.
Also, as you can hear the mirror on the Nexes I imagine there is is vibration at higher magnifiction and the shutter speeds are lower.
Neil.

Sorry Neil but you are wrong!

The new Fuji X-T1 is the first camera which support the new UHS Class II SDHC cards for example the Toshiba „Exceria Pro“ 16 GByte UHS Class II SDHC Card).:t:
This will enable the Fuji X-T1 to make 45 jpegs or 25 raws in continuous mode that means per second 7,1 jpegs or 7,2 raws.:t:
The Sony Nex 6 only could make 9 raws and 11 jpegs in continuous mode.

Do not bash the Fuji cameras.;)

rgds Werner

If you don't use RAW with the Nex 7 it's not too slow ( the Fujis were much slower)

Last edited:
Sorry Neil but you are wrong!

The new Fuji X-T1 is the first camera which support the new UHS Class II SDHC cards for example the Toshiba „Exceria Pro“ 16 GByte UHS Class II SDHC Card).:t:
This will enable the Fuji X-T1 to make 45 jpegs or 25 raws in continuous mode that means per second 7,1 jpegs and 7,2 raws.:t:
The Sony Nex 6 only could make 9 raws and 11 jpegs in continuous mode.

Do not bash the Fuji cameras.;)

rgds Werner

That's good to know Wernier. My X100 takes about 1 second per frame to clear the buffer. Can you keep shooting while the camera is processing?
Neil

There is no stop clearing the buffer (... on the fly) so you can keep shooting while the camera is processing.

Werner

Last edited:
nex 6 or 7

Hi there,

Thinking of upgrading my digiscoping camera, after having used a Nikon P6000 for the past few years. I was initially going to go for a Nikon V2 but having recently seen a Nex 7 in action and reading this thread I'm leaning more towards the Sony's.

Which is the best model out of the two Nex's or is there another Camara I should be considering?

I have a Leica APO 77 scope and tend to digiscope with a fixed 20x lens or at 20x on the 20-60 zoom. I only use threaded sleeve adapters, I presuming I will be to use this with a Nex.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks

Cheers

Rob

Hi there,

Thinking of upgrading my digiscoping camera, after having used a Nikon P6000 for the past few years. I was initially going to go for a Nikon V2 but having recently seen a Nex 7 in action and reading this thread I'm leaning more towards the Sony's.

Which is the best model out of the two Nex's or is there another Camara I should be considering?

I have a Leica APO 77 scope and tend to digiscope with a fixed 20x lens or at 20x on the 20-60 zoom. I only use threaded sleeve adapters, I presuming I will be to use this with a Nex.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...thanks

Cheers

Rob

Rob
You have lots of choice these days at all price points. The Nex 6 is more functional than the Nex 7 for digiscoping. You also have the Panasonic GX7 plus 20/1.7 lens or one of the Fujis.
The best digicam is the Sony RX100 M2 but the Nikon P330 also does a good job.
Compare features and price and see which suits you.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back